HDTV vs HD Monitor to be used for computer

Hiniberus

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
I've been thinking that it's about time I ditched my 19" CRT monitor and go for a nice modern one. Though a question has popped up. HDTV vs HD Monitor.

Now I couldn't help but take note that HDTV's seem to be far cheaper than HD Monitors and have the same functional possibilities. To display the output of my graphics card (Which does have HDMI output, 1GB Gainward Bliss 8600GT but I intend on upgrading the the 240 1GB GDDR5, any opinions on that would also be appreciated.) Anyway, so I was thinking. Why not go for a larger HDTV than I would a monitor for the same price? Though I know there's a catch somewhere or at least, there most likely is one.

So anyone care to enlighten me on this if you may?

darthlaidher

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
hdtv and hd monitors are pretty much the same thing the only difference between the two is the hd tv has things like a tv tuner and avi ports and things you would normally find on regular tvs. some monitors have that aswell some LGs have tv tuners and such. so basically what they did was renamed the tv a monitor pretty much.

pac_man

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
Interesting......Like you hiniberus I'm thinking of upgrading my monitor in the near future (Samsung Syncmaster 223BW). As some TV's now seem to do just as much as a PC monitor I was wondering whether the purchase of a monitor offered good value for money (or vice versa)?

I know resolution is the main thing to watch out for (and of course size) but bearing in mind I like gaming is the PC monitor still the way to go? I was curious if any of you use a TV 32" or similar instead of a dedicated monitor. I have my HTPC hooked up to a 32" TV but the resolution isnt great? Okay for DVD's etc

madwheels

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2008
Hi pac_man:I've just read your question.As a owner of a HDTV,plus a HD-MONITOR it's really how you setup your pc?I've got a ASUS HD-22" Monitor that I've setup with one of my pc's which has the following components hooked up to cpu to monitor First,two xfx 9800 GT's running in SLI mode, 3D-HD @ 1080p and a AMD 6000mhz chip,8096mb of DDR2 Ram,and Vista Priminum 64bit,5 HDD-4@250gb-1@320gb and also have Nvidia control for my 3D rendering,and have downloaded the latest drivers from Nvidia to make everything work.
Now to my pc that is running on my 32" screen,I've just built this monster and am in the fisishing touches.In this pc I've got the following components AMD Athon Quad Chip 9850,1096mb of DDR2 Ram,Windows 7prim 64bit,Three way SLI with two GTX260@896mb,and one card 9800gt for Phys-X to enhance 3D proformance,With setup's of this size I'm able to receive a full HD 1080p right off the pc,and I'm able to view Blu-ray with no problems.
What I'm trying to show you, that it depends on what you want to achieve in the setup,as to the monitor's you pick.It's very important that you look at the monitor's spec's and see that you have a good range of resalution,also the fact that HD is inculed and the contast is a high number?At least 1000:1 ratio's or higher.Also look for the hookup inback of the monitor,HDMI,HDCP,and most a turner built-in.
To say the whole you can use a monitor like the one you mention in the above sentence?It will work fine in playing games,as I'm a old gamer too.I hope you can take something good away from my words,and if you need some help feel free to call on me

Hiniberus

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009

Awesome, thanks for the reply I really appreciate it! Also, glad to see you seem to like me Pac haha.

madwheels

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2008
As I've stated,the choice is up to you.Monitor's are basically the same,and it mostly depends on how much you want to spend.Plus what you want it to do?The fact is you can't go wrong by updating your peripherals.The best way to start is go with something that is small and easy to understand,like a 22" HD Monitor or a LCD/TV Monitor of the same size.there really aren't any difference's except in sizing?Just remember that the spec's should be understood?

My HTPC is connected to a 47" HDTV (LG 47LH90) and a 24" HD monitor (Asus VK246H). I mostly use it for watching movies on the HDTV. At times I will simply use the Asus to monitor some process on the HTPC once in a while. I also use the monitor when doing maintenance, no need to do it on the 47" HDTV.

As for gaming, I do that on my primary PC since many of the games I play are keyboard intensive. I can probably use a gamepad to some of my games, but I would a keyboard next to me 'cause all the commands cannot be programmed onto a gamepad.

madwheels

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2008
Hi jaguarskx:
You show exactly what I've told in my post,this is a perfect way to setup a full HDTV,and taking advantage of both HD size screens.By using a 24" monitor when needed.Sounds like you got a great setup there.