Removable Drive (USB Memory card) is assigned to a Mapped ..

I'm a developer.

I have a directory mapped to G: to mimic the setup of a client system.

When I plugged in a removable drive it gets assigned to the existing G drive
and disappears.

I know I can reassign it using the Disk Management, but I don't think I
should have to do this every time I plug in a removeable drive. Is there a
way to tell Windows XP not to use a drive already assigned to a drive
letter?

Craig Lindstrom

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;297694
To work around this issue if the new volume appears in Disk Management,
specify a different drive letter for the new device or volume. To do this,
follow these steps: 1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.
2. Under Computer Management (Local), click Disk Management.
3. In the list of drives in the right pane, right-click the new drive
and then click Change Drive Letter and Path(s).
4. Click Change, and in the drop-down box, select a drive letter for
the new drive that is not assigned to a mapped network drive.
5. Click OK, and then click OK again.
Both the mapped network drives and the recently installed drive appear in
Windows Explorer.

pavel

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2003

This could happened if you at one time assigned the G: to the removable
drive.
To correct this:
1. un-assign the current directory that is now mapped to the G:,
2. using Disk Management, remove a drive letter assignment to the removable
drive,
3. remove the removable drive,
4. re-assign G: to the mapped directory
5 .plug the removable back
It should now have new drive letter.

--
Pavel

"Craig Roberts" <Somewhere @ Lindstrom Minnesota USA> wrote in message
> I'm a developer.
>
> I have a directory mapped to G: to mimic the setup of a client system.
>
> When I plugged in a removable drive it gets assigned to the existing G
> drive and disappears.
>
> I know I can reassign it using the Disk Management, but I don't think I
> should have to do this every time I plug in a removeable drive. Is there a
> way to tell Windows XP not to use a drive already assigned to a drive
> letter?
>
> Craig Lindstrom
>

> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;297694
> To work around this issue if the new volume appears in Disk Management,
> specify a different drive letter for the new device or volume. To do this,
> follow these steps: 1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.
> 2. Under Computer Management (Local), click Disk Management.
> 3. In the list of drives in the right pane, right-click the new drive
> and then click Change Drive Letter and Path(s).
> 4. Click Change, and in the drop-down box, select a drive letter for
> the new drive that is not assigned to a mapped network drive.
> 5. Click OK, and then click OK again.
> Both the mapped network drives and the recently installed drive appear in
> Windows Explorer.

Pavel,

Thanks for a timely answer!

Craig

"Pavel" <Atin90@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> This could happened if you at one time assigned the G: to the removable
> drive.
> To correct this:
> 1. un-assign the current directory that is now mapped to the G:,
> 2. using Disk Management, remove a drive letter assignment to the
> removable drive,
> 3. remove the removable drive,
> 4. re-assign G: to the mapped directory
> 5 .plug the removable back
> It should now have new drive letter.
>
> --
> Pavel
>

> "Craig Roberts" <Somewhere @ Lindstrom Minnesota USA> wrote in message
>> I'm a developer.
>>
>> I have a directory mapped to G: to mimic the setup of a client system.
>>
>> When I plugged in a removable drive it gets assigned to the existing G
>> drive and disappears.
>>
>> I know I can reassign it using the Disk Management, but I don't think I
>> should have to do this every time I plug in a removeable drive. Is there
>> a way to tell Windows XP not to use a drive already assigned to a drive
>> letter?
>>
>> Craig Lindstrom
>>

>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;297694
>> To work around this issue if the new volume appears in Disk Management,
>> specify a different drive letter for the new device or volume. To do
>> this, follow these steps: 1. Right-click My Computer, and then click
>> Manage.
>> 2. Under Computer Management (Local), click Disk Management.
>> 3. In the list of drives in the right pane, right-click the new
>> drive and then click Change Drive Letter and Path(s).
>> 4. Click Change, and in the drop-down box, select a drive letter for
>> the new drive that is not assigned to a mapped network drive.
>> 5. Click OK, and then click OK again.
>> Both the mapped network drives and the recently installed drive appear in
>> Windows Explorer.

pavel

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2003

I think you got it fixed. Same can happen with Mapped network drives, so be
careful. On the other hand, sometimes you do want to have a fixed drive
letter assigned to a removable USB drive, specially when more than one such
drive is used in which case it would be a good practice to use drive letters
from the end of the alphabet.