hardware malfunction error on installation attempt

I'm trying to upgrade from 98SE to XP. I receive the error message "hardware
malfunction" and the computer locks up (before installation occurs). I
checked the hardware compatibility for my motherboard (Soyo SY-K7ADA v1.0)
and I do not find it listed. Does anyone know if I will be able to install
XP on this PC? If so, what would be the steps to follow?

jugglebert wrote:
> I'm trying to upgrade from 98SE to XP. I receive the error message
> "hardware malfunction" and the computer locks up (before installation
> occurs). I checked the hardware compatibility for my motherboard
> (Soyo SY-K7ADA v1.0) and I do not find it listed. Does anyone know
> if I will be able to install XP on this PC? If so, what would be the
> steps to follow?

You need to get the free XP Upgrade Advisor and run it to make sure that the harware on that system is compatible with XP. You can download it here:

Description of the Windows XP Upgrade Advisor:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307726

You can also check with the manufacturer of the installed video card, sound card and etc to make sure that they have XP compatible drivers available.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/