Dell & Norton 2005

bill

There are some rumblings about compatibility problems with Dell
machines running XP and Norton 2005. I googled this but could get it
in the right format to get a coherent answer.

Anyone know of this problem?

"Bill" <bnospamgross@nospam.airmail.net> wrote in message
> There are some rumblings about compatibility problems with Dell
> machines running XP and Norton 2005. I googled this but could get it
> in the right format to get a coherent answer.
>
> Anyone know of this problem?

That's news to me.

I will say that your system needs sufficient RAM and CPU speed to carry the
weight of such a large utility.

As an example, I installed NAV05 on my 3yr old 2.0GHz/512mb system and it
made the system run like a pig. (Translation: it slowed my machine down to a
point beyond my level of tolerance.)

Great program though, and effective for what it's designed to do. Further, I
know of no incompatibility with Dell's XP systems.

Stew

Bill wrote:
> There are some rumblings about compatibility problems with Dell
> machines running XP and Norton 2005. I googled this but could get it
> in the right format to get a coherent answer.

Not certain what "Norton 2005" is, but I'm running my Dim 4550 & Dim
8400 with XP Pro & NAV 2005 - no problems.

Sparky Singer <Sparky@moon.sun.org> wrote:

>Bill wrote:

>> There are some rumblings about compatibility problems with Dell
>> machines running XP and Norton 2005. I googled this but could get it
>> in the right format to get a coherent answer.

>Not certain what "Norton 2005" is, but I'm running my Dim 4550 & Dim
>8400 with XP Pro & NAV 2005 - no problems.

Odds are he's talking that, or Norton Internet Security 2005, or
Norton System Works 2005. Those rumblings he is hearing
typically arise from people who are not as familiar with
firewalls, AV programs, and "system utilities" programs [whether
Norton's or Mcafee's, or whoever's] and how to set them up to
work with the specific applications that have to work with their
firewall, AV function, and "system utilities" as they, perhaps,
should be. Accordingly, when they have a problem it is ipso
facto due to their computer model,and the ever-popular lightning
rod, WinXP - especially with SP2. It certainly /can't/ be
because they didn't take the time to configure NAV and their
email client to work together.

I have been running Norton stuff on my computers since the BADD
when it really /was/ Peter Norton doing them and have never had
problem one with any of them; from an 8088 running under MS-DOS
to my present Dells running under XPPro SP2.
--
OJ III

In article <7b9j319srcufioqohqj3f9ksvqjsq6gg2j@4ax.com>,
oj3usmc@yahoo.com (Ogden Johnson III) says...

> Accordingly, when they have a problem it is ipso
> facto due to their computer model,and the ever-popular lightning
> rod, WinXP - especially with SP2. It certainly /can't/ be
> because they didn't take the time to configure NAV and their
> email client to work together.

I have been running System Works 2005 with XP Home SP 2 and Zone Alarm
Pro for several months now - ever since my copy of NSW 2004 expired.
The upgrade was a no-brainer, because with the rebate and discount, it
was nearly free, only $4.95 net. No particular problems, and I don't
remember any problems with installation or configuration.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc