IBM donating fab space to AMD?

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
<A HREF="http://www.siliconstrategies.com/story/OEG20030509S0034" target="_new">http://www.siliconstrategies.com/story/OEG20030509S0034</A>

I could actually see this happening. It would be good for AMD, since AMD would get much-needed fab space and dodge much of the initial cost of migrating to 300mm wafers. It would be good for IBM, because AMD's work is going to benefit SOI process engineering--perhaps bring it to a yield level where it's suitable for mass-production. And IBM might gain access to any other process-engineering enhancements AMD is developing on the side.

<i>I can love my fellow man...but I'm damned if I'll love yours.</i>

eden

Champion
A second fab would make all the difference.
Not just that but they would be able to advertise and expect to be able to supply the demand much more easily than before, like with the Athlon introduction. They could even dedicate a part just for Dell or big OEMs.
I think AMD doesn't mind at all sharing stuff with IBM, it's just IBM that I am worried about. This teaming is simply weird, and I wonder just when will IBM benefit and enjoy such a teamup.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:

reever2

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2003
Im sure IBM has more than enough fab space to go around, seeing as how they are also using thier fabs for nvidia gpus this wont surprise me

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
how about an IBM and AMD merger? lol you never know
Heheheh...that would be ironic.

1) IBM starts the PC industry with a system slapped together almost completely from OTS parts (one of which is an Intel 8088 CPU).

2) Manufacturers begin wildly cloning said OTS parts, and the PC industry gets away from IBM.

3) Thirty years later, Intel's gone their own way developing a completely different architecture (IA64), and IBM becomes one of the premier x86 CPU manufacturers.

I feel like I should utter some Zen-like saying about the circle being complete. :eek:

<i>I can love my fellow man...but I'm damned if I'll love yours.</i>