ram trouble

Is there a download available that cleans up Windows? When my desktop is
running, it uses so much ram that I can't run most of my software. It takes a
long time of running with nothing going on before there is enough ram
available to even load anything.
4 answers Last reply
More about trouble

    What is running in the background, Bruce?

    Start/Run/Msconfig/Startup - uncheck what isn't necessary.

    Windows XP Startup Programs Tracker
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_u.htm#xp_util

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP

    "Bruce" <Bruce@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Is there a download available that cleans up Windows? When my desktop is
    > running, it uses so much ram that I can't run most of my software. It
    > takes a
    > long time of running with nothing going on before there is enough ram
    > available to even load anything.

    All that is running is the Windows desktop.
    I looked into your suggestion, but I'm not too confident in making those
    changes. Will it return to its previous state if I redo the settings?

    "Kelly" wrote:

    > What is running in the background, Bruce?
    >
    > Start/Run/Msconfig/Startup - uncheck what isn't necessary.
    >
    > Windows XP Startup Programs Tracker
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_u.htm#xp_util
    >

    > --
    >
    > All the Best,
    > Kelly (MS-MVP)
    >
    > Troubleshooting Windows XP
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >

    > "Bruce" <Bruce@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Is there a download available that cleans up Windows? When my desktop is
    > > running, it uses so much ram that I can't run most of my software. It
    > > takes a
    > > long time of running with nothing going on before there is enough ram
    > > available to even load anything.

    How much RAM is there in your system?
    Have you scanned your system with latest virus definitioned
    antivirus,spybot,search and destroy,CWShredder,as well as with
    adaware?Run all the latest versions in safe mode.

    see:-

    'How to troubleshoot by using the System Configuration utility in
    Windows XP'
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310560

    'How to perform a clean boot in Windows XP'
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310353

    'How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP'
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316434

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    Bruce wrote:
    > Is there a download available that cleans up Windows? When my desktop is
    > running, it uses so much ram that I can't run most of my software. It takes a
    > long time of running with nothing going on before there is enough ram
    > available to even load anything.

    "Bruce" <Bruce@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Is there a download available that cleans up Windows? When my desktop is
    >running, it uses so much ram that I can't run most of my software. It takes a
    >long time of running with nothing going on before there is enough ram
    >available to even load anything.

    Why can't you run the software? Is there an error message produced or
    some sort of a performance issue?

    Beware of the so-called memory freeing programs. Without exception
    these are all totally incapable of performing any beneficial function
    for any computer under any circumstances.

    By design, Windows will always attempt to find some use, anything
    whatever that might potentially be of some benefit, for every bit of
    the installed RAM in the computer rather than just leaving that RAM
    sitting there idly going to rot and doing no good for anybody. And
    just as soon as some better use comes along for some of that RAM then
    Windows will instaneously drop the more trivial usages so as to free
    up whatever amount is now required.

    How much RAM does your computer have? You need at least 256 mb and
    preferably 512 mb of RAM in order to get good performance from Windows
    XP under normal home or small business usage, and if you are running
    application programs that have high memory demands then you may need
    even more than 512 mb.

    What is being loaded on your computer at Startup? Use Start - Run -
    MSCONFIG and go to the Startup tab. Compare the items shown with the
    checklist information at
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php to see what can
    safely be dispensed with.

    Hope this is of some assistance.