2.1 or 5.1 ?? 100$ budget

Status
Not open for further replies.

chobocolin

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
Hello comunity !
I am curently upgrading my room setup so I can play starcraft 2 and listen to music with better qualitys.
To do so, I am buying a 5770 graphic card or a gts450 (not sure yet) to replace my 8600 gt
And I am replacing my old 2.0 speaker.They look very ulgy, the sound is not very good and they are big.

Now I have a question about the sound.

1st, Do I need a sound card to listen to good music or is my motherboard good enough ? It is a ASUS P5G41-M LE

2nd, I think I will save money on the shipping if i buy the graphic card and the speaker at the same time on newegg.CA .Am I right or are the price fixed ?

So, as always, I would the best I can get for my money! I have around 100$ for them.I think That is good enough right ?
should I go for 2.1 or 5.1 ? as I am pretty sure 2.0 just sucks..
I will use them for listening to movies and playing games in my room.

I found those Logitech Z313 2.1 Speaker System 59 ( in special) + 9 ship
and those
Creative Inspire T3130 2.1 Speakers 55 + 15 ship
Logitech Z323 30 Watts (RMS) 2.1 Speaker System 83 +9 ship
Logitech X-540 70 watts 5.1 Speakers 94 + 11 Out of stock ..

wow they are no 5.1 available on newegg.ca
guess I can buy them at my futurshop ( in person , I live really close to one.)
Logitech Speaker System2.1 (Z523) 85 $ wow cheaper then newegg

Logitech 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers System (Z506) 110$
Logitech 5.1 Surround Speaker System (X-540) 110$

I am a total beginer in term of speaker.I dont know what to chek for.
I have no clue whats the diference betwen the x540 and the z506.

So, will I enjoy 5.1 better or are the 5.1 system at 100$ too cheap ??

Is my mobo good enough or will it be a bottleneck for the quality of the sound?A friend told me no but then what are the sound card for? music mixing??

will I save money on combining shipping ? ( I will probably buy at futureshop anyway)

And last but not least, send me your favorite brand and models I shoud get for around 100 $ 150 max$ if it's that much better on the long run

Now the list contain almost only logitech stuff but I am very open minded to all the brand .I just dont know them ( the cheap and the good ones)

THANKS

Babelfish112

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
Hi, i also want a 5.1 pc speaker system. is the Logitech X-540 70 watts 5.1 Speakers any good? this is the one i was seriously looking at. i also want to stay around the $150 margin.
sorry i dont have an answer,no one's replying my own thread!

Babelfish112

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
thanks alot for those suggestions rexter!
but yes, I definitely want 5.1 speakers, but im in Australia.
Id rather stay with a Logitech system, (or maybe Altec/Creative ?) since I can get them cheaper here without overseas postage. At my local computer store they have
Logitech X-530 for $57 AUD and Logitech Z506 for $124 AUD
and the Logitech Z5500THX (top of the range one!) is $364, way out of my price range!

@rexter. you said the X530's were muddy, how are the Z506 in comparison?
http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/10/logitech-z506-review/
this review (read the conclusion) favours the X530 model, for some reason.

any more ideas/suggestions what I should get? i am willing to go up to $150-$200 if I must!
thx, Craig

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I found Creative and Altec Lansing speakers are clearer sounds than Logitech but with the tweeter addition on the Z506 so it might worth having a second look on Logitech. But I'd still prefer JBL, Creative or Cambridge at the same price range though, and that's because I'm not big on bass if the sound is not richer. Unfortunately, I haven't heard the Z506 yet so I can't comment on its sound.

As of now, I have my X530 center and rear speakers replace with creative satellite, except for the front because of the control.

Babelfish112

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010

Thanks so much rexter, exactly what I wanted to know!
I've been put off the Logitech Z506 since I heard that it has a 3D matrix feature that can't be turned off (so a 2 channel input will always be spread over 5 speakers).
So you're using the X530 with (mainly) Creative satellites? The Creatives probably sound better then!

I'm currently seriously considering buying the Creative Inspire T6160 5.1 speakers. They look quite good, and my
current system is a 2-channel Creative system which I'm very satisfied with the quality of.
Any thoughts (pros/cons) you know of? They seem good, and I don't want a too cheap system (the X530s are only $57 at my local store!)
Also, is the Inspire T6160 the best 5.1 without going to the more expensive Gigaworks 7-channel series?

Thanks again,
Craig

Babelfish112

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010

hmmmmm.................. decisions! thanks for the suggestions, but I think I want to stick with Creative or Logitech (from past purchases).
I'm now comparing the Creative Inspire T6160 and Logitech X530s. Do you think the Creative's sound better?
I just found this: http://review.techworld.com/personal-tech/3214726/creative-inspire-t6160-review/
What do you think?
It says the X530s are much better for the price range! So now I'm confused, what should I decide on?
I will primarily use it for gaming/music, by the way, and I like clarity, not a boomy bass (as ive heard some systems have!)
Thanks

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
If you have sound card like the X-Fi where you can adjust the frequency level then the Logitech would be fine, but between the two; I'd go for Creative... but that just me.

I can tell you that in my experience, I pay more attention of the sounds when listening to music than when I'm playing games. Why concentrate of sound quality of the game when I'm busy trying to win the game anyway? I'm sure others are different.

Babelfish112

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
wow! you still think the creative is better after that review? i guess i just take these reviews as truth, pretty much.
btw I only have an onboard soundcard, not wanting to buy another as its not worth it for a cheap-ish system such as the ones im looking at. the manual says it can do 6 channel, and control panel says SPDIF/HDMI/high def audio, so im assuming this is ok.

im now looking at logitech x540 (instead of x530) simply because its better :p
a few design improvements for a little more expense.

I agree with you about music and games. I honestly love quality music, so I listen on my good hifi system mostly. i wouldnt use my computer speakers to seriously listen to music, just primarily use it for new games I just bought (Crysis :p)

I like the fact that the logitechs can produce 5channel from a 2.1 signal eg music
by pressing the matrix option. the creative's cant do this! also has a nice remote (wired control). another review of the creatives called the sound 'mediocre'. this is pretty off-putting obviously!

I'll probably just go down to the local shop on the weekend and check out a couple of models, sample them if i can. the logitechs are $110 -ish and the creative $66! strange price difference, but im willing to pay for a 'better' system (lol no-one can agree what is 'better', it must just be personal taste!)

btw thanks rexter so much for your continuing replies! much much appreciated!!! :)

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
You're welcome. Your ears are the only tools who can tell which of the unit is better; not even a measuring device... When you audition the two system, you'll know which one is better for you. Don't forget to bring your favorite CDs. Good luck with your findings.

Babelfish112

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010

Thx :) Hopefully I will find something good! I only just now discovered that Logitech had another 5.1 system (not mentioned on their site) - the gaming series G51 5.1 speakers. THey're about $140 but they 'look' a hell of a lot nicer than the other logitech's. But what worries me is that they're a gaming system. Though I will use for gaming, will this mean that it will be only loud & boomy for COD explosions, but crappy clarity when listening to music? hmmmm i'm gonna have to figure out something here!
A detailed, in-depth review of the Logitech G51 surround system: http://techgage.com/article/logitech_g51_gaming_surround_speakers/1

Babelfish112

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2010
Hi again,
i really wanted to look at the G51 but I can't find anyone here in Melbourne who sells it!
Has it been discontinued? this is really annoying, if its not made anymore, i didnt need to consider it! :(
Failing this one, I think i'll look to the X540s instead (if i can find them!) everyone seems to have the X530s in stock, but no x540s! what's wrong with everyone? :(

smvgopi75

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
Logitech Z506 is not good as it has no well balanced sound output. The Mids is not good and Bass is weak and Muddy. Its Tweeter Design is fake. The Sub woofer has no cover protection and can be damaged very easily. Sub Woofer's Driver size is small and so the Bass Output is low and weak. Moreover it has slightly faster decoding output which is not pleasant to hear Melody Songs. For me after hearing its sound for more time I feel some inconvenience in my ears.

Status
Not open for further replies.