Sign in with
Your question

Choosing gaming/ergonomic monitor

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
March 7, 2010 4:46:17 PM

Hello guys!

I am seeking your advice. I have started working with some statistical software recently and found out that my laptop's display is just not comfortable and big enough anymore. So I plan to get myself a new monitor and a computer soon. Unfortunately, I have little clue about monitors and especially about new offers. I will do some Web, programming, gaming and movies. So what I need is following:

- about 20-23 inch big;
- FullHD, I guess (won't 1680x1080 be too little for a 22"?);
- DVI;

What would be also really good to have (from high2low priority):
- Height-adjustment, tilt and so on (that's what makes my search so much more difficult);
- HDMI;
- USB-hub;
- Microphone;
- Web-camera;
- TV-Tuner;

Budget: well, not abouve 500 bucks.

So far the best match is http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/produ... , but it seems kinda old and with funny resolution.

Do you know any models like that? Is anything cool coming out soon, so that it would be betterto wait? Should I get a 3D monitor?

Thnx.
March 7, 2010 5:03:33 PM

hmmm your basically wanting a tv, i dont know any monitors with a mic and webcam built in but i havent really researched it. looked on new egg for a 23' monitor with a tv tuner didnt see any with a mic or cam either. maybe you should buy the mic and webcam separate mics can be bought for pretty cheap these days webcams can run you from like 30 and up for the good ones. if you didnt want the tv-tuner in there and the mic and cam there would be lots of options for you

and the res for a 22' thats about right imo small screens 20-23 shouldnt be fullhd although u can get them. with such a small screen you wouldnt be able to notice the difference between 720p and 1080p.
March 7, 2010 7:29:50 PM

Well, I have named the perfect option for me, but I even doubt that one exists. After all I can live without HDMI, mic, camera and TV-tuner, but I do need flexibility. I have found another option that interests me a lot:

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSharp-2009W-display-wid... Could anyone, please, tell me whether it is going to be a good monitor for multitasking (Web/gaming)? The definition of 1680x1080 is alrigt for a 20" screen?
March 7, 2010 10:05:45 PM

anatorax said:
Well, I have named the perfect option for me, but I even doubt that one exists. After all I can live without HDMI, mic, camera and TV-tuner, but I do need flexibility. I have found another option that interests me a lot:

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSharp-2009W-display-wid... Could anyone, please, tell me whether it is going to be a good monitor for multitasking (Web/gaming)? The definition of 1680x1080 is alrigt for a 20" screen?

that looks to be a decent monitor 5ms is right on the edge of what you want for a gaming monitor so it should be ok. the 1680-1080 res is right on par with 20' screens, the 2000:1 Dynamic Contrast is ok a lot of monitors only offer 1000:1

im assuming its a TN panel since it doesnt say im not a stickler for fine details and such so a TN panel is ok by me but if you ask other people here they'll tell you to shy away from them, but i myself see no big difference in quality.

i think you should go to your local electronics store look at the options they have there and decide since you can tell the difference in quality in person... or maybe see if your local electronics store has that monitor in stock and go take a look.
!