Dell Vostro won't start Windows properly

Reliant1

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
Hi

I'm currently having a problem with my Dell vostro 1500 laptop. When I turn it on, it will take like 5 minutes to get past the Starting Windows message. After it does get past it, there's a black screen for like 2 minutes where it just shows the cursor. After it loads my desktop, the apps are all enlarged which isn't normal.

It will not let me open any programs such as the internet, which is why I'm typing this from my phone. I did some startup repair and it did not find any problems. I dont have any restore points either.

I think this happened because my power went out at the time the laptop was performing updates. Not sure, and I don't know a lot about computers and laptops.

Please help me as I cant do anything with it!

Greg1944

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012
Hi,which windows version are you using?
You should have a System Recover Disk, boot from it and it will re-install the MBR.
You must have Restore Points as it makes them automatically when anything changes in the system and/or programs are installed. Win7 restore is difficult to find but I can help you with that.

Reliant1

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
It's Windows 7 and I no longer have the start up disc. I have no restore points because it was disabled a long time ago. The system has been working fine up until today.

Greg1944

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012
I think your booting into safe mode. Try this: restart comp and tap F8 key repeatedly very fast. You should see a list of options on how you can start your comp. If not restart and repeat above... faster!
Choose "Start windows normally"
If that doesn't work repeat above and choose "Last known good configuration"
Let me know if that works... good luck

thirdshopping

Honorable
Apr 16, 2012
your computer lost or mistake to deleted system files or system files disease

Poison and "stubborn" Trojan "sabotage。

Restart the computer, boot, press F8, Enter, Enter into "safe mode"

"Advanced Boot Options", "Last configured correctly, press down to try to see the effect

Pull hard drive out. if possible plug into another computer either as a slave or though a USB adapter. Download CrystalDiskInfo.

Once installed to make things easier to read click on Function --> Advanced Features --> Raw Values --> and select 10 [HEX]

Now click on the hard drive from the bar at the top. Most likely its gonna be Yellow or Red. If its Red hope you have a back up. If it is Blue then something is wrong with windows it self. Run a Chkdsk and see if it that fixes the issue. If it is Yellow or Red look for the areas in the box bellow. Most likely either Reallocated Sectors Count, Current Pending Sector Count, or uncorrectable Sector Count, will have some values next to it. To me it sounds like you may have a few hundred to a few thousans on the Reallocated Sector Count. I know been there many times with my own and client PC's.

If this is the case get your self a new hard drive. EVEN if you don't by from NewEgg READ THE REVIEWS ON NEWEGG!

Then you can slave in the new hard drive. Once its installed and the computer turned on you have to go Disk manger by Right Clicking on Computer --> manage -- then click on Disk --> Disk management...You will be prompt with a window for the new hard drive. Just click next next and next and it should format the drive.

The download PC Disk Clone X from http://www.pcdisktools.com/pcdiskclone.htm

You can then start that program up (Will have to click Free Version at the bottom) Then you can click on Clone disk at the top and then select your old hard drive as the source and the new hard drive as the destition and clone. Once cloned toss it back in your laptop and see if it will boot. Sometimes if the old hard drive is too far gone you will still get error and wont boot. At this point you have to find a way to install windows from scratch.

I HIGHLY recomend that you DO NOT USE the laptop AT ALL! Futher use can degrade the hard drive futher if this is the case and can cause TOTAL hard drive failure and then everything will be lost.

high volt

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013

high volt

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
Dear brother ,i m happy that u choosed a good brand please do what i say then ur pc will start soon go to control panel n disable the unwanted programs which start working wit ur comp wen it syarts n clean the temp files