Average home PC performance

kapot

Distinguished
May 8, 2003
Hi,
Anyone have any resources/document about what is the "average" home PC performance nowadays?

Maybe anyone know some survey/pooling results about this?

Some people said that average home PC performance nowadays is Pentium III 700 up to 1000 Mhz with 128 MB RAM.

Thanks

shadus

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2003
I don't have any statistics but I do alot of work freelance for sidecash, I'd say the "average" thing I see in the field is probally a c700 or an p4 1.2 Almost unilaterally anyone who has a faster pc is calling me because they baked a component and don't want to take the time to figure out which one, where as the c7/p1.2 people tend to need os reinstalls... but hands down the ratio of c7/p1.2s are about 6 to 1 to faster pcs... so I'd say that is reasonably correct. I'm starting to see more ram in pcs (128/256), but I still run into 64mb on c7s quite frequently... the real gag point I think is that most of these pcs have integrated very very crappy video... or if they actually have a card it is ancient tech.

Shadus

buy a dell at a price you can afford and don't worry about it.

"Bread makes me poop!" - Special Ed

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
I have a couple of hundred machines floating around out there... most are in SOHO environments... My customers tend to be a bit more powerhungry than my friends... so I'm guessing the homeowners are behind the SOHO market by a bit.

Most SOHO people seem quite content with celeron 1.8 or 2ghz, p4 2 or 2.4ghz or Athlons in the 1800 to 200 range.

Homeowners probably update less often than SOHO users so I would expect they are working with machines around the gigahertz mark on average. I've been updating a number of duron 900 and Celeron 1.2ghz machines lately.

Gamers and pc-hobbiests tend to be well ahead of average. They typically call and ask me about 3ghz p4s and AMD 3000s rather a lot. The ones who buy, usually end up with something a bit less... p42.4 and xp2400s are popular.

There are still a ton of machines out there on SDRam, with TNT4 cards and running ATA66 hard disks.

So, taking all that into consideration, from my own experience... I'd guess the "average" is someplace around the 1.5ghz mark with a 32meg video card and around 20gig of hard disk.

---><font color=green>It ain't better if it don't work</font color=green><---

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
A complete PC system that costs around $500 or $600 including monitor, printer, etc would be an average system if you make the purchase rencently. I have a PIII-700MHz, 384MB PC133 SDRAM, and a GeForce2 MX400 which I assume this would be an average system.

Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=22996" target="_new">My System Rig</A>

dhlucke

Polypheme
I would guess that the average person bought a computer in 1999 or 2000 when the economy was amazing and PC's were getting under $1000. Don't expect most people to have anything newer than that.

<font color=green>Everyone should be like the Dutch. They're perfect.</font color=green>