Closed

Best Registry Cleaner?

Last response: in Computer Brands
April 21, 2004 1:14:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

My computer has been in constant use for over 3 years. I know that the
registry **has** to be bloated.

I have read that some registry cleaners end up deleted needed entries, and
you end up with unwanted problems. At the same time, I have read that the
current crop of registry cleaners are better at doing their intended job of
routing out duplicated and outdated entries. Yet, I don't know which one
is really considered as being the "best."

I know that I should first back up the registry before running the utility,
and also to create a fresh restore point just prior to the sweep.

Main Question-- which of the registry cleaners do YOU think is best ??

Thanks for any further input and ideas !!

--James--

More about : registry cleaner

Anonymous
April 21, 2004 4:11:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

I like the reg cleaner in jv16 Power Tools. The new version is a $$$ app,
however, the older, free version is still available through some download
sites. I like this particular app because it will tell you "why" it sees a
particular entry as invalid or no longer needed and allows you to decide.
Whatever app you decide on, just make sure it backs up whatever is removed,
just in case.
Heirloom, old and keeps it clean

"James Nipper" <jnipper@nospam.fdn.com> wrote in message

> My computer has been in constant use for over 3 years. I know that the
> registry **has** to be bloated.
>
> I have read that some registry cleaners end up deleted needed entries, and
> you end up with unwanted problems. At the same time, I have read that
the
> current crop of registry cleaners are better at doing their intended job
of
> routing out duplicated and outdated entries. Yet, I don't know which one
> is really considered as being the "best."
>
> I know that I should first back up the registry before running the
utility,
> and also to create a fresh restore point just prior to the sweep.
>
> Main Question-- which of the registry cleaners do YOU think is best
??

> Thanks for any further input and ideas !!
>

> --James--

Anonymous
April 21, 2004 5:04:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp (More info?)

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 21:14:06 -0400, "James Nipper"
<jnipper@nospam.fdn.com> wrote:

>Main Question-- which of the registry cleaners do YOU think is best ??

I, too, really like the registry cleaner included in jv16 Power Tools.
--
Rich Cervenka
Chicago, Illinois, USA

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 00:11:30 -0500, "heirloom"
<heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote:

>I like the reg cleaner in jv16 Power Tools. The new version is a $$$ app,
>however, the older, free version is still available through some download
>sites. I like this particular app because it will tell you "why" it sees a
>particular entry as invalid or no longer needed and allows you to decide.
>Whatever app you decide on, just make sure it backs up whatever is removed,
>just in case.

I agree on jv16 and I'm still using the older version. The only
problem I've had is it tags a couple of Roxio, V-6 ECDC entries, that
if you delete can cause you problems, but they are easy to spot in the
list the program presents.

> Heirloom, old and keeps it clean
>
>"James Nipper" <jnipper@nospam.fdn.com> wrote in message
>>

>> My computer has been in constant use for over 3 years. I know that the
>> registry **has** to be bloated.
>>
>> I have read that some registry cleaners end up deleted needed entries, and
>> you end up with unwanted problems. At the same time, I have read that
>the
>> current crop of registry cleaners are better at doing their intended job
>of
>> routing out duplicated and outdated entries. Yet, I don't know which one
>> is really considered as being the "best."
>>
>> I know that I should first back up the registry before running the
>utility,
>> and also to create a fresh restore point just prior to the sweep.
>>
>> Main Question-- which of the registry cleaners do YOU think is best
>??
>>
>> Thanks for any further input and ideas !!
>>

>> --James--

Anonymous
April 21, 2004 11:54:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

> Main Question-- which of the registry cleaners do YOU think is best ??

I quite like easycleaner - i`ve used it for a number of years across
several machines without a problem. Its also free.

It may not be as effective as some commercial variants but i`ve had no
need to do a cross-comparison.

April 21, 2004 3:13:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

System Mechanic from www.iolo.com.

It's a full 30 day free trial, search for reviews always seem to do well.
Anonymous
April 21, 2004 3:29:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

"James Nipper" <jnipper@nospam.fdn.com> wrote:

>My computer has been in constant use for over 3 years. I know that the
>registry **has** to be bloated.

[Snips]

>Main Question-- which of the registry cleaners do YOU think is best ??

Add me to the list of JV16 Power Tool fans. Came to it after it
became proware, but at $29.95 it was worth it, IMHO.

Just a couple of weeks ago I uninstalled a heavy-duty graphics
program [sort of a CorelDraw on steroids]. Inconveniently, it
left ~1500 registry entries behind. That they were in sets of
six eased recognition some, and using JV16 PT made short work of
cleaning up the detritus. It doesn't hold the user's hand as
much as some reg cleaners, but as another poster noted, it
provides enough info on a given entry to permit you to separate
out the no-brainer deletions from the "did I really get rid of
what put that entry in there" ones that require a bit more
caution. It helps if you use it regularly, and particularly
after you have uninstalled a program, when the chance of
recognition of left-over entries is high. ;->
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo address is burned before reading.

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

OJ - How much faster does your computer run now that you've eliminated those
1,500 registry entries?

Rocky

"Ogden Johnson III" <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "James Nipper" <jnipper@nospam.fdn.com> wrote:
>
> >My computer has been in constant use for over 3 years. I know that the
> >registry **has** to be bloated.
>
> [Snips]
>
> >Main Question-- which of the registry cleaners do YOU think is best
??

> Add me to the list of JV16 Power Tool fans. Came to it after it
> became proware, but at $29.95 it was worth it, IMHO.
>
> Just a couple of weeks ago I uninstalled a heavy-duty graphics
> program [sort of a CorelDraw on steroids]. Inconveniently, it
> left ~1500 registry entries behind. That they were in sets of
> six eased recognition some, and using JV16 PT made short work of
> cleaning up the detritus. It doesn't hold the user's hand as
> much as some reg cleaners, but as another poster noted, it
> provides enough info on a given entry to permit you to separate
> out the no-brainer deletions from the "did I really get rid of
> what put that entry in there" ones that require a bit more
> caution. It helps if you use it regularly, and particularly
> after you have uninstalled a program, when the chance of
> recognition of left-over entries is high. ;->
> --
> OJ III
> [Email sent to Yahoo address is burned before reading.
> Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast.]
Anonymous
April 21, 2004 7:52:39 PM

Ogden Johnson III wrote:

> "James Nipper" <jnipper@nospam.fdn.com> wrote:
>
> >My computer has been in constant use for over 3 years. I know that the
> >registry **has** to be bloated.
>
> [Snips]
>
> >Main Question-- which of the registry cleaners do YOU think is best ??
>
> Add me to the list of JV16 Power Tool fans. Came to it after it
> became proware, but at $29.95 it was worth it, IMHO.

Another option is RegSupreme, from the same company (http://www.jv16.org/).

"Contains only the registry cleaning engine from jv16 PowerTools."

Larry
Anonymous
April 21, 2004 9:01:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Check out Karen's Power Tools (www.karenware.com) for a free one called
Registry Pruner. Also other good programs.

BB

---
April 21, 2004 9:26:22 PM

Blind Broccoli wrote:

> Check out Karen's Power Tools (www.karenware.com) for a free one called
> Registry Pruner. Also other good programs.

Being that RP was written in 2000, is it usable with XP?

Larry
Anonymous
April 21, 2004 9:26:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Thanks for all the responses !! What about Registry Mechanic?

After I posted, I saw a good review on it. Anyone have experience with it
??

--James--
Anonymous
April 21, 2004 9:37:02 PM

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 16:42:27 -0400, "James Nipper"
<jnipper@nospam.fdn.com> wrote:

>Thanks for all the responses !! What about Registry Mechanic?

Also, what about the registry cleaner that comes with V-Com Fix-It
5.0?

George
gearlnospamno@nospamcomcast.net
Anonymous
April 21, 2004 11:56:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Yes, I've been using Registry Mechanic for quite a while, and its found and
repaired multiple registry probs.
Very easy to use too

> Thanks for all the responses !! What about Registry Mechanic?
>

> After I posted, I saw a good review on it. Anyone have experience with
it
> ??
>

> --James--

Anonymous
April 22, 2004 4:54:33 AM

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 16:42:27 -0400, "James Nipper"
<jnipper@nospam.fdn.com> wrote:

>Thanks for all the responses !! What about Registry Mechanic?

I was happy with Registry Mechanic until I tried jv16 Power Tools.
jv16 is *much* better.
--
Rich Cervenka
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Desktop: Dell Dimension XPS T550
Notebook: Dell Inspiron 8600
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on both
Anonymous
April 22, 2004 10:46:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 11:29:36 -0400, Ogden Johnson III
<oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote:

>"James Nipper" <jnipper@nospam.fdn.com> wrote:
>
>>My computer has been in constant use for over 3 years. I know that the
>>registry **has** to be bloated.
>
>[Snips]
>
>>Main Question-- which of the registry cleaners do YOU think is best ??
>
>Add me to the list of JV16 Power Tool fans. Came to it after it
>became proware, but at $29.95 it was worth it, IMHO.
>
>Just a couple of weeks ago I uninstalled a heavy-duty graphics
>program [sort of a CorelDraw on steroids]. Inconveniently, it
>left ~1500 registry entries behind. That they were in sets of
>six eased recognition some, and using JV16 PT made short work of
>cleaning up the detritus. It doesn't hold the user's hand as
>much as some reg cleaners, but as another poster noted, it
>provides enough info on a given entry to permit you to separate
>out the no-brainer deletions from the "did I really get rid of
>what put that entry in there" ones that require a bit more
>caution. It helps if you use it regularly, and particularly
>after you have uninstalled a program, when the chance of
>recognition of left-over entries is high. ;->

Adding to this, I'd suggest users of jv16 take advantage of the
'uninstall' feature for programs that many just ignore.
Anonymous
April 22, 2004 1:04:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Good point, in fact I think that was brought up earlier. Someone mentioned
its' effective removal of the 'detritus' left behind by most apps
uninstallers.
Hierloom, old and use it

"E. Barry Bruyea" <snow@drift.ca> wrote in message
> On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 11:29:36 -0400, Ogden Johnson III
> <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >"James Nipper" <jnipper@nospam.fdn.com> wrote:
> >
> >>My computer has been in constant use for over 3 years. I know that the
> >>registry **has** to be bloated.
> >
> >[Snips]
> >
> >>Main Question-- which of the registry cleaners do YOU think is best
??

> >Add me to the list of JV16 Power Tool fans. Came to it after it
> >became proware, but at $29.95 it was worth it, IMHO.
> >
> >Just a couple of weeks ago I uninstalled a heavy-duty graphics
> >program [sort of a CorelDraw on steroids]. Inconveniently, it
> >left ~1500 registry entries behind. That they were in sets of
> >six eased recognition some, and using JV16 PT made short work of
> >cleaning up the detritus. It doesn't hold the user's hand as
> >much as some reg cleaners, but as another poster noted, it
> >provides enough info on a given entry to permit you to separate
> >out the no-brainer deletions from the "did I really get rid of
> >what put that entry in there" ones that require a bit more
> >caution. It helps if you use it regularly, and particularly
> >after you have uninstalled a program, when the chance of
> >recognition of left-over entries is high. ;->
>

> Adding to this, I'd suggest users of jv16 take advantage of the
> 'uninstall' feature for programs that many just ignore.

Anonymous
April 22, 2004 2:18:51 PM

"Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote:

>OJ - How much faster does your computer run now that you've eliminated those
>1,500 registry entries?

Not noticeably, but then I don't do things that would cause me to
notice the incremental speed increase that might have been
produced. In fact, the program I got /rid/ of that left the
entries was probably the one program in which I might have
noticed a speed improvement, when I set it to processing
something. ;->
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo address is burned before reading.
April 22, 2004 6:21:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

And how does this cleaning of 'detritus' improve your computer's
performance? Does it start faster, for example, or does it run more
dependably? Is your Internet connection speedier or your does your computer
run cooler?

Can you supply the URL of a reputable benchmark test that compares
before-and-after results of various registry cleaners on significant markers
of computer performance?

Rocky

"heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
news:o 5PKIKHKEHA.2452@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Good point, in fact I think that was brought up earlier. Someone
mentioned
> its' effective removal of the 'detritus' left behind by most apps
> uninstallers.
> Hierloom, old and use it
>
> "E. Barry Bruyea" <snow@drift.ca> wrote in message
> > On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 11:29:36 -0400, Ogden Johnson III
> > <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > >[Snips]

> ??
> > >
> > >Add me to the list of JV16 Power Tool fans. Came to it after it
> > >became proware, but at $29.95 it was worth it, IMHO.
> > >
> > >Just a couple of weeks ago I uninstalled a heavy-duty graphics
> > >program [sort of a CorelDraw on steroids]. Inconveniently, it
> > >left ~1500 registry entries behind. That they were in sets of
> > >six eased recognition some, and using JV16 PT made short work of
> > >cleaning up the detritus. It doesn't hold the user's hand as
> > >much as some reg cleaners, but as another poster noted, it
> > >provides enough info on a given entry to permit you to separate
> > >out the no-brainer deletions from the "did I really get rid of
> > >what put that entry in there" ones that require a bit more
> > >caution. It helps if you use it regularly, and particularly
> > >after you have uninstalled a program, when the chance of
> > >recognition of left-over entries is high. ;->
> >

> > Adding to this, I'd suggest users of jv16 take advantage of the
> > 'uninstall' feature for programs that many just ignore.

April 22, 2004 8:32:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

I like SystemSuite 5.0. It not only cleans up your registry, it defrags it
too. Get it at www.v-com.com It's not free but worth every penny, and, yes,
after running the registry cleaner and defragging will make your computer
run noticeably faster, especially if your registry is full of cross links
and dead end paths.

Alias

"Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote

> And how does this cleaning of 'detritus' improve your computer's
> performance? Does it start faster, for example, or does it run more
> dependably? Is your Internet connection speedier or your does your
computer
> run cooler?
>
> Can you supply the URL of a reputable benchmark test that compares
> before-and-after results of various registry cleaners on significant
markers
> of computer performance?
>
> Rocky
>
> "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
> news:o 5PKIKHKEHA.2452@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > Good point, in fact I think that was brought up earlier. Someone
> mentioned
> > its' effective removal of the 'detritus' left behind by most apps
> > uninstallers.
> > Hierloom, old and use it
> >
> > "E. Barry Bruyea" <snow@drift.ca> wrote in message

> the

> best
> > ??

> > > Adding to this, I'd suggest users of jv16 take advantage of the
> > > 'uninstall' feature for programs that many just ignore.

Anonymous
April 22, 2004 8:32:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

How do "cross links and dead end paths" in the registry make a computer run
slower? Do they, for example, soak up CPU time?

Is it just possible that your perception of "noticeably faster" performance
is influenced by all the myth and hype surrounding tools that have no real
value for Windows XP, but give the user the illusion that they're somehow
'doing something' for their computer?

Rocky

"Alias" <maskedandanonymous@aka.com> wrote in message
> I like SystemSuite 5.0. It not only cleans up your registry, it defrags it
> too. Get it at www.v-com.com It's not free but worth every penny, and,
yes,
> after running the registry cleaner and defragging will make your computer
> run noticeably faster, especially if your registry is full of cross links
> and dead end paths.
>
> Alias
>
> "Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote
>
> > And how does this cleaning of 'detritus' improve your computer's
> > performance? Does it start faster, for example, or does it run more
> > dependably? Is your Internet connection speedier or your does your
> computer
> > run cooler?
> >
> > Can you supply the URL of a reputable benchmark test that compares
> > before-and-after results of various registry cleaners on significant
> markers
> > of computer performance?
> >
> > Rocky
> >
> > "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
> > news:o 5PKIKHKEHA.2452@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > > Good point, in fact I think that was brought up earlier. Someone
> > mentioned
> > > its' effective removal of the 'detritus' left behind by most apps
> > > uninstallers.
> > > Hierloom, old and use it
> > >
> > > "E. Barry Bruyea" <snow@drift.ca> wrote in message

> > the

> > best
> > > ??

April 22, 2004 9:09:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

"Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote

> How do "cross links and dead end paths" in the registry make a computer
run
> slower? Do they, for example, soak up CPU time?
>
> Is it just possible that your perception of "noticeably faster"
performance
> is influenced by all the myth and hype surrounding tools that have no real
> value for Windows XP, but give the user the illusion that they're somehow
> 'doing something' for their computer?
>
> Rocky

I am not interested in proving anything to you. I don't have Windows XP and,
son, this isn't a Windows XP newsgroup. If you don't know how cross links
and dead end paths slow down your computer, do a search on www.google.com
and educate yourself.

Alias

> "Alias" <maskedandanonymous@aka.com> wrote in message
> > I like SystemSuite 5.0. It not only cleans up your registry, it defrags
it
> > too. Get it at www.v-com.com It's not free but worth every penny, and,
> yes,
> > after running the registry cleaner and defragging will make your
computer
> > run noticeably faster, especially if your registry is full of cross
links
> > and dead end paths.
> >
> > Alias
> >
> > "Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote
> >
> > > And how does this cleaning of 'detritus' improve your computer's
> > > performance? Does it start faster, for example, or does it run more
> > > dependably? Is your Internet connection speedier or your does your
> > computer
> > > run cooler?
> > >
> > > Can you supply the URL of a reputable benchmark test that compares
> > > before-and-after results of various registry cleaners on significant
> > markers
> > > of computer performance?
> > >
> > > Rocky
> > >
> > > "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
> > > news:o 5PKIKHKEHA.2452@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > > mentioned

> that
> > > the

> is
> > > best

Anonymous
April 22, 2004 9:22:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

"Alias" <maskedandanonymous@aka.com> wrote in message
> I like SystemSuite 5.0. It not only cleans up your registry, it defrags it

HUH

> too. Get it at www.v-com.com It's not free but worth every penny, and,
yes,
> after running the registry cleaner and defragging will make your computer
> run noticeably faster, especially if your registry is full of cross links
> and dead end paths.
>
> Alias
>
> "Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote
>
> > And how does this cleaning of 'detritus' improve your computer's
> > performance? Does it start faster, for example, or does it run more
> > dependably? Is your Internet connection speedier or your does your
> computer
> > run cooler?
> >
> > Can you supply the URL of a reputable benchmark test that compares
> > before-and-after results of various registry cleaners on significant
> markers
> > of computer performance?
> >
> > Rocky
> >
> > "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
> > news:o 5PKIKHKEHA.2452@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > > Good point, in fact I think that was brought up earlier. Someone
> > mentioned
> > > its' effective removal of the 'detritus' left behind by most apps
> > > uninstallers.
> > > Hierloom, old and use it
> > >
> > > "E. Barry Bruyea" <snow@drift.ca> wrote in message

> > the

> > best
> > > ??

April 22, 2004 10:45:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 00:11:30 -0500, "heirloom"
<heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote:

>I like the reg cleaner in jv16 Power Tools. The new version is a $$$ app,
>however, the older, free version is still available through some download
>sites. I like this particular app because it will tell you "why" it sees a
>particular entry as invalid or no longer needed and allows you to decide.
>Whatever app you decide on, just make sure it backs up whatever is removed,
>just in case.
> Heirloom, old and keeps it clean
>
>"James Nipper" <jnipper@nospam.fdn.com> wrote in message
>>

>> My computer has been in constant use for over 3 years. I know that the
>> registry **has** to be bloated.
>>
>> I have read that some registry cleaners end up deleted needed entries, and
>> you end up with unwanted problems. At the same time, I have read that
>the
>> current crop of registry cleaners are better at doing their intended job
>of
>> routing out duplicated and outdated entries. Yet, I don't know which one
>> is really considered as being the "best."
>>
>> I know that I should first back up the registry before running the
>utility,
>> and also to create a fresh restore point just prior to the sweep.
>>
>> Main Question-- which of the registry cleaners do YOU think is best
>??
>>
>> Thanks for any further input and ideas !!
>>

>> --James--

IMHO Registry cleaners can be destructive, for the sake of saving a
few kb's I think leave it alone.

DS
April 22, 2004 11:43:33 PM

"Steve Baron - KB3MM" <SteveBaron@StarLinX.com> wrote in message

> "Alias" <maskedandanonymous@aka.com> wrote in message
> > I like SystemSuite 5.0. It not only cleans up your registry, it defrags
it

> HUH

What is it about this that you don't understand?

Alias

> > too. Get it at www.v-com.com It's not free but worth every penny, and,
> yes,
> > after running the registry cleaner and defragging will make your
computer
> > run noticeably faster, especially if your registry is full of cross
links
> > and dead end paths.
> >
> > Alias
> >
> > "Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote
> >
> > > And how does this cleaning of 'detritus' improve your computer's
> > > performance? Does it start faster, for example, or does it run more
> > > dependably? Is your Internet connection speedier or your does your
> > computer
> > > run cooler?
> > >
> > > Can you supply the URL of a reputable benchmark test that compares
> > > before-and-after results of various registry cleaners on significant
> > markers
> > > of computer performance?
> > >
> > > Rocky
> > >
> > > "heirloom" <heirloom@nospamatall.com> wrote in message
> > > news:o 5PKIKHKEHA.2452@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > > mentioned

> that
> > > the

> is
> > > best

Anonymous
April 22, 2004 11:43:34 PM

> "Steve Baron - KB3MM" <SteveBaron@StarLinX.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Alias" <maskedandanonymous@aka.com> wrote in message
> > > I like SystemSuite 5.0. It not only cleans up your registry, it
defrags
> it
> >
> > HUH
>
> What is it about this that you don't understand?
>
> Alias

<crosspost slashed>
Anonymous
April 23, 2004 12:50:32 AM

David wrote:

> IMHO Registry cleaners can be destructive, for the sake of saving a
> few kb's I think leave it alone.

Some are (based on the occasional "wth happened to my registry" post,
here), but IME, the JV16 product (RegCleaner) has caused no problems
whatsoever and helped me manually remove some pests.

Rick
Anonymous
April 23, 2004 12:59:18 AM

Alias wrote:

>>>I like SystemSuite 5.0. It not only cleans up your registry, it defrags

k, now that's a neat trick. Freeware? (says he hopefully)

Rick
Anonymous
April 23, 2004 2:29:39 AM

heirloom wrote:

> Rick,
> The Me Registry will automatically compact itself when it reaches a
> certain amount of freespace (500K, I think), however, you can run Scanreg
> /opt to compact the Registry after a major cleanup.......no exactly a
> defrag, but, it does get rid of the slack.

I wonder if it writes a new file or reuses the same clusters.

> Of course, you probably already knew all this............
> I know there are those that don't believe in any advantage to keeping the
> Reg free from useless entries........they may not hurt, but, they sure can't
> be doing any good!!!

Exactly... and I forgot to mention stuff that changes systems settings
that aren't needed anymore.

Rick
Anonymous
April 23, 2004 10:13:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 14:59:32 GMT, "Rocket J. Squirrel"
<rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote:

>How do "cross links and dead end paths" in the registry make a computer run
>slower? Do they, for example, soak up CPU time?
>
>Is it just possible that your perception of "noticeably faster" performance
>is influenced by all the myth and hype surrounding tools that have no real
>value for Windows XP, but give the user the illusion that they're somehow
>'doing something' for their computer?
>
>Rocky

Having useless entries in your registry is not helpful. As to a
measurement of speed 'before' & 'after' I can't supply you with a link
or a program that will verify the perception. But then again, you
don't know what group you're in, so I doubt your 'perception' is all
that great anyway.
Anonymous
April 23, 2004 5:32:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

"Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote:

>On the other hand, if a registry cleaner removes (or tells me to remove) as
>little as one sub-key, and it's wrong, my computer can become unstable. Am I
>going to trust someone else's judgment with the integrity of my computer?
>For a few hundred KB's (if that) of registry entries that aren't doing a
>darn thing except sitting around with nothing to do? Not on your life.
>All the above does not mean that it's never a good idea to edit your
>registry. Many times editing the registry is exactly what's needed to
>correct a problem or to access a configuration setting not available from
>the GUI. When you edit the registry in this way you have a specific goal in
>mind and you are performing specific steps. This very different from vague
>'registry cleaning.'

My "specific goal in mind" is as I learned it from IT gurus at
companies I worked for - keeping the registry cleaned of obsolete
entries so that when you /do/ have to go into the registry to fix
a problem, you don't have those obsolete entries to wade through
while finding the one you need to work on.

Yes, care is required in the selection and use of registry
cleaners. So what? Care is required in a lot of things you do
in life. I perceive benefits in doing it, regularly. You don't.
So be it.

>Want to know the secret to a speedy, rock-steady system? Got you -- that was
>a trick question, because it's no secret: Learn how to use your computer
>wisely, and how to protect yourself from the exploits that miscreants are
>trying to send you over the Internet, and your computer will purr like a
>kitten. Just like my computer. There's no substitute for knowledge, and your
>own good judgment is worth more than any registry cleaner.

Oh, geez, I'm hearing the violins, seeing the fluffy white clouds
in the azure sky, and smelling the apple pie baking in the oven
after that motherhood, God, and apple pie paean. And you
inflicted a 189 line post on three newsgroups to end up with that
as a finale? Next thing you'll be telling us is that use of
registry cleaners is unconstitutional, and that anyone who does
so should be locked up.
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo address is burned before reading.
April 23, 2004 5:37:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 05:42:12 GMT, "Rocket J. Squirrel"
<rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote:

>The registry of the NT versions of Windows is different from the registry of the
>9x versions of Windows. Furthermore, Windows XP includes many capabilities
>that are not present in the 9x versions of Windows which greatly improve
>XP's stability and efficiency.

The Win9x registry was taken from WinNT:

""The current design of the Registry was first introduced in Windows
NT to replace a proliferation of INI and setup files..." (page 10)
Windows 95 Registry Troubleshooting - Rob Tidrow

What are those capabilities in XP that are different from previous
versions?

Geo
Anonymous
April 23, 2004 9:39:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

"Oh, geez, I'm hearing the violins, seeing the fluffy white clouds in the
azure sky, and smelling the apple pie baking in the oven after that
motherhood, God, and apple pie paean."

OJ, you kill me. Rock on, man. ;-> (There I go giving away my age again.)

> "Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote:
>
> >On the other hand, if a registry cleaner removes (or tells me to remove)
as
> >little as one sub-key, and it's wrong, my computer can become unstable.
Am I
> >going to trust someone else's judgment with the integrity of my computer?
> >For a few hundred KB's (if that) of registry entries that aren't doing a
> >darn thing except sitting around with nothing to do? Not on your life.
> >All the above does not mean that it's never a good idea to edit your
> >registry. Many times editing the registry is exactly what's needed to
> >correct a problem or to access a configuration setting not available from
> >the GUI. When you edit the registry in this way you have a specific goal
in
> >mind and you are performing specific steps. This very different from
vague
> >'registry cleaning.'
>
> My "specific goal in mind" is as I learned it from IT gurus at
> companies I worked for - keeping the registry cleaned of obsolete
> entries so that when you /do/ have to go into the registry to fix
> a problem, you don't have those obsolete entries to wade through
> while finding the one you need to work on.
>
> Yes, care is required in the selection and use of registry
> cleaners. So what? Care is required in a lot of things you do
> in life. I perceive benefits in doing it, regularly. You don't.
> So be it.
>
> >Want to know the secret to a speedy, rock-steady system? Got you -- that
was
> >a trick question, because it's no secret: Learn how to use your computer
> >wisely, and how to protect yourself from the exploits that miscreants are
> >trying to send you over the Internet, and your computer will purr like a
> >kitten. Just like my computer. There's no substitute for knowledge, and
your
> >own good judgment is worth more than any registry cleaner.
>
> Oh, geez, I'm hearing the violins, seeing the fluffy white clouds
> in the azure sky, and smelling the apple pie baking in the oven
> after that motherhood, God, and apple pie paean. And you
> inflicted a 189 line post on three newsgroups to end up with that
> as a finale? Next thing you'll be telling us is that use of
> registry cleaners is unconstitutional, and that anyone who does
> so should be locked up.
> --
> OJ III
> [Email sent to Yahoo address is burned before reading.
> Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast.]
Anonymous
April 24, 2004 5:55:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

And this is why the "personal" is in "personal computing".

Each user gets to make their own decisions and live with the
consequences.

I'm not aware of any serious reports of benchmarking results of the
benefits, if noticable, of registry cleaning or compacting. I suspect
the benefits are considerably less than the general consensus regarding
defragmentation. The commercial vendors are a reasonable starting
place.
--
Jack E. Martinelli 2002-04 MVP for Win9X / DTS
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
"Robert R Kircher, Jr." <rrkircher@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Rocky,
>
> Have you ever worked with a database such as the type that the
Registry
> uses? Conceptually its not about how many bytes of data are in the
database
> its all about how efficiently that info can be retrieved from the
database.
> Orphaned branches and entries can cause performance degradation with
this
> type of database. Is the reg db large enough to suffer performance
issues?
> Well the jury's still out in my mind.
>
> With that said, I've never cleaned my Reg db and most likely won't
because I
> don't feel like cleaning up the mess if it does delete something it
> shouldn't.
>
> --
>
> Rob

<snip>
Anonymous
April 24, 2004 6:04:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Note that heirloom's remarks were clipped from

Command-Line Switches for the Registry Checker Tool
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];184023

where, unfortunately, MS librarians have not corrected the order of the
switches for scanreg, which should be

scanreg.exe /opt /fix

as discussed ad infinitum on Wed, 9 Feb 2000, in
microsoft.public.win98.performance.

Description of the Windows Registry Checker Tool (Scanreg.exe)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];183887
--
> Rick,
> The Me Registry will automatically compact itself when it
reaches a
> certain amount of freespace (500K, I think), however, you can run
Scanreg
> /opt to compact the Registry after a major cleanup.......no exactly a
> defrag, but, it does get rid of the slack.
>
> Description of Switches for Scanreg
>
> The following table lists each command-line switch and its
>
> Switch Description
------
> /backup Backs up the registry and related files
without
> displaying any prompts.
>
> /restore Displays a list of available backup files,
sorted
> by the date and time the backup was created.
>
> "/comment=<text>" Enables you to add a descriptive comment to
the
> registry backup.
>
> /fix Repairs any damaged portions of the
registry, and
> optimizes it by rebuilding it without unused
> space.
>
> /autoscan Automatically scans the registry and backs
it up
> without displaying any prompts if there is
no
> backup for that date.
>
> /scanonly Scans the registry and displays a message if
any
> errors are found. This switch does not back
up the
> registry.
>
> filename Scans the registry file specified and
displays a
> message indicating whether or not any errors
were
> found. This switch does not back up the
registry.

> /opt The /opt command-line switch causes the
> Registry Checker tool to optimize the
> registry by removing unused space.
>
> Of course, you probably already knew all this............
> I know there are those that don't believe in any advantage to keeping
the
> Reg free from useless entries........they may not hurt, but, they sure
can't
> be doing any good!!!
> Heirloom, old and keep mine clean
>

> "Rick T" <plinnane3NO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Rocket J. Squirrel wrote:

<snip>
April 27, 2004 3:50:06 AM

In article <cene809pkhm230dkksaqb8slkavt56odtj@4ax.com>,
UseNewsgroup@NotEmail.net says...
> On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 16:42:27 -0400, "James Nipper"
> <jnipper@nospam.fdn.com> wrote:
>

> >Thanks for all the responses !! What about Registry Mechanic?
> >
> I was happy with Registry Mechanic until I tried jv16 Power Tools.
> jv16 is *much* better.

Better in what ways?

TIA

Louise
Anonymous
April 27, 2004 6:00:18 AM

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 23:50:06 -0400, Louise <none@nospam.com> wrote:

>In article <cene809pkhm230dkksaqb8slkavt56odtj@4ax.com>,
>UseNewsgroup@NotEmail.net says...
>> On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 16:42:27 -0400, "James Nipper"
>> <jnipper@nospam.fdn.com> wrote:
>>

>> >Thanks for all the responses !! What about Registry Mechanic?
>> >
>> I was happy with Registry Mechanic until I tried jv16 Power Tools.
>> jv16 is *much* better.
>>
>Better in what ways?

jv16 Power Tools offers *much* more thorough scans and more options...but
keep in mind that I stated that it is the better choice for the
*experienced* user. A novice could get into serious trouble by accidentally
deleting registry keys that are necessary.
--
<<<SgtRich>>>

Desktop: Dell Dimension XPS T550
Notebook: Dell Inspiron 8600
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on both
Anonymous
April 29, 2004 3:25:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 21:14:06 -0400, "James Nipper"
<jnipper@nospam.fdn.com> wrote:

>which of the registry cleaners do YOU think is best ??

Quick format and O/S reinstall, followed by installing only the
latest, known-good, versions of the drivers and applications that you
actually use. Registry cleaners are a distant second choice bandaid
that offer a too-high risk/reward quotient. You just can't beat a
fresh system install for fastest problem-free operation
Anonymous
April 29, 2004 3:25:32 PM

Jim Kent wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 21:14:06 -0400, "James Nipper"
> <jnipper@nospam.fdn.com> wrote:
>

>>which of the registry cleaners do YOU think is best ??
>

> Quick format and O/S reinstall, followed by installing only the
> latest, known-good, versions of the drivers and applications that you
> actually use. Registry cleaners are a distant second choice bandaid
> that offer a too-high risk/reward quotient. You just can't beat a
> fresh system install for fastest problem-free operation

Won't argue that, except I run RegCleaner once a week or so, which would
be a little too often for a fresh reinstall.

Rick
Anonymous
April 30, 2004 9:15:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 09:34:17 -0400, in
<#upNf5eLEHA.3516@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, Rick T
<plinnane3NO@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

>Jim Kent wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 21:14:06 -0400, "James Nipper"
>> <jnipper@nospam.fdn.com> wrote:
>>

>>>which of the registry cleaners do YOU think is best ??
>>

>> Quick format and O/S reinstall, followed by installing only the
>> latest, known-good, versions of the drivers and applications that you
>> actually use. Registry cleaners are a distant second choice bandaid
>> that offer a too-high risk/reward quotient. You just can't beat a
>> fresh system install for fastest problem-free operation
>
>Won't argue that, except I run RegCleaner once a week or so, which would
>be a little too often for a fresh reinstall.

Yep, and a fresh reinstall is only the beginning. Now you need
to apply the OS updates, then reinstall the applications that
didn't come with the OS and apply any updates to them, then
restore the data - which although not mentioned, you better have
backed up before that quick format. Now you get to reset all the
parameters and setup options for all those applications. And
more.

I think anyone who favors the format and reinstall approach is
probably doing little more than playing black jack (hearts,
minesweeper, you name it) with their computer.

OTOH, you clean your registry once a week?

I'm thinking some folks may just need to start practicing safe
and responsible hex vs going to the clinic every so often for a
cure.
Anonymous
April 30, 2004 9:15:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

> I'm thinking some folks may just need to start practicing safe
> and responsible hex vs going to the clinic every so often for a
> cure.

Great! How long did it take to come up with that one? :-)

WT
Anonymous
May 2, 2004 1:41:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 13:42:58 -0500, in
<c6u6nj$g8vvn$1@ID-201804.news.uni-berlin.de>, "Wayne Tiffany"
<wayne.tiffany@asi.com> wrote:

>> I'm thinking some folks may just need to start practicing safe
>> and responsible hex vs going to the clinic every so often for a
>> cure.
>>

>Great! How long did it take to come up with that one? :-)

I've been using the "safe hex" line for years, but I didn't coin
it. Don't know who did. The rest just came to me on the spur of
the moment... out of the frustration with seeing some resort to
cleanup methods that are more problem than simply using basic
good safe computing practices in the first place.
Anonymous
December 25, 2010 9:44:12 AM

This topic has been closed by Fihart
!