PCI-E Video card and Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150MCE recomendat..

I just purchased a 4700 with the integrated video. At some point in the
near future, I would like to add an economy PCI-E video card. This is not a
game machine so I do not need a very high end card.

Does anybody have any recommendations of third party cards (preferably cards
that are actually installed in the 4700). I've seen several cards on
Newegg.com in the $60-$75 range. Are these any good or should I spend a bit
more.

I have the Windows Media Edition 2005. I was also thinking about adding a
tuner/capture card. I saw the Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150MCE on Amazon for $64.
Is this a decent card? Does anybody have this installed in a 4700? It
appears that I can also capture video from my VCR (720x480). This
resolution seems to be about the best that is offered. Should I look at a
USB device or will this card do the trick?

Lastly, I tried installing a 64 MB PCI card in the 4700 (while I wait for
the PCI-E card). The machine froze. Does the 4700 only work with the
integrated video and PCI-E?

I have the Hauppauge 150 MCE version installed on my Dim 8400 with MCE and
love it. It is connected to a DirecTV set top box but I ran it for about a
week (until I got the satellite hookup in the computer room) on just the
card itself (no antenna). It got 3 of 10 local channels almost perfectly
with no antenna at all. The FM radio is really pretty good also and it comes
with an antenna for it. Now I've also tried it with several other setups
besides Windows Media Center and it worked well with them also. If you don't
have MCE then get Beyond TV (trail version) and give it a try.

I looked at several before I bought the Hauppauge and it had the best
picture of the bunch. One last thing you will need a software decoder for it
and I highly recommend the one from NVIDIA if you have MCE. I'm about to get
a second one so I can watch and record at the same time.

If you don't want to use a PCI slot then look at their USB TV PVR those are
as good as the 150, 250, 500 models.

--

Joe Cilinceon

Make sure, if you go USB, to get the PVR USB2, not the older USB2 or WinTV
card.

I have two and they're great.

Tom
"Joe Cilinceon" <jfc@direcway.com> wrote in message
>I have the Hauppauge 150 MCE version installed on my Dim 8400 with MCE and
>love it. It is connected to a DirecTV set top box but I ran it for about a
>week (until I got the satellite hookup in the computer room) on just the
>card itself (no antenna). It got 3 of 10 local channels almost perfectly
>with no antenna at all. The FM radio is really pretty good also and it
>comes with an antenna for it. Now I've also tried it with several other
>setups besides Windows Media Center and it worked well with them also. If
>you don't have MCE then get Beyond TV (trail version) and give it a try.
>
> I looked at several before I bought the Hauppauge and it had the best
> picture of the bunch. One last thing you will need a software decoder for
> it and I highly recommend the one from NVIDIA if you have MCE. I'm about
> to get a second one so I can watch and record at the same time.
>
> If you don't want to use a PCI slot then look at their USB TV PVR those
> are as good as the 150, 250, 500 models.
>

> Art N wrote:
>> I just purchased a 4700 with the integrated video. At some point in
>> the near future, I would like to add an economy PCI-E video card. This is
>> not a game machine so I do not need a very high end card.
>>
>> Does anybody have any recommendations of third party cards
>> (preferably cards that are actually installed in the 4700). I've
>> seen several cards on Newegg.com in the $60-$75 range. Are these any
>> good or should I spend a bit more.
>>
>> I have the Windows Media Edition 2005. I was also thinking about
>> adding a tuner/capture card. I saw the Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150MCE on
>> Amazon for $64. Is this a decent card? Does anybody have this
>> installed in a 4700? It appears that I can also capture video from
>> my VCR (720x480). This resolution seems to be about the best that is
>> offered. Should I look at a USB device or will this card do the
>> trick?
>> Lastly, I tried installing a 64 MB PCI card in the 4700 (while I wait
>> for the PCI-E card). The machine froze. Does the 4700 only work
>> with the integrated video and PCI-E?
>
> --
>
> Joe Cilinceon

Joe,

Thanks for the good information.

When you talk about he antenna, I thought that I could just hook this card
into my cable connection. Am I wrong? Do I need another antenna?

I thought that the software decoder is for DVD. I have WinDVD. Do I need
something else?

I have Windows Media Edition 2005. Does it have the tools that I need or
will I still need something else like Beyond TV?

Thanks,

- Art

Art N wrote:
> Joe,
>
> Thanks for the good information.
>
> When you talk about he antenna, I thought that I could just hook this
> card into my cable connection. Am I wrong? Do I need another
> antenna?

I should have said this is how I set mine up when it arrived. I didn't run
the cable to my computer room until yesterday. I have it now setup with a
Hughes DirecTV set top box and it has full function thru Media Center. You
will need to connect the supplied FM antenna if you have nothing else that
will pull in FM such as an outside antenna. It is the simple "T" shaped wire
antenna that comes with almost ever sterio FM tuner.

> I thought that the software decoder is for DVD. I have WinDVD. Do I
> need something else?

I still recommend you try the NVIDIA DVD Decoder as it is better than the
WinDVD supplied. It is available for a 30 free trial. But you can live
without it.

> I have Windows Media Edition 2005. Does it have the tools that I
> need or will I still need something else like Beyond TV?

No, if you have Media Edition you won't need anything else. Beyond TV was a
suggestion if you didn't have MCE.

> Thanks,
>
> - Art

So far the only problem I've had is with the Dell supplied remote as it
won't adjust the volume but does do everything else fine. I've been
researching this problem but so far none of the fixes have worked. I do have
a Logitech Harmony 850 Universal remote in route that will replace every
remote (12) in the house. I've not yet tried to connect to my HDTV and won't
until HDTV is really work with the PC properly. I have recored a couple of
shows and burned one to a DVD+R with good results. I did use Nero for the
burning and not the built in stuff.

The only other thing I wished I could find is a way to use the radio outside
of MCE. I don't want to install a full XP media center but would love to
have something like Media Player capable of tuning in the FM. I've looked
for somthing like that but it doesn't seem to exist. Now, when I want to
listen to the radio I load MCE and minimize on my task bar. It works fine
and I have enough memory that it isn't a problem but it still has some
wasted overhead.

--

Joe Cilinceon

Once again, thanks Joe (and Tom too) for your input. It appears that will a
few minor purchases, I'll have quite a machine!

Anybody have any input on a "value" PCI-E card?

> Art N wrote:
>> Joe,
>>
>> Thanks for the good information.
>>
>> When you talk about he antenna, I thought that I could just hook this
>> card into my cable connection. Am I wrong? Do I need another
>> antenna?
>
> I should have said this is how I set mine up when it arrived. I didn't run
> the cable to my computer room until yesterday. I have it now setup with a
> Hughes DirecTV set top box and it has full function thru Media Center. You
> will need to connect the supplied FM antenna if you have nothing else that
> will pull in FM such as an outside antenna. It is the simple "T" shaped
> wire antenna that comes with almost ever sterio FM tuner.
>
>> I thought that the software decoder is for DVD. I have WinDVD. Do I
>> need something else?
>
> I still recommend you try the NVIDIA DVD Decoder as it is better than the
> WinDVD supplied. It is available for a 30 free trial. But you can live
> without it.
>
>> I have Windows Media Edition 2005. Does it have the tools that I
>> need or will I still need something else like Beyond TV?
>
> No, if you have Media Edition you won't need anything else. Beyond TV was
> a suggestion if you didn't have MCE.
>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> - Art
>
> So far the only problem I've had is with the Dell supplied remote as it
> won't adjust the volume but does do everything else fine. I've been
> researching this problem but so far none of the fixes have worked. I do
> have a Logitech Harmony 850 Universal remote in route that will replace
> every remote (12) in the house. I've not yet tried to connect to my HDTV
> and won't until HDTV is really work with the PC properly. I have recored a
> couple of shows and burned one to a DVD+R with good results. I did use
> Nero for the burning and not the built in stuff.
>
> The only other thing I wished I could find is a way to use the radio
> outside of MCE. I don't want to install a full XP media center but would
> love to have something like Media Player capable of tuning in the FM. I've
> looked for somthing like that but it doesn't seem to exist. Now, when I
> want to listen to the radio I load MCE and minimize on my task bar. It
> works fine and I have enough memory that it isn't a problem but it still
> has some wasted overhead.
>
> --
>
> Joe Cilinceon

In article <CQK_d.63339$755.6111@lakeread05>, an@home.com (Art N)
says...

> It
> appears that I can also capture video from my VCR (720x480). This
> resolution seems to be about the best that is offered.

At this time. That is the limiting resolution of MPEG-2, so if your
source will supply it (a VCR won't) you can record at full DVD
resolution.

When HD DVDs come out, like Blu-Ray, and encoding switches to MPEG-4, we
may see HDTV cards, but the studios start shrieking any time someone
mentions it. But hey, they didn't like DVD recorders either.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc

Your Cable connection will work fine. You don't need Beyond TV (although
that's what I use and it is fantastic).

Tom

Art N wrote:
> Once again, thanks Joe (and Tom too) for your input. It appears that
> will a few minor purchases, I'll have quite a machine!
>
> Anybody have any input on a "value" PCI-E card?
>>
>> Joe Cilinceon
I'm partial to NVIDIA based cards due to their driver support. I went with
the Express 16x 6800 NVIDIA 256 from Dell over the 6800 GTO card. I didn't
feel I need the difference in price compared to performance gained. Also the
6800 is the same as the one sold by NVIDIA and the GTO is OEM and somewhere
between the GT and 6800. ATI also makes some nice cards but seem to be more
expensive and I don't like their driver support or lack of it.

--

Joe Cilinceon

> Art N wrote:
>> Once again, thanks Joe (and Tom too) for your input. It appears that
>> will a few minor purchases, I'll have quite a machine!
>>
>> Anybody have any input on a "value" PCI-E card?
>>>
>>> Joe Cilinceon
> I'm partial to NVIDIA based cards due to their driver support. I went with
> the Express 16x 6800 NVIDIA 256 from Dell over the 6800 GTO card. I didn't
> feel I need the difference in price compared to performance gained. Also
> the 6800 is the same as the one sold by NVIDIA and the GTO is OEM and
> somewhere between the GT and 6800. ATI also makes some nice cards but seem
> to be more expensive and I don't like their driver support or lack of it.
>
> --
>
> Joe Cilinceon

Interesting, as I prefer the ATI for exactly the same reason. Not only is
ATI's support good, the third-party Omega drivers are outstanding.

Either way, you're probably safe

LOL, yep I drive a Ford and my wife a Chevy so go figure.