Optiplex GX100

Have an old Optiplex GX 100 that was having issues so I reformatted the hard
drive. When I cold boot,, I am getting a message that the time is not set,
go to Setup Utility. I do that and set the proper date and time. Next time
I cold boot, I get the same thing.

Is it the battery or the hard drive?

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 10:46:55 -0500, Nate Rosenthal wrote:

> Have an old Optiplex GX 100 that was having issues so I reformatted the hard
> drive. When I cold boot,, I am getting a message that the time is not set,
> go to Setup Utility. I do that and set the proper date and time. Next time
> I cold boot, I get the same thing.
>
> Is it the battery or the hard drive?

The hard drive has nothing to do with the onboard clock, it's the battery.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Changed the battery, but on reboot, I'm getting a plug and play
configuration error. Any thoughts?

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 19:36:42 -0500, Nate Rosenthal wrote:

> Changed the battery, but on reboot, I'm getting a plug and play
> configuration error. Any thoughts?

You should have, and I know this is not good, change the battery with the
power ON, I would guess that removal of the battery reset the BIOS to
defaults. So, you may need to go in and reset the BIOS to detect
everything again.

I have a 466Mhz Celeron GX100 (I actually have 6 of them), so I could take
a look on Monday and post back, but it may not be the same.

> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 10:46:55 -0500, Nate Rosenthal wrote:
>>>
>>> Have an old Optiplex GX 100 that was having issues so I reformatted
>>> the hard
>>> drive. When I cold boot,, I am getting a message that the time is not
>>> set,
>>> go to Setup Utility. I do that and set the proper date and time. Next
>>> time
>>> I cold boot, I get the same thing.
>>>
>>> Is it the battery or the hard drive?
>>
>> The hard drive has nothing to do with the onboard clock, it's the
>> battery.
>>
>> --
>> spam999free@rrohio.com
>> remove 999 in order to email me

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

That is what this one is. Actually I am having trouble just getting to the
setup screen. But any suggestions will be great. Our school has had about
a dozen of these donated and are probably getting another dozen in short
order. I'm not going to kill myself on them, since we will have so many,
but learning more about them would be good. if worse comes to worse, I'll
just cannibalize it for parts for the others. Thanks for the help so far.

"Nate Rosenthal" <ncrose@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Changed the battery, but on reboot, I'm getting a plug and play
> configuration error. Any thoughts?

Pull all of the PCI expansion cards. Once you're finally able to get into
setup/BIOS, default the BIOS settings and clear the NVRAM/configuration
settings. Exit.

Power down and unplug. Replace the PCI cards individually, booting between
each install to confirm that you don't have a faulty card.

hth

Stew

The docs can be found here;
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx100/en/index.htm

> That is what this one is. Actually I am having trouble just getting
> to the
> setup screen. But any suggestions will be great. Our school has had
> about
> a dozen of these donated and are probably getting another dozen in
> short
> order. I'm not going to kill myself on them, since we will have so
> many,
> but learning more about them would be good. if worse comes to worse,
> I'll
> just cannibalize it for parts for the others. Thanks for the help so
> far.
>

> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 19:36:42 -0500, Nate Rosenthal wrote:
>> >
>> > Changed the battery, but on reboot, I'm getting a plug and play
>> > configuration error. Any thoughts?
>>
>> You should have, and I know this is not good, change the battery with
>> the
>> power ON, I would guess that removal of the battery reset the BIOS to
>> defaults. So, you may need to go in and reset the BIOS to detect
>> everything again.
>>
>> I have a 466Mhz Celeron GX100 (I actually have 6 of them), so I could
>> take
>> a look on Monday and post back, but it may not be the same.
>>

>> > "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message

>> --
>> spam999free@rrohio.com
>> remove 999 in order to email me

Ctrl>Alt>Del should get you to setup.

"Nate Rosenthal" <ncrose@comcast.net> wrote in message
> That is what this one is. Actually I am having trouble just getting to
> the
> setup screen. But any suggestions will be great. Our school has had
> about
> a dozen of these donated and are probably getting another dozen in short
> order. I'm not going to kill myself on them, since we will have so many,
> but learning more about them would be good. if worse comes to worse, I'll
> just cannibalize it for parts for the others. Thanks for the help so far.
>

> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 19:36:42 -0500, Nate Rosenthal wrote:
>> >
>> > Changed the battery, but on reboot, I'm getting a plug and play
>> > configuration error. Any thoughts?
>>
>> You should have, and I know this is not good, change the battery with the
>> power ON, I would guess that removal of the battery reset the BIOS to
>> defaults. So, you may need to go in and reset the BIOS to detect
>> everything again.
>>
>> I have a 466Mhz Celeron GX100 (I actually have 6 of them), so I could
>> take
>> a look on Monday and post back, but it may not be the same.
>>

>> > "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message

>> --
>> spam999free@rrohio.com
>> remove 999 in order to email me

Did that several times

> Did that several times

Try unplugging all of the drives so that the system has nothing to boot to,
and force an error message prompting to 'enter setup'. ?

Stew

TRENDING THREADS