Directions wanted on Win XP Setting up a home network

Aloha, I do not know if this should be addressed to this NG or to a
different one.
I have a very simple network, two home computers; my desktop and my laptop.
It's really simple what I want. 1) to have each computer be able to see
files from
the other 2.) And to be able to print out from both computers to the same
printer.
( I have my printer hooked up to my desktop.)

I have a router made by Netgear who told me to use the software on XP to do
this.
I have twice had a computer technician come to my house to do this for me,
and now
he does not want to come back and do the same thing again. But he wouldn't
teach me how to do it for myself;
so I want to learn. Is it as simple as following the prompts in Windows XP
for setting up a
network? Where ever I go to even start that.

AND SHOULD I delete EVERYTHING that is currently on both computers under
Network EVEN THOUGH EVERYTHING I WANT IS working EXCEPT
I am unable to read the Desktop computers' two hard drives (C:/ and D:/)
from the laptop.
I get a screen that tells me the Network PATH was not found. Oddly enough
this only happens
after an XP update installs itself. I'm not an idiot and I am PRETTY
computer literate,
an RN so I DO feel I can learn how to do this myself if given the directions
somewhere.
Please don't tell me to go on line and look. I was directed to do so from my
Netgear and
they all want hundreds of dollars PER incident including Netgear with no
guarantee I will have
written directions should I need to do this yet again in the future.

Thank you to anyone who has the patience to answer this and direct me so I
can learn how to do
this myself. I greatly appreciate it.

islandantoinette hawaii rr its a com not a net addy

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Antoinette,

You are in the XP-General newsgroup.

Network help can be found in the XP-network_web newsgroup. Just look in the
newsgroup list and you'll find it.

In the meantime: http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/troubleshoot/

"Antoinette" <islandantoinett@hawaii.rr.com> wrote in message
> Aloha, I do not know if this should be addressed to this NG or to a
> different one.
> I have a very simple network, two home computers; my desktop and my
> laptop.
> It's really simple what I want. 1) to have each computer be able to see
> files from
> the other 2.) And to be able to print out from both computers to the same
> printer.
> ( I have my printer hooked up to my desktop.)
>
> I have a router made by Netgear who told me to use the software on XP to
> do this.
> I have twice had a computer technician come to my house to do this for me,
> and now
> he does not want to come back and do the same thing again. But he
> wouldn't teach me how to do it for myself;
> so I want to learn. Is it as simple as following the prompts in Windows
> XP for setting up a
> network? Where ever I go to even start that.
>
> AND SHOULD I delete EVERYTHING that is currently on both computers under
> Network EVEN THOUGH EVERYTHING I WANT IS working EXCEPT
> I am unable to read the Desktop computers' two hard drives (C:/ and D:/)
> from the laptop.
> I get a screen that tells me the Network PATH was not found. Oddly
> enough this only happens
> after an XP update installs itself. I'm not an idiot and I am PRETTY
> computer literate,
> an RN so I DO feel I can learn how to do this myself if given the
> directions somewhere.
> Please don't tell me to go on line and look. I was directed to do so from
> my Netgear and
> they all want hundreds of dollars PER incident including Netgear with no
> guarantee I will have
> written directions should I need to do this yet again in the future.
>
> Thank you to anyone who has the patience to answer this and direct me so I
> can learn how to do
> this myself. I greatly appreciate it.
>
> islandantoinette hawaii rr its a com not a net addy

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I forgot - here's some reading material:

Windows XP Booklist

Microsoft Windows XP Inside Out 2nd ed ISBN 0-7356-2044-X
www.microsoft.com/mspress
Microsoft Windows XP Professional Resource Kit 3rd ed ISBN 0-7356-2167-5
www.microsoft.com/mspress
Microsoft Windows Command-Line ISBN 0-7356-2038-5
www.microsoft.com/mspress
Windows XP Pro 2nd ed The Missing Manual ISBN 0-596-00898-8
www.missingmanuals.com
Windows XP in a Nutshell, 2nd Edition ISBN 0-596-00900-3 www.oreilly.com
Windows XP Annoyances for Geeks, 2nd ed ISBN 0-596-00876-7 www.oreilly.com
Windows XP Hacks, 2nd ed ISBN 0-596-0000918-6 www.oreilly.com
Windows XP Solutions ISBN 0-7645-6773-X www.wiley.com/compbooks/pcmag
Windows XP Speed Solutions ISBN 0-7645-7814-6
www.wiley.com/compbooks/pcmag
Guide to Home Networking ISBN 0-7645-4473-X www.wiley.com/compbooks/pcmag
Hacking Windows XP ISBN 0-7645-6929-5 www.TweakXP.com

Downloadable Guides

XP Tweak Guide (TweakGuides_XPTC.zip) from www.TweakGuides.com
Windows Registry Guide (registryguide2003.exe) from www.winguides.com
Error Message for Windows (MSWinErr.zip) from www.gregorybraun.com

The BIOS

The BIOS Companion ISBN 0-9681928-0-7 www.electrocution.com
Breaking Through The BIOS Barrier ISBN 0-13-145536-2 www.rojakpot.com

PC Hardware in a Nutshell ISBN 0-596-00513-X www.oreilly.com

"Antoinette" <islandantoinett@hawaii.rr.com> wrote in message
> Aloha, I do not know if this should be addressed to this NG or to a
> different one.
> I have a very simple network, two home computers; my desktop and my
> laptop.
> It's really simple what I want. 1) to have each computer be able to see
> files from
> the other 2.) And to be able to print out from both computers to the same
> printer.
> ( I have my printer hooked up to my desktop.)
>
> I have a router made by Netgear who told me to use the software on XP to
> do this.
> I have twice had a computer technician come to my house to do this for me,
> and now
> he does not want to come back and do the same thing again. But he
> wouldn't teach me how to do it for myself;
> so I want to learn. Is it as simple as following the prompts in Windows
> XP for setting up a
> network? Where ever I go to even start that.
>
> AND SHOULD I delete EVERYTHING that is currently on both computers under
> Network EVEN THOUGH EVERYTHING I WANT IS working EXCEPT
> I am unable to read the Desktop computers' two hard drives (C:/ and D:/)
> from the laptop.
> I get a screen that tells me the Network PATH was not found. Oddly
> enough this only happens
> after an XP update installs itself. I'm not an idiot and I am PRETTY
> computer literate,
> an RN so I DO feel I can learn how to do this myself if given the
> directions somewhere.
> Please don't tell me to go on line and look. I was directed to do so from
> my Netgear and
> they all want hundreds of dollars PER incident including Netgear with no
> guarantee I will have
> written directions should I need to do this yet again in the future.
>
> Thank you to anyone who has the patience to answer this and direct me so I
> can learn how to do
> this myself. I greatly appreciate it.
>
> islandantoinette hawaii rr its a com not a net addy

Hi! I will not give some urls to follow! I will try to help you out with this
isue and if you don't understand please let me know!

So... to create a small network between two computers, go to
START-SETINGS-NETWORK CONNECTIONS, double click o your "LOCAL AREA NETWORK"
go to properties tab and click the TCP/IP. Give a static IP, for example:

Configure your desktop with the next settings:
IP ADDRESS: 192.168.1.201
SUBNET: 255.255.255.0

Configure your laptop with the next settings:
IP ADDRESS: 192.168.1.202
SUBNET: 255.255.255.0

It is very important that both computers have to be in the same workgroup.

To share a printer,go to your desktop, go to START-SETTINGS-PRINTER, righ
click on the printer which you would like to share, click SHARING, and that's
all wih the desktop.

Go to your laptop open a WINDOWS EXPLORER and type in the address:
\\192.168.1.201 (That's the address of your desktop computer). You should see
the printer! Right click on the printer and click connect.
Done with the printer.

BEST REGARDS
ALEX

Antoinette wrote:
> Aloha, I do not know if this should be addressed to this NG or to a
> different one.
> I have a very simple network, two home computers; my desktop and my laptop.
> It's really simple what I want. 1) to have each computer be able to see
> files from
> the other 2.) And to be able to print out from both computers to the same
> printer.
> ( I have my printer hooked up to my desktop.)
>
> I have a router made by Netgear who told me to use the software on XP to do
> this.
> I have twice had a computer technician come to my house to do this for me,
> and now
> he does not want to come back and do the same thing again. But he wouldn't
> teach me how to do it for myself;
> so I want to learn. Is it as simple as following the prompts in Windows XP
> for setting up a
> network? Where ever I go to even start that.
>
> AND SHOULD I delete EVERYTHING that is currently on both computers under
> Network EVEN THOUGH EVERYTHING I WANT IS working EXCEPT
> I am unable to read the Desktop computers' two hard drives (C:/ and D:/)
> from the laptop.
> I get a screen that tells me the Network PATH was not found. Oddly enough
> this only happens
> after an XP update installs itself. I'm not an idiot and I am PRETTY
> computer literate,
> an RN so I DO feel I can learn how to do this myself if given the directions
> somewhere.
> Please don't tell me to go on line and look. I was directed to do so from my
> Netgear and
> they all want hundreds of dollars PER incident including Netgear with no
> guarantee I will have
> written directions should I need to do this yet again in the future.
>
> Thank you to anyone who has the patience to answer this and direct me so I
> can learn how to do
> this myself. I greatly appreciate it.
>
> islandantoinette hawaii rr its a com not a net addy

On the WinXP computers, create local user account(s), with non-blank
password(s), that have the desired access privileges to the desired
shares. Log on to the other PCs using those account(s), and you will be
able to access the designated shares, provided your network is
configured properly. Also, if running WinXP SP1 or later, make sure
that WinXP's built-in firewall is disabled on the internal LAN
connection. If using WinXP SP2, make sure that you've either disabled
the built-in firewall, or set the firewall to allow file and print sharing.

Usually, WinXP's Networking Wizard makes it simple and painless --
almost entirely automatic, in fact. There's a lot of useful,
easy-to-follow information in WinXP's Help & Support files, and here:

Home Networking
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/howto/homenet/default.asp

Networking Information
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking.htm