logon screen displays unread email messages...why?

Tags:
  • Email
  • Microsoft
  • Displays
  • Windows XP
August 15, 2005 10:55:42 PM

ATI required installation of MS .Net 1.1 for its display driver. After
installation, Windows now displays the number of unread emails in Outlook
Express for my username logon. It shows # of messages in "Account A", #
messages in "Account B", etc... How do I disable that and restore it to just
the password field?

More about : logon screen displays unread email messages

Anonymous
August 15, 2005 11:18:53 PM

"tiki2k" <tiki2k@home.not> wrote in message
> ATI required installation of MS .Net 1.1 for its display driver. After
> installation, Windows now displays the number of unread emails in Outlook
> Express for my username logon. It shows # of messages in "Account A", #
> messages in "Account B", etc... How do I disable that and restore it to
> just the password field?

Turn off Email Notification
Navigate to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UnreadMail\[Youremailaddress]
In the right-hand pane find "MessageCount" and change the value to 0 to
disable the email notification.

--
William
Anonymous

Thank you all.
One other thing. Usually at the logon screen Windows have the password box
ready for me to type in or if it's not me, the user would just click on the
Guest account. Now I have to click on my username first to display the
password box. How can I restore that so I don't need to click on my username
to enter my password? I know this may sound picky, but I'm just used to the
convenience of the original setting. So I would love to restore that if at
all possible.

"WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o Df5TjgoFHA.3300@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> "tiki2k" <tiki2k@home.not> wrote in message
>> ATI required installation of MS .Net 1.1 for its display driver. After
>> installation, Windows now displays the number of unread emails in Outlook
>> Express for my username logon. It shows # of messages in "Account A", #
>> messages in "Account B", etc... How do I disable that and restore it to
>> just the password field?
>>

> Turn off Email Notification
> Navigate to:
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UnreadMail\[Youremailaddress]
> In the right-hand pane find "MessageCount" and change the value to 0 to
> disable the email notification.
>
> --
> William

Related resources
August 16, 2005 1:17:09 AM

Use TweakUI/Logon/Unread Mail and Repair/Unread Mail Count
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powert...

or:

Disable Unread Mail on the Welcome Screen (Line 100)

To remove an account or to change the count manually Go to:
Start/Run/Regedit and navigate to this key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UnreadMail\[Your
E-Mail Address]. In the right pane modify: Message Count, Change it to 0.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UnreadMail. In
the right pane modify: MessageExpiryDays Change it to 0.

Overview of Mail Notification Display on WinXP Welcome Screen
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q304/1...

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"tiki2k" <tiki2k@home.not> wrote in message
> ATI required installation of MS .Net 1.1 for its display driver. After
> installation, Windows now displays the number of unread emails in Outlook
> Express for my username logon. It shows # of messages in "Account A", #
> messages in "Account B", etc... How do I disable that and restore it to
> just the password field?

August 17, 2005 4:29:38 AM

Password Prompt Open for User:

This will only happen if you have no other users listed on the Welcome
Screen, including the System Admin account and the Guest account. The Guest
account must be disabled.

You can use TweakUI for XP to uncheck accounts on the Welcome Screen under
Logon that may not be visible to you. http://tinyurl.com/h8zs

--

> Thank you all.
> One other thing. Usually at the logon screen Windows have the password box
> ready for me to type in or if it's not me, the user would just click on
> the Guest account. Now I have to click on my username first to display the
> password box. How can I restore that so I don't need to click on my
> username to enter my password? I know this may sound picky, but I'm just
> used to the convenience of the original setting. So I would love to
> restore that if at all possible.
>

> "WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o Df5TjgoFHA.3300@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> "tiki2k" <tiki2k@home.not> wrote in message
>>> ATI required installation of MS .Net 1.1 for its display driver. After
>>> installation, Windows now displays the number of unread emails in
>>> Outlook Express for my username logon. It shows # of messages in
>>> "Account A", # messages in "Account B", etc... How do I disable that and
>>> restore it to just the password field?
>>>

>> Turn off Email Notification
>> Navigate to:
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\UnreadMail\[Youremailaddress]
>> In the right-hand pane find "MessageCount" and change the value to 0 to
>> disable the email notification.
>>
>> --
>> William

Anonymous
August 17, 2005 5:02:25 PM

The reason why I wanted to restore this lil convenience is b/c that's how it
was behaving I believe prior to installing the MS .Net 1.1.
Usually the welcome screen would have my username w/ the password box open.
Then the Guest user underneath.
Now it only displays my username and the Guest.
If I use the Tweak UI as you suggested, would that disable the Guest
account? Coz I want other people to still be able to use that.

!