Looking for ultralight gaming laptop...any help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wleigh

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Looking for an ultralight or ultraportable, however you want to look at it. I have been looking at a decked out HP DM3T (su9300 w/geforce 105 card) or a DV4i with a core i3 and the same video card.

HP would be nice to purchase from because they have a student discount option, I have not seen anything like this from other manufacturers sites yet, otherwise I am open to other brands.

I would prefer the new core i3 or i5 chip in something or a really high end CULV processor such as the SU9300 in the DM3t.

Between the DM3t and the DV4i, I am looking at a huge battery life difference (less I went with the 12 cell option on the dv4) and I prefer the aluminum casing on the dm3t, but the linux fast boot option is nice on the dv4i- I cant find a happy medium!!

So before I buy, I am looking for alternatives, please see the information below, any help is appreciated.
Please dont mind my bias to Dell or Mac :p

1_What is your budget?

$1000 or so

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

13-14"

3_What screen resolution do you want?

=> 1280 x 720

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

portable

5_How much battery life do you need?

would like at least 2hrs

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Yes, Dragon age origins, world of warcraft - at least medium settings (ie, looking for at least 512meg dedicated card)

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)

Ability to watch movies would be nice. I use just about the full Adobe Suite for school, unit must be able to run it.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?

prefer at least 250gig - must be at least 7200 RPM hard drive

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them.

thinking of hp, student discount is always nice.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?

at least 2 years for the $$

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

optional, but standard dvd/cd rw is fine.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

no dell or mac junk.

13_What country do you live in?

US - MI

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Backlit keyboard would also be the cats meow + See question 7 for additional use.

Thanks for any advice!

r_manic

Administrator
How about Alienware? Though it's now a Dell "subsidiary" brand, the M11x is smaller than the display you want (11.6" 1366 x 768), and doesn't have an optical drive (which you said is optional). IF you mind gaming on a relatively small screen (I honestly don't know why you'd want to though), here's a laptop for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS