Major Difference

TheJuncoSoul

Distinguished
May 10, 2003
I know I may be laughed at for this, but I need to ask. I am planning on building a new system from the ground up.I am having a hard time finding out what the big difference is between AMd and Intel? I know this is supposed to be clear as day, but I really dont know. And whats the better deal in terms of dollars? I play games and do photo editing and I plan on getting into dvd burning....

RCPilot

Champion
I am planning on building a new system from the ground up.I am having a hard time finding out what the big difference is between AMd and Intel?
Well simply put AMD performs better in most games. Intel performs better in intensive app.'s. There's benches on this site comparing them both. No lack of knowledge on that. PhotoShop runs well on either of them.

And whats the better deal in terms of dollars?
Barton 2500 1.8 gig. I think you'll find AMD XP2400 T-Bread B, 2 gig, 266 FSB @ around $100 or so retail. XP2500 Barton 333 FSB @ $130 or so retail. Those are some great values right now to build a machine around non OCed. Both will OC quite a bit as well.

If you want the best deal going & want to OC hard the XP1700 T-Bread B, 1.4 gig, 266 FSB @ around $60 retail is the one to get. These are getting fantastic OC's. I've seen average 2 gigs out of them posted. 2 to 2.2 gigs I don't think is out of the question.

Any of these CPU's put on a ASUS A7N8X Deluxe v 2.0 MOBO (Fastest AMD Dual Channel DDR MOBO) & 2 sticks of high quality DDR 2700 or 3200 RAM & you've got a whale of a gaming rig.

Vid cards, look to ATI today. A new Geforce card is coming in a couple of weeks. FX series isn't worth getting. Today ATI.

If it ain't broke, take it apart & see why not!

rook

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
It isn't really clear as day. I don't think it really matters which you get. They each have there strengths and weaknesses, but I don't think you'd notice a diiference, not without a benchmark program (comparing equal speeds). For games it is more dependent on the video card than the CPU once you get over a certain speed. It comes down to personal preference and cost vs. performance. If you got an AMD 2400 or an Intel 2.4, you'd be happy with either one.

"Quotes are for people that can't think for themselves"
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=23900" target="_new">My PC</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you want a top notch CPU, Intel gives you more for say $300 than AMD. But if you are a little on the short side, AMD gives you a lot more for $150 than Intel.

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
If you want to have the best price/performance ratio without overclocking, then buy AXP 2400+

If you are an overclocker and want to have the best price/performance ratio, then buy AXP 1700+ (T-bred "B" core) or AXP 2500+

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new"> My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new"> My Rig</A></b>