Crashes after Windows boot screen

unclejess

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012
I was given an HP Pavilion DV-6 3030us. When I turn it on a black screen comes up that reads a disc read error occured. This is after the screen that reads the computer was shut down because it overheated. I've tried to reinstall Windows 7 with no success. It gets past the loading files and goes to a blue screen. It reads the system shutdown for an error and a bunch of numbers.

It sounds like you were given a lemon and the computer has a lot of issues. Take off the side panel and see if it's clean inside, if not the you need to do a good cleaning and then when you press the start button make sure that all the fans are spinning especialy the one on the cpu heatsink.

You shouldn't start replacing parts untill your sure of what the problem is or you'll end up buying a new computer.
So far acording to your decriptions you have a hard drive problem and an overheating problem so we have to find out what is overheating and why.
I think that the overheating is shutting you down before you can get Windows loaded. There are two things that can overheat and cause problems and they are the cpu and the video card. Did you try taking the side panel off and placing a fan to blow on the motherboard and specificl;y the cpu and video card?

Googling HP Pavilion DV-6 3030us comes up with a laptop? or is that a mistake? if it is indeed a laptop, and provided you stripped the fan to clean it, my money's on the HDD. See if you can run Seatools for DOS, burn to a CD and boot.
http://www.seagate.com/support/internal-hard-drives/consumer-electronics/ld25-series/seatools-dos-master/

unclejess

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012
I took it apart as far as cleaning the fan and putting fresh compound on the cpu, INZONE. I haven't tried putting a fan to the board. It is a laptop. I'll try the Seatools and the fan.

Well then that's a srart and at least now you know you have to replace the hard drive and by checking each part as you can to verify working condition you don't have to blindly replace parts. That someones laptop that you tested your hard drive on can you try thier hard drive to see what you can get going with it. It nay be a little diffacult with different components but you can see how it goes.

unclejess

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012
I put the Seatool CD in and nothing happened. The other HDD starts to load then I get a conflict error and it shuts down. The fan is definetly clean. I had full access to it. Blew out the dust and cleaned off the blades.

Should stay cool then! Unless you actually take the cover off the fan it's impossible to clean the build-up of dust inside. I take it you've tried 2 HDDs with the same result? At least I think that's what you meant, if so starting to suspect RAM. If you have 2 sticks, try running with one at a time to see if that makes a difference, and in different slots in case it's the RAM controller.