Sign in with
Your question

Laptop Buying Advice

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
February 2, 2010 5:44:49 AM

1_What is your budget? £800

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 15"-16"

3_What screen resolution do you want? 1366x768 minimum, 1680x1050 preferred.

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Something that will sit quite happily on my knee

5_How much battery life do you need? Enough to watch a movie (2-3hrs)

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? Yes. Would like to run a couple of games, mainly EvE online and the upcomming star trek/star wars mmo's. (don't mind running on min settings).

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.) Watch movies, browse web.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need? I have various external drives to pick up any slack in this dept so unimportant say 320Gb as that seems to be the min.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them. Prefer to buy from U.K. based companies/sites.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop? 3/4 years

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? DVD ROM is fine

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. Have not predjudice here as long as it is a quality product

13_What country do you live in? U.K.

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Thanks for any feedback

More about : laptop buying advice

February 2, 2010 10:39:10 AM

Hi there, I'm also from the UK and have been looking at lappies lately.

Not sure you want a 15/16" laptop on your knee, however....

Old school, but good value, if a lowly GPU (GF9300) is an Acer 6930G which can be had for £439. Includes Blu-Ray.

There are some nice new core i3/i5 lappies out/coming out.

Acer have some with dedicated graphics but they're above your budget (AS5940 and AS5942).

Sony have two models imminent, one of which I will buy myself. They're the 13.3" S series and the 14" CW2 series. The CW2 has GF330M whilst the S has GF310M. Speccing these up though will blow your budget. On the 16" front Sony will have the new F series.

Elsewhere, i3/i5/i7 models are starting to filter through from the likes of Dell, HP, Samsung, Toshiba etc.

Hope this has helped,
Tony.
a b D Laptop
February 2, 2010 3:29:41 PM

You would want to look at:

ASUS F50Sv-A2 (why? cheap)
Dell Studio 16 (why? good design,
Vaio NW (why? lightweight, cheap but somewhat basic with its 2.2 ghz core 2 duo processor)

i own the VAIO CW and i love it. but u mentioned 15 inch, and as tony mentioned its 14 inch....

the f series has short battery life but enough for watching a DVD

all in all, if you want the most enjoyable 15 inch experience, you would go for the Sony VAIO F, or the Dell studio 16...

but i am assuming that you dont want a mac (the most enjoyable lightweight 15 inch laptop) as u wanna play games.

February 2, 2010 5:47:19 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys. Think i am gona go with the VIAO F series with a lil' extras.
Gona add in the i5 processor ,4gb ram, the 1920 res screen, 330M and blue ray player.
Takes me £100 over my budget but I think i am getting a good product so paying a lil more might be worth it. (unless someone puts me off ;)  )
Will have a browse around tommorow and if nothing else tickles me fancy then will go F series.
!