Sign in with
Your question

LCD Monitor vs HDTV for gaming

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
March 6, 2010 5:56:58 PM

Hello,

i am looking to get a new screen to plug in my pc and ps3, i was wondering what would give me the best quality picture for gaming and blue-ray movies between :

monitor alienware 3d 23inch 120hz AW2310

and

hdtv sony 32inch 120hz KDL32EX500

pricing and size is no factor in my choice between these two .. all i want is the best picture possible for my gaming and movies

i mostly play first person shooter games on my ps3 and will watch movies on blue-ray from my pc and dvi to get the 120hz rate.

so please.. help me in my choice,
i would go for the alienware but i am not sure about pluggin a ps3 on a monitor since i tried on a ASUS monitor 1080p and i was really disapointed from the quality picture ..

thank you for your help.
a b 4 Gaming
March 7, 2010 12:42:08 PM

120Hz works differently on a PC monitor and HDTV.

120Hz HDTVs (and 240Hz HDTVs) only accept 60Hz inputs. They are considered "120Hz" because they create an extra frame in between every two actual frame from the source to improve smoothness and "improve" the picture quality; some people do not like this effect though. Because 120Hz HDTVS create exta frames, it induces input lag; 240Hz HDTV induces even more input lag. To eliminate this induced input lag, you will need to set the HDTV to operate in 60Hz mode, that away it will not attempt to improve video quality and smoothness.

Not sure how a 120Hz PC monitor works other than the fact it will accept 120Hz inputs.

Gaming will most likely look better on the Alienware due to the 120Hz input. Never seen a 120Hz monitor in action so I can't be positive. It uses TN panel technology so it will have low response time most likely. The downside is TN panels tend to have bad viewing angles which means colors can shift quite easily even if you were to sit directly in front of the monitor and look at the edges of the screen. The higher the degree of "off angle", the greater the color shift. The Asus you mentioned also uses a TN panel as well.

Here's an example of viewing angles of a TN panel monitor:

Blu-Ray movies will most likely look better on the Sony which I assume will be using S-PVA panel technology (could be TN though). This means better viewing angles so colors will not shift as much. But they tend to have slightly higher response times than TN panels. Additionally, the 120Hz abilities of the Sony will improve image quality and smoothness of the movie; which in turn would increase lag for gaming; unless you set the Sony to operate at 60Hz.

Here's an example of viewing angles of a S-PVA panel monitor:

March 7, 2010 2:08:13 PM

thank you for your answer, really interesting !

i was wondering how a blue-ray movie can be better on a 120hz hdtv if the playsattion output only 60hz ? cause i believe hdmi only output 60hz right ?

so whats the diference betwwen a game and movie since they are both on blue-ray !

thank you
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
March 7, 2010 5:15:21 PM

All DVD and Blu-Ray players only output @ 60Hz. All HDTVs only accept 60Hz inputs.

120Hz inserts an interpolated frame between every actual frame to improve smoothness and "improve" image quality.

There are no games on Blu-Ray. Xbox and PS3 games are all on DVD; PS3 can play Blu-Ray movie discs. A single layer Blu-Ray disc is capable of storing 25GB of data and is simply a storage medium. Games will not come out on Blu-Ray for consoles until the games needs more than 8.5GB of storage on a single disc.

March 7, 2010 5:29:33 PM

jaguarskx said:
All DVD and Blu-Ray players only output @ 60Hz. All HDTVs only accept 60Hz inputs.

120Hz inserts an interpolated frame between every actual frame to improve smoothness and "improve" image quality.

There are no games on Blu-Ray. Xbox and PS3 games are all on DVD; PS3 can play Blu-Ray movie discs. A single layer Blu-Ray disc is capable of storing 25GB of data and is simply a storage medium. Games will not come out on Blu-Ray for consoles until the games needs more than 8.5GB of storage on a single disc.

yes games do come out on blu-ray discs all you gotta do to see that is look on a ps3 disc it says blu-ray disc. every game i have for ps3 is a blu ray disc.
March 7, 2010 5:59:44 PM

jaguarskx .. i agree,

games do come out on blue-ray, every games i own is written blue-ray disc on it ... but now .. my question still :

why a BR movie on a HDTV 120hz would look better then a games since its all come out from HDMI that output 60hz ...

i went to the store this week to watch hdtv's and the ones with 120hz on display was plugged in a blue-ray player and the pîctures was incredible on the movie ... but once again i heard this could be a gammick from the store to make us see want they want us to see.

so ... i dont know ... lol

i think my choice wil be the sony hdtv kdl32ex500 ... but there is only hdmi connections on it ... so without DVI .. i dont understand how i will get 120hz from my blue-ray movies.

help ..

lol
March 7, 2010 6:33:03 PM

J1B425 said:
jaguarskx .. i agree,

games do come out on blue-ray, every games i own is written blue-ray disc on it ... but now .. my question still :

why a BR movie on a HDTV 120hz would look better then a games since its all come out from HDMI that output 60hz ...

i went to the store this week to watch hdtv's and the ones with 120hz on display was plugged in a blue-ray player and the pîctures was incredible on the movie ... but once again i heard this could be a gammick from the store to make us see want they want us to see.

so ... i dont know ... lol

i think my choice wil be the sony hdtv kdl32ex500 ... but there is only hdmi connections on it ... so without DVI .. i dont understand how i will get 120hz from my blue-ray movies.

help ..

lol

ive watched blu ray movies on my full hd monitor and the detail is amazing so i dont think blu-ray is a gimmick. the detail was so good it made me almost sick when i watched a movie with gory bits in them lol. i dunno about the 120 hz 60hz mumbo jumbo but i know blu-ray movies look good lol.
a b 4 Gaming
March 7, 2010 6:40:38 PM

J1B425 said:

games do come out on blue-ray, every games i own is written blue-ray disc on it ...

Okay. It is only used as a storage medium. Just like a DVD disc. Nothing more, nothing less other than 25GB for single layer BL disc vs 8.5GB for double layer DVD.

J1B425 said:

I've already explained it to you in my first post:

Quote:

120Hz HDTVs (and 240Hz HDTVs) only accept 60Hz inputs. They are considered "120Hz" because they create an extra frame in between every two actual frame from the source to improve smoothness and "improve" the picture quality; some people do not like this effect though. Because 120Hz HDTVS create exta frames, it induces input lag; 240Hz HDTV induces even more input lag. To eliminate this induced input lag, you will need to set the HDTV to operate in 60Hz mode, that away it will not attempt to improve video quality and smoothness.
!