Sign in with
Your question

Athlon and Celeron

Last response: in CPUs
May 10, 2003 7:44:13 PM

Could anyone please tell me which CPU is faster? Athlon XP 2200 or Celeron 2.2 GHz? Could you also explain why?

Are they okay if I don't have much budget and I am thinking about overclocking them?

Thanks for showing me all the need to knows

More about : athlon celeron

May 10, 2003 8:11:37 PM

athlon xp 2200 should be faster than cel 2,2 GHz. Newer celerons don't have much L1 cache (128kb) so that's why the Athlon is better.
Edit: if you don't have much budget, then you should buy Athlon xp 1700 b. I'm not sure which ones are most overclockable, but some have oc'd their 1700+ to 2700+

survive to die another day<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ipruul on 05/10/03 04:14 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
May 10, 2003 8:16:46 PM

Athlon for sure. Celeron does less work per clock cycle, has less cache and etc, etc...

If you plan to overclock, I recomend the 1700 JIUHB @ like excaliber.com and they are guarenteed overclock of 2Ghz. The 2100 XP is also a good overclock CPU as well.

These steppings are good. 0302 ~ 0310
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by fo_sho on 05/10/03 04:17 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
Related resources
May 10, 2003 10:08:32 PM

The XP2200 is gonna wup the celeron2.2's backside!

The more accurate comparison would be between a Duron 1300 and the celeron.

But still, the Celeron is a very respectable CPU... they are rock stable, run nice and cool, fast enough for most applications and cheap enough to put in econo-boxes.

---><font color=green>It ain't better if it don't work</font color=green><---
May 10, 2003 11:15:35 PM

The 2200+ Athlon could whoop a celeron running at approx 3.5Gighz let alone a 2.2Gighz celeron. It is because the P4 celeron just straight out sucks. It is a piece of garbage. As teq said you are looking at a Duron 1.3gighz or an old Athlon 1Gighz to compare to the celeron 2.2gighz. Stay away from the P4 celeron`s at all costs.
AREA_51

'It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames'
May 11, 2003 12:46:40 AM

Athlon XP2200+ should be your choice
May 11, 2003 3:36:27 AM

Quote:
STAY AWAY from P4 based Celerons

Why?

May 11, 2003 3:37:45 AM

That is simply not reasonable. The celeron is a perfectly good CPU for anyone looking to do general office work or homeowner type stuff.

May 11, 2003 6:05:48 AM

and an athlon xp 2200+ which is cheaper and runs faster is not a perfectly good for those apps?

Instead of Rdram, why not just merge 4 Sdram channels...
May 11, 2003 8:40:58 AM

At least $83 for a Celeron 2.2 Ghz.

It stands no chance against anything in the same price range by AMD.

<font color=green>Everyone should be like the Dutch. They're perfect.</font color=green>
May 11, 2003 8:56:32 AM

As Quetzacoatl said why is an Athlon 2200+ which ios cheaper and MUCH faster not more reasonable? What is it with you and your love of the P4 based celerons?
AREA_51

'It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames'
May 11, 2003 9:14:20 AM

Ph34r teh celery....

etc etc
May 11, 2003 9:57:05 AM

hehehehehe

ASSUMING they are the same price, the XP2200+ wins 95% of the time.

The only time the celleron 2.2 wins is with PURE Mhz related Apps... and the number of those people run on a regular basis is...err... zip? nada? nill?

Put simply the celleron 2.2 lacks bandwidth. partially due to the substandard SDRAM/DDR platform, mostly due to the significant lack of L2 cache it has. It <b>REALLY</b> strangles performance, to the effect that an overclocked 3Ghz celleron can get beaten by a XP1600+ in games. Thats a 1500Mhz difference.

<b>Melb_angel = THGC's <i>INNOCENT</i> Angel</b> :smile:
<A HREF="http://www.picturetrail.com/master_poobaa" target="_new">PooBaa's Pics!</A>
May 11, 2003 11:19:05 AM

An amusing story is the guy who lives next door to me and is an Intel zealot built a Celeron 2.0ghz for someone recently and used sdram of all things (we all know how shitfully a P4 runs with sdram let alone a Celeron)! I was running a 1600+ Athlon XP in my rig at the time when he knocked on my door smugly saying "I've just built the fastest PC you'll have seen yet!" I said I'd bring my rig over and run some games and benchmarks to compare them. He replied "I wouldn't bother mate as your’s is only a 1600 well not even that 1400 or something isn’t it if you disregard AMD's Bullshit ratings”.

Anyway he soon bit his tongue after running the games and benchmarks on the two computers. The games particularly showed the Celeron's poor performance and were quite jerky at higher resolutions where as my AXP ran them as smoothly as anything! Both rigs were running equivalent video cards.

I must say although I knew my rig would beat the Celeron I was shocked at how poor the Celeron really was. I put it down to the sdram as I've heard that the lack of bandwidth severely affects P4 and P4 based Celerons already inefficient design. Obviously anyone out there who insists on having a P4/Celeron invest in at least Dual DDR or Rambus Memory!
May 11, 2003 4:43:23 PM

Why do you hate them?

May 11, 2003 4:48:10 PM

why do you mistake rational thought for a sign of an intel fan boy. since when does thought have anything to do with being a fan boy?

<font color=red> black </font color=red> <font color=green> white </font color=green> <font color=blue> yellow </font color=blue> <font color=orange> purple </font color=orange> <font color=black> red </font color=black> <font color=yellow> green </font color=yellow> <font color=purple> blue </font color=purple>
May 11, 2003 5:25:11 PM

Please... Not this bullsmut again!

It's interesting how conveniently he's overlooked the part of this where I explained that the celeron is going to get whupped by a Duron.

Last time he blind eyed himself to the little matter that while I prefer selling Intel into the SOHO market I deal with, I use AMD in my own personal machines.

Oh well... I guess there are twits everywhere...

May 11, 2003 11:06:15 PM

I never said anywhere in this thread he was a fanboy. I asked him why he loves P4 celerons so much.
AREA_51

May 11, 2003 11:18:39 PM

Because they are a rip off. Here in Australia for the same price as a P4 celeron 1.7Gighz you can get an Athlon 1800+ which will absolutly burn down the celeron and piss on the ashes. And for the same price of a celeron 2.4Gighz you can get an Athlon 2500+. Or for just a little more than the 2.4Gighz Celeron you can get a 1.8Gighz P4 which will still kill the celeron. I just dislike P4 celerons because anyone who is convinced to buy one is just straight out getting ripped off. They are getting a far inferiour product for a superiour product price. I have had the misfourtune to service a few P4 2gighz celeron based machines and in my experiance they might be able to hold their own to a 1Gighz Athlon in a few tests and in something constant and predictable but the general feel of the machine is sluggish compared to the Athlon. It takes a bit longer to open IE on the celeron or the Athlon opens explorer just a bit faster. That is where the P4 celeron really shows how it rips people off. The only good celeron is the old P2 and P3 based celeron. At least they wernt such a royal rip off.
AREA_51

May 11, 2003 11:28:06 PM

Ok when did I overlook what you said. (A duron 1.3Gighz will kill a celeron 2.2Gighz) I did the opposite and agreed with you on that one. And so what you use AMD in your personal machines. I never disputed that fact nor did I ignore it. I use intel in one of my personal machines. It doesnt mean anything. You seem to just want to get rid of the last shred of recpect you have left on this forum dont you. I will admit your behaviour has improved greatly in the past week or 2. But you are starting to go back to your old mode. It is a real pity that no one actively moderates these forums.
AREA_51

May 12, 2003 12:03:10 AM

Ill moderate. Ive been here allmost the longest. And honesty the flame wars here are plae shadows of what they were in the past.
Now those were marshmellow cookin goodness.

<b>Melb_angel = THGC's <i>INNOCENT</i> Angel</b> :smile:
<A HREF="http://www.picturetrail.com/master_poobaa" target="_new">PooBaa's Pics!</A>
May 12, 2003 12:23:20 AM

Yes. I agree that we have only had very light flame wars. At least in my time here. I have seen some flame wars on another forum that are so bad that to look in from an outside observer`s point of view they are just straight out funny. It got so bad thay started a folder in the forum specificaly for flame wars. We flame anything and everything in there. Anything from AMD and Intel to pollies to what you had for breakfast. :-) But anyway I would vote you as a moderator. Anyone else want to vote? I know fredi is officialy the modorater but we need a moderator that actively participates in the community and follows everything that is going on.
AREA_51

May 12, 2003 3:43:52 AM

CPUs are pieces of machinery. They are designed to do a certain job. I neither love nor hate any of them. I just use the ones that will get the best results in a given situation.

May 12, 2003 3:45:44 AM

Quote:
You seem to just want to get rid of the last shred of recpect you have left on this forum dont you. I will admit your behaviour has improved greatly in the past week or 2. But you are starting to go back to your old mode. It is a real pity that no one actively moderates these forums.

Can you figure out what "G. F. Y." means?

May 12, 2003 4:34:25 AM

If that were true you would recommend P3 based celerons or full P4`s or 1700+ T-Bred B`s or even Palomino`s instead of P4 based celerons. The P4 celeron can be beat by everything except VIA C3 in any real world situation. And yes I figured out what "G. F. Y" means to you. I just had to think to myself "Hmm what would that mean to the avarage 3 year old retard?". Is that what you do every time before you post on these forums?
AREA_51

May 12, 2003 5:23:26 AM

OMFGyou guys...

ok Teq like Intel. you guys like AMD. NOW GET OVER IT!!!!!!!!!!!

or else ill poke your cornholes, and you WONT like it trust me

-------

<A HREF="http://www.xgr.com" target="_new">XGR-Game Reviews</A>

"You change the channel, and you change our minds..." - System of a Down
May 12, 2003 5:25:02 AM

oh yeah and the Celery 2.2 suxxor. you could get a much faster CPU for less. clock speed doesnt mean everything. i mean, a 2200+ will probably be 2x as fast for gaming or any other heavy application. if your surfing the net and like the name "celeron", then go for it, its your money. just dont come back here complaining when you dont get good FPS in ut2003

-------

May 12, 2003 5:54:58 AM

Apply logic for once in your life...

I can sell a celeron 2ghz to someone at a good price, give them reasonable performance for lighter processing such as word processing, email etc. Then later on I can go back, install a full P4 and get a second profit from the same machine and give the customer a real kick ass improvement in performance.

And Phial... I DO NOT sell celerons for gaming... did you read what I said... I said they are decent processors for general office or homeowner work... you know typing letters and doing homework, that kind of thing.

I gotta tell you, the narrowmindedness in this place an be gut wrenching at times.

May 12, 2003 6:10:18 AM

dude i wasnt contradicting what you were saying. i was telling them to get over the fact that you think intel is good ;P

i know you wouldnt sell celerys for gaming. i was telling the dude that celerys arent good for that area. guess i should have clicked respond on his post.. my bad

;) 

-------

May 12, 2003 6:19:59 AM

So you admit it. You are just ripping off your customers. You are giving them a second rate machine JUST so they have to come back and pay for a performing machine later on when they want some power. Using your same logic I could say I sell a T-Bred 1700+ that gives them a good machine and when they need to upgrade stick in a Barton 3000+ or the highest CPU available the mobo will take when they upgrade. The P4 celeron IS NOT A GOOD PRICED CPU. It is a pure rip off. Have you even compared the prices of P4 Celeron 2.2Gighz and an Athlon 2200. The Athlon is of course cheaper but the Athlon performs so much better. So straight out you are ripping off your customers by supplying them with an inferiour machine so they are forced to come back to you. You disgust me. I may build some machines to make a good profit on but I am not dishonest enough to do that. I make sure my customers have a machine that can cut it when they need the power. It seems you dont care about your customers you only care about fleecing them for as much money as you can get out of them.
AREA_51

May 12, 2003 7:07:36 AM

i do have to agree that celerons are rip off big time.

lower performance for a higher price. thats all there it to it.

-------

May 12, 2003 8:44:11 AM

Auctaly the best would be a comparason of a Celery 2.2Gighz and an AMD CPU for the closest possible price. Now here in Australia the closest priced AMD CPU to the 2.2Gighz celery is the Athlon 2200+. In fact they are the exact same price in most places. That is my point about P4 celery`s just being a rip off the the avarage person and why it is just dishonest to sell them.
AREA_51

May 12, 2003 1:25:23 PM

Athlon XP 2200 is more faster than Celeron 2.2G, Celeron 2.0G is not good than XP 1800 even if I OC it to 3.0G, so faint.
May 12, 2003 2:45:18 PM

Hey Phial, it's not a problem. I'm just getting sick of this waste of skin trying to find fault with everything I say...

There is more to building and selling a good computer than "this is faster than that"... heat, noise, ruggedness, stability, compatibility, cost, upgradeability, etc. are all important considerations. A celeron based system makes a good low cost start for a SOHO or home user type customer who's looking to save a few bucks and may or may not need more horsepower down the road. Celerons may not be speed demons, but they do have their place in the market.

I have about 15 Celeron 2g systems out there now... and I've never had to do a service call on one of them yet. For the customer that's a good thing because they have a very reliable computer, for me it's a good thing because I make a profit... it's win win... and there's nothing wrong with that.

I don't know what this kid's problem is and I'm sorry you got caught up in it.

May 12, 2003 4:45:52 PM

Teq, I understand how Celerons can be useful for office use and how for someone like you who builds computers they can be very nice profit makers but you must consider that the large majority of people we are reccomending to on this forum are more interested in games than office apps. For this reason it can be justified that although a celeron is useful in some situations, reccomending it to someone on a performance PC forum just shouldn't really happen.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5467618 " target="_new">Almost Breaking 12k!!</A>
May 12, 2003 6:06:36 PM

Of course... thee are a lot of performance enthusiasts here... Count me in that number too... Again, I use AMD personally because I want the extra kick... I wouldn't recommend Celeron to a gamer any more than I'd recommend checkers to a sports enthusiast.

BUT, can we keep in mind what the original question was? We were asked to compare XP to Celeron... Then people started the fanboy stuff and next thing I know this whole "you're a thief", "You're incompetent" BS started up again. Since when is it wrong to answer the question <i>as asked</i>???

May 13, 2003 2:01:16 AM

Auctaly you were the one who started it not me. With your celeron fanboy garbage. I made a statement saying the P4 celeron sucks several other people made similar statements and you didnt like it. And if you are juvinile enough to resort to simple insults that you think I care about when a 10 year old wouldnt care well it truly does prove your character. Or lack of I should say. Flame all you want. We all know what sort of person you are. Oh and I dont try and discredit everything you say. If you recall I originaly backed you up and used your example in the beginning of this thread. And in other threads I have agreed with you. So you can hardly say I try to discredit everything you say. And there is nothing wrong with answering the question as asked. You did do that in the first place and as I said I agreed with what you had to say. It is your behaviour later that was wrong.
AREA_51

May 13, 2003 2:52:29 AM

Quote:
Auctaly you were the one who started it not me. With your celeron fanboy garbage

Where are you getting this bullshit from?

Yes, I recognize that celerons have a place in the market but so do Durons, XPs, C3s and P4s... how exactly do you get from there to "celeron fanboy".

In truth, I give no alegiance to any inanimate object. These are computers, hunks of plastic and metal. They are neither deserving or needing of loyalty. That is something you give to people, not machines.

The original writer in this thread asked which was faster xp2000 or celeron2.2. I answered honestly... the xp will wup the celeron everytime. But, I also pointed out that celerons are still a decent processor in some applications.

Suddenly you start saying celerons are garbage... I merely pointed out they are not. They may not be your choice, they may not be right in your applications, but they are a long long way from "garbage". They perform admirably in situations where the dominant behaviour is waiting for human input --word processing, e-mail, faxing, etc. Why should someone pay hundreds of dollars they don't need to spend getting a high end athlon or p4 when the stupid thing is going to spend 90% of it's time waiting for a keystroke or waiting for data from a 14400 baud fax connection? Get real... a 386 could do that job... you don't need to spend $3,000 on some super duper machine when you can do the same job well enough with a $600 econobox.

You forget --probably with deliberacy-- that not everyone plays games or needs massive computing power and not everyone needs to pay the price for high end chips and boards to get their jobs done. Everything has it's place, and I merely recognize that... without caring one whit who makes it or what you think of it.

I don't know why you are trying to pick a fight, but this one is over. You'll get no more replies from me.

May 13, 2003 3:01:48 AM

Your good words P4 based Celeron was "they're stable and fine for basic apps." But you should keep in mind that any current Intel/AMD cpu is enough for basic apps and also stable. Stability and capability of doing basic apps isn't any special thing for P4 based Celerons. So stability and capability of doing basic apps. can't be a valid reason for buying a P4 based Celeron. P4 based Celerons simply shouldn't exist.

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new"> My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new"> My Rig</A></b>
May 13, 2003 3:57:57 AM

Realistically speaking the CPU's of today are so cheap that even a Duron shouldn't exist. It wasn't that many years ago that we were paying $3000-$5000 for a computer system since CPU's cost a lot of money.

We're talking about sub $100 processors here.

<font color=green>Everyone should be like the Dutch. They're perfect.</font color=green>
May 13, 2003 8:48:47 AM

Ok, I understand. TBH we should have asked him the exact purpose of the computer the processor would be used in, then we could decide which one would be best for that given scenario.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5467618 " target="_new">Almost Breaking 12k!!</A>
May 13, 2003 10:27:45 AM

The Intel Celeron CPU should be a processor that offers respectable performance at a reasonable price, be cool running and require only modest accessory hardware to perform well "ie sdram".

The best Celeron that Intel ever made that had the potential for all I have stated was the Tualatin which was sadly released too late to make much of a mark.
May 13, 2003 11:24:19 AM

You have hit the nail right on the head what what you say there. The Tualatin celeron are what the celeron should stand for. And the P4 celeron just isnt it.
AREA_51

May 13, 2003 11:35:53 AM

the flaw I see in your logic is the assumption to upgrade.

If someone is going to be satisfied with a celeron, then they will not need to upgrade to some ultra powerful P4 or anything like that untill quite a few market revisions have come to pass. I.E. when they upgrade, the P4 won't be the most cost effective or wise decision.

Now, The Athlon will last them longer as it performs better than the Celeron, at any cost- additionally Athlon chipsets typically don't cost as much as Intel.

So basically, the celeron's place in the market, as far as I can see, is for those who lack good judgement for present and future.

Additionally, A P4 at the same price as the celeron will outperform it.

Athlon XP 1600+, MSI K7T PRO2 RU (POS), 2x256 MB CRUCIAL PC2100 CL2.5 memory, Asus V6800 DDR Delux (GF 256) video card, 6.4GB+27GB WD HD, 40GB IBM HD (all 7200RPM). My computer is an acronym
May 13, 2003 3:14:19 PM

I'd say a 1.3GHz Tualatin using only sdram would hold its own well against a 2.0GHz P4 Celeron using DDR memory in most benchmarks. And definitely so if both were using sdram!
!