Sign in with
Your question

Converting WMA 192kbps to the MP3 Equivalent, What is the Correct MP3

Last response: in Home Audio
October 6, 2010 4:31:11 PM

I have a few albums on my PC that are encoded in WMA 192 CBR and are DRM protected. I have to convert all these albums because I want a format that'll work on all pmps. I already have a program to strip the DRM, but I don't know what MP3 bitrate is the equivalent in audio quality.

*What MP3 bitrate is equal to WMA 192kbps constant?
*Should I use variable or a constant bitrate?

If this post is in the wrong thread category, please tell me below?
Anonymous
October 6, 2010 7:09:00 PM

The most common MP3 rate is also 192kbps
m
l
October 7, 2010 12:19:28 AM

I would use the same bitrate.

Just keep in mind that transcoding from one format to another will always cause a minor drop in audio quality.
m
l
Related resources
October 7, 2010 1:06:22 AM

OK thanks guys, 192kbs it is. But should I choose variable or a constant bitrate. Also recommend me some programs. The program I have adds a 2-3 second delay to the beginning and end of some songs.
m
l
October 7, 2010 1:27:17 AM

Variable bitrate is generally better because it allocates more bits to portions of the song that are more complex than simpler portions which needs less bits.

I use dbPowerAmp to convert my music to FLAC. However, I do believe you can use it to remove DRM. It is not a free program; $38 for full features, $26 for reduced features.

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/
m
l
October 7, 2010 2:08:13 AM

Variable bitrate is better for the same file size, although there's no difference between VBA 192 vs CBR 192 asside from it takes less space on your hard drive.
m
l
!