Frank627

Distinguished
May 10, 2003
Could anyone please tell me which CPU is faster? Athlon XP 2200 or Celeron 2.2 GHz? Could you also explain why?

Are they okay if I don't have much budget and I am thinking about overclocking them?

Thanks for showing me all the need to knows

ipruul

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2002
athlon xp 2200 should be faster than cel 2,2 GHz. Newer celerons don't have much L1 cache (128kb) so that's why the Athlon is better.
Edit: if you don't have much budget, then you should buy Athlon xp 1700 b. I'm not sure which ones are most overclockable, but some have oc'd their 1700+ to 2700+

survive to die another day<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ipruul on 05/10/03 04:14 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

FO_SHO

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003
Athlon for sure. Celeron does less work per clock cycle, has less cache and etc, etc...

If you plan to overclock, I recomend the 1700 JIUHB @ like excaliber.com and they are guarenteed overclock of 2Ghz. The 2100 XP is also a good overclock CPU as well.

These steppings are good. 0302 ~ 0310
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by fo_sho on 05/10/03 04:17 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
The XP2200 is gonna wup the celeron2.2's backside!

The more accurate comparison would be between a Duron 1300 and the celeron.

But still, the Celeron is a very respectable CPU... they are rock stable, run nice and cool, fast enough for most applications and cheap enough to put in econo-boxes.

---><font color=green>It ain't better if it don't work</font color=green><---

vk2amv

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
The 2200+ Athlon could whoop a celeron running at approx 3.5Gighz let alone a 2.2Gighz celeron. It is because the P4 celeron just straight out sucks. It is a piece of garbage. As teq said you are looking at a Duron 1.3gighz or an old Athlon 1Gighz to compare to the celeron 2.2gighz. Stay away from the P4 celeron`s at all costs.
AREA_51

'It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames'

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
STAY AWAY from P4 based Celerons

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new"> My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new"> My Rig</A></b>

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
That is simply not reasonable. The celeron is a perfectly good CPU for anyone looking to do general office work or homeowner type stuff.

dhlucke

Polypheme
At least $83 for a Celeron 2.2 Ghz.

It stands no chance against anything in the same price range by AMD.

<font color=green>Everyone should be like the Dutch. They're perfect.</font color=green>

vk2amv

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
As Quetzacoatl said why is an Athlon 2200+ which ios cheaper and MUCH faster not more reasonable? What is it with you and your love of the P4 based celerons?
AREA_51

'It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames'

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
An AXP 1700+ (only $42) not worse than a Celeron 2.2 GHz in office work

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new"> My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new"> My Rig</A></b>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hehehehehe

ASSUMING they are the same price, the XP2200+ wins 95% of the time.

The only time the celleron 2.2 wins is with PURE Mhz related Apps... and the number of those people run on a regular basis is...err... zip? nada? nill?

Put simply the celleron 2.2 lacks bandwidth. partially due to the substandard SDRAM/DDR platform, mostly due to the significant lack of L2 cache it has. It <b>REALLY</b> strangles performance, to the effect that an overclocked 3Ghz celleron can get beaten by a XP1600+ in games. Thats a 1500Mhz difference.

<b>Melb_angel = THGC's <i>INNOCENT</i> Angel</b> :smile:
<A HREF="http://www.picturetrail.com/master_poobaa" target="_new">PooBaa's Pics!</A>

bronibbear

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2001
An amusing story is the guy who lives next door to me and is an Intel zealot built a Celeron 2.0ghz for someone recently and used sdram of all things (we all know how shitfully a P4 runs with sdram let alone a Celeron)! I was running a 1600+ Athlon XP in my rig at the time when he knocked on my door smugly saying "I've just built the fastest PC you'll have seen yet!" I said I'd bring my rig over and run some games and benchmarks to compare them. He replied "I wouldn't bother mate as your’s is only a 1600 well not even that 1400 or something isn’t it if you disregard AMD's Bullshit ratings”.

Anyway he soon bit his tongue after running the games and benchmarks on the two computers. The games particularly showed the Celeron's poor performance and were quite jerky at higher resolutions where as my AXP ran them as smoothly as anything! Both rigs were running equivalent video cards.

I must say although I knew my rig would beat the Celeron I was shocked at how poor the Celeron really was. I put it down to the sdram as I've heard that the lack of bandwidth severely affects P4 and P4 based Celerons already inefficient design. Obviously anyone out there who insists on having a P4/Celeron invest in at least Dual DDR or Rambus Memory!

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
why do you mistake rational thought for a sign of an intel fan boy. since when does thought have anything to do with being a fan boy?

<font color=red> black </font color=red> <font color=green> white </font color=green> <font color=blue> yellow </font color=blue> <font color=orange> purple </font color=orange> <font color=black> red </font color=black> <font color=yellow> green </font color=yellow> <font color=purple> blue </font color=purple>

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
Please... Not this bullsmut again!

It's interesting how conveniently he's overlooked the part of this where I explained that the celeron is going to get whupped by a Duron.

Last time he blind eyed himself to the little matter that while I prefer selling Intel into the SOHO market I deal with, I use AMD in my own personal machines.

Oh well... I guess there are twits everywhere...

vk2amv

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
I never said anywhere in this thread he was a fanboy. I asked him why he loves P4 celerons so much.
AREA_51

vk2amv

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
Because they are a rip off. Here in Australia for the same price as a P4 celeron 1.7Gighz you can get an Athlon 1800+ which will absolutly burn down the celeron and piss on the ashes. And for the same price of a celeron 2.4Gighz you can get an Athlon 2500+. Or for just a little more than the 2.4Gighz Celeron you can get a 1.8Gighz P4 which will still kill the celeron. I just dislike P4 celerons because anyone who is convinced to buy one is just straight out getting ripped off. They are getting a far inferiour product for a superiour product price. I have had the misfourtune to service a few P4 2gighz celeron based machines and in my experiance they might be able to hold their own to a 1Gighz Athlon in a few tests and in something constant and predictable but the general feel of the machine is sluggish compared to the Athlon. It takes a bit longer to open IE on the celeron or the Athlon opens explorer just a bit faster. That is where the P4 celeron really shows how it rips people off. The only good celeron is the old P2 and P3 based celeron. At least they wernt such a royal rip off.
AREA_51

vk2amv

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
Ok when did I overlook what you said. (A duron 1.3Gighz will kill a celeron 2.2Gighz) I did the opposite and agreed with you on that one. And so what you use AMD in your personal machines. I never disputed that fact nor did I ignore it. I use intel in one of my personal machines. It doesnt mean anything. You seem to just want to get rid of the last shred of recpect you have left on this forum dont you. I will admit your behaviour has improved greatly in the past week or 2. But you are starting to go back to your old mode. It is a real pity that no one actively moderates these forums.
AREA_51

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Ill moderate. Ive been here allmost the longest. And honesty the flame wars here are plae shadows of what they were in the past.
Now those were marshmellow cookin goodness.

<b>Melb_angel = THGC's <i>INNOCENT</i> Angel</b> :smile:
<A HREF="http://www.picturetrail.com/master_poobaa" target="_new">PooBaa's Pics!</A>

vk2amv

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2002
Yes. I agree that we have only had very light flame wars. At least in my time here. I have seen some flame wars on another forum that are so bad that to look in from an outside observer`s point of view they are just straight out funny. It got so bad thay started a folder in the forum specificaly for flame wars. We flame anything and everything in there. Anything from AMD and Intel to pollies to what you had for breakfast. :) But anyway I would vote you as a moderator. Anyone else want to vote? I know fredi is officialy the modorater but we need a moderator that actively participates in the community and follows everything that is going on.
AREA_51

Teq

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
CPUs are pieces of machinery. They are designed to do a certain job. I neither love nor hate any of them. I just use the ones that will get the best results in a given situation.