adding an hard drive

Hi,

I would like to add my old 10gig hard drive in my new 8300 Dell
computer as a second hard drive. Could there be a problem of compatibility
or a problem with the Dell warranty doing so?

Richard
12 answers Last reply
More about adding hard drive

    "Richard" <superrickynospamhereplease@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I would like to add my old 10gig hard drive in my new 8300 Dell
    > computer as a second hard drive. Could there be a problem of
    compatibility
    > or a problem with the Dell warranty doing so?
    >
    > Richard

    Nope. Jumper it as "cable select", put the green drive rails on and fit it
    to suit your needs. You won't have a problem unless you've got two CD
    drives AND a zip drive along with the hard drive....

    You'll want to connect the 10gb hard drive to the middle or IDE1 connector
    on the IDE1 ribbon cable.

    Stew

    "Richard" <superrickynospamhereplease@sympatico.ca> wrote in message news:<%W8hc.38102$Gp4.823505@news20.bellglobal.com>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I would like to add my old 10gig hard drive in my new 8300 Dell
    > computer as a second hard drive. Could there be a problem of compatibility
    > or a problem with the Dell warranty doing so?
    >
    > Richard

    "adding an hard drive"

    Title variations: adding a hard drive or adding an 'ard drive (Cockney
    or maybe it is Canadienese)

    Just kidding...of course!

    Thank you all for the information.

    Richard

    "Richard" <superrickynospamhereplease@sympatico.ca> a écrit dans le message
    de news:%W8hc.38102$Gp4.823505@news20.bellglobal.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I would like to add my old 10gig hard drive in my new 8300 Dell
    > computer as a second hard drive. Could there be a problem of
    compatibility
    > or a problem with the Dell warranty doing so?
    >
    > Richard

    Stew is correct, of course, and there won't be a problem with your Dell
    warranty either.

    Dell only supports the hardware that originally shipped with your computer,
    so they won't support your old drive or any problems caused by your old
    drive. But, like Stew wrote, installing your old drive is pretty
    straightforward and you'll do fine.

    Your computer's manual should have a section describing how to install a
    second hard drive, which is also worth looking at.

    Rocky

    "S.Lewis" <stew1960@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

    > "Richard" <superrickynospamhereplease@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I would like to add my old 10gig hard drive in my new 8300 Dell
    > > computer as a second hard drive. Could there be a problem of
    > compatibility
    > > or a problem with the Dell warranty doing so?
    > >
    > > Richard
    > >

    > Nope. Jumper it as "cable select", put the green drive rails on and fit
    it
    > to suit your needs. You won't have a problem unless you've got two CD
    > drives AND a zip drive along with the hard drive....
    >
    > You'll want to connect the 10gb hard drive to the middle or IDE1 connector
    > on the IDE1 ribbon cable.
    >

    > Stew

    Agreed - Absolutely look at the manual or the on-line information. You have
    to put the original drive in the lower bay and the additional drive in the
    top bay for the cable to fit correctly.

    http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/dim8300/sm/drives.htm#1103012

    "Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message
    > Stew is correct, of course, and there won't be a problem with your Dell
    > warranty either.
    >
    > Dell only supports the hardware that originally shipped with your
    computer,
    > so they won't support your old drive or any problems caused by your old
    > drive. But, like Stew wrote, installing your old drive is pretty
    > straightforward and you'll do fine.
    >
    > Your computer's manual should have a section describing how to install a
    > second hard drive, which is also worth looking at.
    >
    > Rocky
    >
    > "S.Lewis" <stew1960@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Richard" <superrickynospamhereplease@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > I would like to add my old 10gig hard drive in my new 8300 Dell
    > > > computer as a second hard drive. Could there be a problem of
    > > compatibility
    > > > or a problem with the Dell warranty doing so?
    > > >
    > > > Richard
    > > >

    > > Nope. Jumper it as "cable select", put the green drive rails on and fit
    > it
    > > to suit your needs. You won't have a problem unless you've got two CD
    > > drives AND a zip drive along with the hard drive....
    > >
    > > You'll want to connect the 10gb hard drive to the middle or IDE1
    connector
    > > on the IDE1 ribbon cable.
    > >

    > > Stew

    Like joe said.

    And don't do what I did the first time I replaced a hard drive. (It was long
    ago, so I can talk about it now.) I pulled out the floppy drive, thinking it
    was the hard drive. With the case open, they all looked the same to me. Then
    I somehow managed to cram the replacement hard drive into the floppy drive
    cage, which was quite a feat since the two drives are different sizes. But
    the ribbon cable for a floppy drive won't plug into a hard drive. That's
    when I threw in the towel and called Dell. When we finally figured out what
    I'd done, I got the tech to promise not to use my name when he told his
    buddies about the luser who couldn't tell the difference between a hard
    drive and a floppy drive.

    Rocky

    "joe_tide" <joetide@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > Agreed - Absolutely look at the manual or the on-line information. You
    have
    > to put the original drive in the lower bay and the additional drive in the
    > top bay for the cable to fit correctly.
    >
    > http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/dim8300/sm/drives.htm#1103012
    >
    > "Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message
    > > Stew is correct, of course, and there won't be a problem with your Dell
    > > warranty either.
    > >
    > > Dell only supports the hardware that originally shipped with your
    > computer,
    > > so they won't support your old drive or any problems caused by your old
    > > drive. But, like Stew wrote, installing your old drive is pretty
    > > straightforward and you'll do fine.
    > >
    > > Your computer's manual should have a section describing how to install a
    > > second hard drive, which is also worth looking at.
    > >
    > > Rocky
    > >
    > > "S.Lewis" <stew1960@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Richard" <superrickynospamhereplease@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

    Dell
    > > > compatibility

    > > > Nope. Jumper it as "cable select", put the green drive rails on and
    fit
    > > it
    > > > to suit your needs. You won't have a problem unless you've got two CD
    > > > drives AND a zip drive along with the hard drive....
    > > >
    > > > You'll want to connect the 10gb hard drive to the middle or IDE1
    > connector
    > > > on the IDE1 ribbon cable.
    > > >

    > > > Stew

    "Richard" <superrickynospamhereplease@sympatico.ca> wrote in
    message news:%W8hc.38102$Gp4.823505@news20.bellglobal.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I would like to add my old 10gig hard drive in my
    new 8300 Dell
    > computer as a second hard drive. Could there be a problem
    of compatibility
    > or a problem with the Dell warranty doing so?
    >
    > Richard

    If you have a Serial ATA drive installed and are installing
    an ATA 10 Gig, here is some info.

    I recently bought a Dell Dimension 8300 with a 120Gig HD. I
    took the 80Gig out of my old 4100 and installed it in the
    8300. The 120 Gig is a serial ATA drive and the 80Gig is an
    IDE. The power cable is in place in the case, but I had to
    use a ribbon cable for the 80 Gig. The BIOS didn't recognize
    the 80 Gig, so I called Dell Support. They got me
    straightened out by walking me through things that are not
    in the manual or on the site mentioned in this thread. First
    of all you move the installed drive to the bottom bay and
    put the 10 Gig in the top bay. There are two different color
    coded loose power cables hanging in the case. Hook the power
    cable to the 10 Gig drive, making sure it's the same type as
    is plugged into the original HD. Plug the ribbon cable into
    the empty black receptacle on the motherboard and plug the
    last, not middle, ribbon connector to the HD. As mentioned
    in this thread, the drive jumper should be set to
    cable-select (CS).

    This is where I'm not absolutely sure of the procedure, but
    it goes something like this.

    Once the connectors are all in place, boot the system. Press
    F2 at the DELL screen and get into the setup screen. Turn on
    the scroll lock, caps lock and numlock so that all three
    lights are ON. Then you press ALT-E, then ALT-F. As I said,
    there is a specific sequence of key strokes that must be
    followed and I'm NOT certain of it. Call Dell Support unless
    someone here can attest to the sequence.

    Once I did what the support guy told me, everything was
    fine.

    Good luck.

    Frank

    S.Lewis <stew1960@bellsouth.net> coughed up the following:

    > "Richard" <superrickynospamhereplease@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I would like to add my old 10gig hard drive in my new 8300 Dell
    >> computer as a second hard drive. Could there be a problem of
    >> compatibility or a problem with the Dell warranty doing so?
    >>
    >> Richard
    >>

    > Nope. Jumper it as "cable select", put the green drive rails on and
    > fit it to suit your needs. You won't have a problem unless you've
    > got two CD drives AND a zip drive along with the hard drive....
    >
    > You'll want to connect the 10gb hard drive to the middle or IDE1
    > connector on the IDE1 ribbon cable.

    WHOA, not enough! Not for sanity anyway.

    1. Be sure to tell the bios about your drive or else it'll be configured
    as PIO and not UDMA 5. Actually, just the adding of an un-bios-selected
    drive will also demote the ORIGINAL drive from UDMA 5 to UDMA 2.

    2. Be aware that the two drives may cause quite a racket. That's what
    mine did. When I added my old 7200rpm to my Dim8300, the harmonic
    resonances went through the roof as the two rythms beat against each
    other. NOISY.

    This is mostly because of that stupid drive bracket thing that everyone
    else seems to love so much. It just isn't a tight enough bond to the
    cage and the drive'll bounce around like a superball in a shoebox.

    On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 18:15:53 -0400, "Frank K." <fkozerski@comcast.net>
    wrote:

    >"Richard" <superrickynospamhereplease@sympatico.ca> wrote in
    >message news:%W8hc.38102$Gp4.823505@news20.bellglobal.com...
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I would like to add my old 10gig hard drive in my
    >new 8300 Dell
    >> computer as a second hard drive. Could there be a problem
    >of compatibility
    >> or a problem with the Dell warranty doing so?
    >>
    >> Richard
    >>

    >If you have a Serial ATA drive installed and are installing
    >an ATA 10 Gig, here is some info.
    >
    >I recently bought a Dell Dimension 8300 with a 120Gig HD. I
    >took the 80Gig out of my old 4100 and installed it in the
    >8300. The 120 Gig is a serial ATA drive and the 80Gig is an
    >IDE. The power cable is in place in the case, but I had to
    >use a ribbon cable for the 80 Gig. The BIOS didn't recognize
    >the 80 Gig, so I called Dell Support. They got me
    >straightened out by walking me through things that are not
    >in the manual or on the site mentioned in this thread. First
    >of all you move the installed drive to the bottom bay and
    >put the 10 Gig in the top bay. There are two different color
    >coded loose power cables hanging in the case. Hook the power
    >cable to the 10 Gig drive, making sure it's the same type as
    >is plugged into the original HD. Plug the ribbon cable into
    >the empty black receptacle on the motherboard and plug the
    >last, not middle, ribbon connector to the HD. As mentioned
    >in this thread, the drive jumper should be set to
    >cable-select (CS).
    >
    >This is where I'm not absolutely sure of the procedure, but
    >it goes something like this.
    >
    >Once the connectors are all in place, boot the system. Press
    >F2 at the DELL screen and get into the setup screen. Turn on
    >the scroll lock, caps lock and numlock so that all three
    >lights are ON. Then you press ALT-E, then ALT-F. As I said,
    >there is a specific sequence of key strokes that must be
    >followed and I'm NOT certain of it. Call Dell Support unless
    >someone here can attest to the sequence.

    I had the very same experience as you. When my Dimension XPS arrived
    last November (with single SATA drive), the first thing I did was
    attempt to install a 120gb ATA drive. I couldn't figure out how to
    get the BIOS to "welcome" it. Called tech support and got led down
    the same labyrinth of weirdness (including a couple on-holds for the
    tech to get help himself)--but an hour later, voila! I must admit I
    thought the guy was nuts when he directed me to "turn on all the
    lights" on my keyboard--voodoo!! :-)

    Before calling I had installed my second drive (as I always had in the
    past) as a 'slave,' not 'cable-select' as often mentioned here. Works
    fine.

    --John W. Wells

    Jumpering a drive as Slave AND putting it on the middle (Slave) connector
    WILL work fine. Jumpering it as Slave and putting it on the end (Master)
    connector will not.

    Tom
    "John W. Wells" <djinn@7Tsimmery.axe> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 18:15:53 -0400, "Frank K." <fkozerski@comcast.net>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >"Richard" <superrickynospamhereplease@sympatico.ca> wrote in
    > >message news:%W8hc.38102$Gp4.823505@news20.bellglobal.com...
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> I would like to add my old 10gig hard drive in my
    > >new 8300 Dell
    > >> computer as a second hard drive. Could there be a problem
    > >of compatibility
    > >> or a problem with the Dell warranty doing so?
    > >>
    > >> Richard
    > >>

    > >If you have a Serial ATA drive installed and are installing
    > >an ATA 10 Gig, here is some info.
    > >
    > >I recently bought a Dell Dimension 8300 with a 120Gig HD. I
    > >took the 80Gig out of my old 4100 and installed it in the
    > >8300. The 120 Gig is a serial ATA drive and the 80Gig is an
    > >IDE. The power cable is in place in the case, but I had to
    > >use a ribbon cable for the 80 Gig. The BIOS didn't recognize
    > >the 80 Gig, so I called Dell Support. They got me
    > >straightened out by walking me through things that are not
    > >in the manual or on the site mentioned in this thread. First
    > >of all you move the installed drive to the bottom bay and
    > >put the 10 Gig in the top bay. There are two different color
    > >coded loose power cables hanging in the case. Hook the power
    > >cable to the 10 Gig drive, making sure it's the same type as
    > >is plugged into the original HD. Plug the ribbon cable into
    > >the empty black receptacle on the motherboard and plug the
    > >last, not middle, ribbon connector to the HD. As mentioned
    > >in this thread, the drive jumper should be set to
    > >cable-select (CS).
    > >
    > >This is where I'm not absolutely sure of the procedure, but
    > >it goes something like this.
    > >
    > >Once the connectors are all in place, boot the system. Press
    > >F2 at the DELL screen and get into the setup screen. Turn on
    > >the scroll lock, caps lock and numlock so that all three
    > >lights are ON. Then you press ALT-E, then ALT-F. As I said,
    > >there is a specific sequence of key strokes that must be
    > >followed and I'm NOT certain of it. Call Dell Support unless
    > >someone here can attest to the sequence.
    >
    > I had the very same experience as you. When my Dimension XPS arrived
    > last November (with single SATA drive), the first thing I did was
    > attempt to install a 120gb ATA drive. I couldn't figure out how to
    > get the BIOS to "welcome" it. Called tech support and got led down
    > the same labyrinth of weirdness (including a couple on-holds for the
    > tech to get help himself)--but an hour later, voila! I must admit I
    > thought the guy was nuts when he directed me to "turn on all the
    > lights" on my keyboard--voodoo!! :-)
    >
    > Before calling I had installed my second drive (as I always had in the
    > past) as a 'slave,' not 'cable-select' as often mentioned here. Works
    > fine.
    >
    > --John W. Wells

    [not addressed to Tom Scales in particullar]

    I've seen something in this ng much much more so than in any other I've
    been in.

    Please consider top posting to messages where others have top posted,
    and bottom posting to where others have bottom posted.

    But mixing them up is making a hell of a mess.

    Tom Scales <tomtoo@softhome.net> coughed up the following:

    On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 21:09:53 -0400, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
    wrote:

    >Jumpering a drive as Slave AND putting it on the middle (Slave) connector
    >WILL work fine. Jumpering it as Slave and putting it on the end (Master)
    >connector will not.

    Guess I'll be takin' your word for that--not about to pull it out to
    check!!

    --JWW

Dell Computer Hard Drives Computers