Repair install "cannot create folder"

Hi:

I am helping my son resolve a BSOD boot problem with Windows XP Home. He
cannot boot in any way (not safe mode or last good configuration, etc.).
He gets a BSOD within a couple of seconds of the XP start up splash screen.

I suggest a "repair install." He has a Dell PC with a full XP Home Disc.
But as soon as the "repair install" starts, he gets the following message...

"Setup cannot create the folder \windows\system32\wbem\xml"

I had him boot a "Recovery Console" and browse to the
\windows\system32\wbem directory. He does not see an "xml" subdirectory.
That is odd as I checked three XP installations I have access to and all
have that directory. I guess it is possible that the "xml" directory is
there but is possibly hidden or read only?

We really want to avoid a full re-install as he has user files he wants
to recover before hand (I gave him the "backup your data" lecture --
grin). I am sending him Knoppix 3.8.1 which should let him copy all his
user data to his USB thumb drive.

But, any help on getting this "repair install" to work would be appreciated.

Does this appear to be a possible virus issue? He says he has keep his
definitions up to date.

Thanks for any ideas.

Jess
5 answers Last reply
More about repair install cannot create folder

    Hi Jess

    Have you had a look at the following article by Michael Stevens regarding a
    'Repair' install of XP:

    "How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

    "Jess Jackson" <jessjackson@cox.net> wrote in message
    > Hi:
    >
    > I am helping my son resolve a BSOD boot problem with Windows XP Home. He
    > cannot boot in any way (not safe mode or last good configuration, etc.).
    > He gets a BSOD within a couple of seconds of the XP start up splash
    > screen.
    >
    > I suggest a "repair install." He has a Dell PC with a full XP Home Disc.
    > But as soon as the "repair install" starts, he gets the following
    > message...
    >
    > "Setup cannot create the folder \windows\system32\wbem\xml"
    >
    > I had him boot a "Recovery Console" and browse to the
    > \windows\system32\wbem directory. He does not see an "xml" subdirectory.
    > That is odd as I checked three XP installations I have access to and all
    > have that directory. I guess it is possible that the "xml" directory is
    > there but is possibly hidden or read only?
    >
    > We really want to avoid a full re-install as he has user files he wants to
    > recover before hand (I gave him the "backup your data" lecture --
    > grin). I am sending him Knoppix 3.8.1 which should let him copy all his
    > user data to his USB thumb drive.
    >
    > But, any help on getting this "repair install" to work would be
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Does this appear to be a possible virus issue? He says he has keep his
    > definitions up to date.
    >
    > Thanks for any ideas.
    >
    > Jess

    I'm not sure if you should see an XML folder , although it could be hidden.

    You could try using the attrib command.

    see the below KB article.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326549

    the command would look like :
    attrib -h c:\windows\system32\wbem\xml ( should remove the hidden attribute)

    However from what I can remember there could be a permissions issue on the
    folder , if you try and access the xml sub-folder , do you get an access
    denied ?

    --
    ________
    NIC

    Hi Will:

    A great article and very helpful generally but we get stuck at the
    "Setup cannot create the folder..." point in the repair install.

    Any other ideas?

    Thanks,
    Jess

    Will Denny wrote:
    > Hi Jess
    >
    > Have you had a look at the following article by Michael Stevens regarding a
    > 'Repair' install of XP:
    >
    > "How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"

    Hi Jess

    Has the XP CD been used before for either a 'Clean' install or 'Repair'
    install of XP? Is it possible for you to post the Stop Code from the BSOD?
    With that, a narrowing down of the intial problem may be possible.

    --

    > Hi Will:
    >
    > A great article and very helpful generally but we get stuck at the
    > "Setup cannot create the folder..." point in the repair install.
    >
    > Any other ideas?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jess
    >
    > Will Denny wrote:
    >> Hi Jess
    >>
    >> Have you had a look at the following article by Michael Stevens regarding
    >> 'Repair' install of XP:
    >>
    >> "How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"
    >> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

    Will, thanks for referring my web page and giving a good follow-up.
    Unfornatualy the OP didn't get back to you with the stop code info. I really
    appreciate the references to my web site, and hope to be back on the
    newsgroups after my eye surgery.
    --
    Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi Jess
    >
    > Has the XP CD been used before for either a 'Clean' install or 'Repair'
    > install of XP? Is it possible for you to post the Stop Code from the BSOD?
    > With that, a narrowing down of the intial problem may be possible.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "Jess Jackson" <jessjackson@cox.net> wrote in message
    > > Hi Will:
    > >
    > > A great article and very helpful generally but we get stuck at the
    > > "Setup cannot create the folder..." point in the repair install.
    > >
    > > Any other ideas?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Jess
    > >
    > > Will Denny wrote:
    > >> Hi Jess
    > >>
    > >> Have you had a look at the following article by Michael Stevens regarding
    > >> 'Repair' install of XP:
    > >>
    > >> "How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"
    > >> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Windows XP