Sign in with
Your question

Dell E2310H vs 2209WA? Will a gamer notice the IPS?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
March 6, 2010 3:28:21 PM

It'll be used for gaming. The E2310 is HD, and is only 225USD, while the 2209WA is only 1680x1050 at 350 USD... but the 2209WA is E-IPS!

I guess the central question is... will a gamer notice the supposedly better color on the 2209WA? Viewing angles don't matter to me.
a b 4 Gaming
March 7, 2010 12:52:59 PM

In your case, nope.

Games use their own color codes, so even on an optimized color accurate monitors the colors in games would not be accurate.
March 7, 2010 5:53:35 PM

I'm using a TN panel for gaming(3-year old Samsung 940BW). Everywhere I go, I hear how viewing angels are said to be not that important for gaming.. I'm just not convinced.

TF2 is great on the TN, but when I play AvP where it's a much darker game, specially when those extremely hard to see Aliens are usually clinging to walls/ceilings/crawling on the floor, the TN panel shows its weakness.

So unless you exclusively play brighter games, you might want to reconsider. The only thing worrying me about the Dell would be the blacks and gamma(the MS/lag seem to be fast enough).
Related resources
March 8, 2010 5:08:04 AM

kray0n said:
I'm using a TN panel for gaming(3-year old Samsung 940BW). Everywhere I go, I hear how viewing angels are said to be not that important for gaming.. I'm just not convinced.

TF2 is great on the TN, but when I play AvP where it's a much darker game, specially when those extremely hard to see Aliens are usually clinging to walls/ceilings/crawling on the floor, the TN panel shows its weakness.

So unless you exclusively play brighter games, you might want to reconsider. The only thing worrying me about the Dell would be the blacks and gamma(the MS/lag seem to be fast enough).

I'm on a TN currently myself, and the viewing angles usually don't effect me too much. When you're gaming, you're not going to be slouching around -- but looking straight at the monitor. In my own personal experience, I've had no problem seeing things in darker games. (Ravenholme in HL2, L4D, etc.) It really depends more on personal preference. It's best to test both monitors out in real life. Try Best Buy or another local electronics store and see if they have them on display.
March 10, 2010 4:24:51 PM

I have been using TNs for the better part of my gaming years and I have recently got an IPS panel.

The colors rock. TN panels not only have bad color accuracy which doesn't matter in video games anyway. TN panels can't produce 16.7 million colors from your graphics card. TN panels have way lower color saturation. Going back to TN panels make me feel colors seem pale.

Viewing angle doesn't really matter for gaming. Only if you are in a office and people would look at your screen. Or 30" monitors or eyefinity setups where viewing angle would impact you.
!