How to map a network drive to a local drive?

Tags:
  • Network Drive
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
August 16, 2005 6:04:50 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

Why cant I remap a network drive to a local share once the network is
down?

....Our work PCs are set up to get some things (ie Notes ID files,
properties files etc) from our own portion of a network drive which is
mapped as H:. This makes it a bit easier if we log onto someone elses
PC as we can still access our own files etc.

Where it falls down is when the laptop is not connected to the network
as Notes wont start and various other apps fail as they cant see the H
drive.

To overcome this I have written a simple script to xcopy and changed H
drive files over to a local dir on the laptop and then remap the H
drive to point to this local dir. Then I can unplug the network and
still use all my apps that need the H drive.

But It seems impossible to map a drive even to a local resource if a
network is not present - ie if I turn the laptop on when not connected
and then try to map to the local share.

Do I need to do something to my network connectors to beable to do
this?

Thanks

David Bevan
http://www.davidbevan.co.uk

More about : map network drive local drive

August 16, 2005 1:13:02 PM

On 16 Aug 2005 02:04:50 -0700, junk1@davidbevan.co.uk wrote:

>Why cant I remap a network drive to a local share once the network is
>down?
>

>...Our work PCs are set up to get some things (ie Notes ID files,
>properties files etc) from our own portion of a network drive which is
>mapped as H:. This makes it a bit easier if we log onto someone elses
>PC as we can still access our own files etc.
>
>Where it falls down is when the laptop is not connected to the network
>as Notes wont start and various other apps fail as they cant see the H
>drive.
>
>To overcome this I have written a simple script to xcopy and changed H
>drive files over to a local dir on the laptop and then remap the H
>drive to point to this local dir. Then I can unplug the network and
>still use all my apps that need the H drive.
>
>But It seems impossible to map a drive even to a local resource if a
>network is not present - ie if I turn the laptop on when not connected
>and then try to map to the local share.
>
>Do I need to do something to my network connectors to beable to do
>this?
>
>Thanks
>
>David Bevan
>http://www.davidbevan.co.uk

David,

Normally, the network stack (TCP/IP) will not load if there's nothing connected
to the network adapter. You can disable this behaviour if you wish.
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/239924&gt;

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

The subst command would be more appropriate for the local mapping. Type
subst /? in a cmd prompt for syntax.
--

<junk1@davidbevan.co.uk> wrote in message
> Why cant I remap a network drive to a local share once the network is
> down?
>

> ...Our work PCs are set up to get some things (ie Notes ID files,
> properties files etc) from our own portion of a network drive which is
> mapped as H:. This makes it a bit easier if we log onto someone elses
> PC as we can still access our own files etc.
>
> Where it falls down is when the laptop is not connected to the network
> as Notes wont start and various other apps fail as they cant see the H
> drive.
>
> To overcome this I have written a simple script to xcopy and changed H
> drive files over to a local dir on the laptop and then remap the H
> drive to point to this local dir. Then I can unplug the network and
> still use all my apps that need the H drive.
>
> But It seems impossible to map a drive even to a local resource if a
> network is not present - ie if I turn the laptop on when not connected
> and then try to map to the local share.
>
> Do I need to do something to my network connectors to beable to do
> this?
>
> Thanks
>
> David Bevan
> http://www.davidbevan.co.uk

Anonymous
August 18, 2005 5:35:43 AM

"" wrote:
> Why cant I remap a network drive to a local share once the
> network is
> down?
>

> ....Our work PCs are set up to get some things (ie Notes ID
> files,
> properties files etc) from our own portion of a network drive
> which is
> mapped as H:. This makes it a bit easier if we log onto
> someone elses
> PC as we can still access our own files etc.
>
> Where it falls down is when the laptop is not connected to the
> network
> as Notes wont start and various other apps fail as they cant
> see the H
> drive.
>
> To overcome this I have written a simple script to xcopy and
> changed H
> drive files over to a local dir on the laptop and then remap
> the H
> drive to point to this local dir. Then I can unplug the
> network and
> still use all my apps that need the H drive.
>
> But It seems impossible to map a drive even to a local
> resource if a
> network is not present - ie if I turn the laptop on when not
> connected
> and then try to map to the local share.
>
> Do I need to do something to my network connectors to beable
> to do
> this?
>
> Thanks
>
> David Bevan
> http://www.davidbevan.co.uk

Try to use the stoneage command
SUBST H: C:YOUR_XCOPY_FOLDER
in a CMD window.

When you want to use the network version of H:,
type (or batch script)
SUBST H: /D
NET USE H: \servershare

best regards,