Intel's next processor (AFTER the 3.2)

dannyaa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
I was wondering, does anyone know what Intel has planned next after the 3.2GHz (i.e. 3.4, 3.6, etc.)? About when do they plan on releasing it? What new 'breakthrough' techs do they have - faster FSBs, bus speeds, die prints, features, HT 2.0 or something, I dunno. Basically I was just wondering whats coming...
I wanted to know because I'm considering upgrading in June or July here, but wanted to know if I should hold off a few more months because of faster processors, new techs, price drops (I already know about the likely end of May price break, I'm talking about after that), etc... Also, will the P4 3.06 likely be any significantly lower priced by September as opposed to June or July?

So anyway, if someone could someone fill me in all this, that would be awesome... Thanks so much!

Dan

reever2

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2003
Intels next step is the 3.4 ghz P4 based on the prescott core. It should come anywhere from mid-late Q3 to Q4, so i dont think you would be able to upgrade to anything faster than 3.2 by June or July. The 3.4 will still use 800mhz fsb, SSE3, enlarged L1 cache, and better hyperthreading and some other stuff but i casnt remember

traviss187

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2003
I'm waiting for when they get around 4GHZ I forget the name of the new core and don't want to go check.. possibly making water cooling standerd... (drool)

speeduk

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
"possibly making water cooling standerd"

Highly unlikely, and if you had to use watercooling for processors they would have to come with the watercooling in the retail package pushing costs through the roof... Even if they didnt come retail, i dont think Joe Average would figure out how to put it all together. Air cooling will be around for a while as its almost as good (thermalright 7 - 900), cheaper and easier to set up.

G

4ghz? water cooling?

Are we talking about a mainframe cpu? :lol:

sabbath1

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2003
Will SSE3 be introduced with the Prescott?

My system: AMD Athlon XP 3000+ CPU / TwinMOS 1Gb DDR400 / Soltek 75FRN-RL /
Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro / Antec True Power 550W / Maxtor 80Gb ATA-133 / Hercules GTXP SC /
Samsung DVD / Lite-On CDRW