Sign in with
Your question

What does it mean when my dell computer keeps prompting the F1 key and then will

Tags:
  • Dell
  • Computer
  • Keyboards
  • Computers
Last response: in Computer Brands
September 10, 2012 2:11:50 PM

what does it mean when my dell computer keeps prompting the F1 key and then will not work? I thought it was the keyboard, so I bought a new one. That did not help. I can turn the computer on and I hear the AOL message, but I just cannot get the keyboard to work.

More about : dell computer prompting key

September 10, 2012 6:39:14 PM

What model Dell are you using? Is the keyboard USB or PS/2? Try a keyboard with the other interface if possible.
m
l
September 12, 2012 7:33:14 PM

What do you mean "the AOL message"? Do you mean the Windows startup sounds? If you hear that it does work past the F1 message. What exactly happens with the system?
m
l
Related resources
September 18, 2012 8:26:45 AM

Check in safe mode
m
l
September 18, 2012 3:52:11 PM

Sher23 said:
what does it mean when my dell computer keeps prompting the F1 key and then will not work? I thought it was the keyboard, so I bought a new one. That did not help. I can turn the computer on and I hear the AOL message, but I just cannot get the keyboard to work.

This is indicative of a dead motherboard battery. Open the case and replace the coin battery located on the motherboard. Then, power the system back on and enter the BIOS/setup. Reset the clock, save, restart.

You should be good to go.
m
l
!