How to use a Laptop as a monitor

Hi there,

I have two Laptops and a desktop Pc, all running Windows XP with SP2
installed.

Is there any way, how I can use the laptops screen as a monitor for my
desktop PC?

Dennis
5 answers Last reply
More about laptop monitor

    I know most notebooks are capable of putting out video in many forms , but
    not recieving incomming signal.

    If you are simply asking because you do not yet have a monitor for the PC ,
    I'd recommend purchasing one, however if you are just experimenting, you
    could use remot desktop and the likes. Which would allow your notebook to
    interact with the PC as if you were using the PC itself.

    How to use the Remote Desktop feature of Windows XP Professional
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315328
    --
    ________
    NIC

    Hi Dennis,

    Once you have plugged your monitor cable in try the Function key on the
    laptop and hold down and press either F4 or F5 to recive signal, worked for
    me!

    In article <F07A7959-1ACD-4AE8-86C9-63C55C6464A9@microsoft.com>,
    Dennis1979TS <Dennis1979TS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >Hi there,
    >
    >I have two Laptops and a desktop Pc, all running Windows XP with SP2
    >installed.
    >
    >Is there any way, how I can use the laptops screen as a monitor for my
    >desktop PC?
    >
    >Dennis

    Yes. Get MaxiVista Professional, from http://www.maxivista.com

    Connect the three computers in a local area network. Run MaxiVista
    Server on the desktop, and run MaxiVista Viewer on each laptop. That
    will give you three monitors.
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    Hi Steve,

    thanks for the speedy reply. This Maxivista tool is awesome! I will buy it
    immediately. The speed is just amazing and I wonder how they make it this
    fast across a WLAN connection.

    Dennis

    In article <2319E1D0-1FA6-4531-B019-5315C6F66962@microsoft.com>,
    Dennis1979TS <Dennis1979TS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >> >Hi there,
    >> >
    >> >I have two Laptops and a desktop Pc, all running Windows XP with SP2
    >> >installed.
    >> >
    >> >Is there any way, how I can use the laptops screen as a monitor for my
    >> >desktop PC?
    >> >
    >> >Dennis
    >>
    >> Yes. Get MaxiVista Professional, from http://www.maxivista.com
    >>
    >> Connect the three computers in a local area network. Run MaxiVista
    >> Server on the desktop, and run MaxiVista Viewer on each laptop. That
    >> will give you three monitors.
    >
    >Hi Steve,
    >
    >thanks for the speedy reply. This Maxivista tool is awesome! I will buy it
    >immediately. The speed is just amazing and I wonder how they make it this
    >fast across a WLAN connection.
    >
    >Dennis

    You're welcome, Dennis. I take it that you've downloaded and used the
    free trial version, and I'm glad that you like it. I've used
    MaxiVista in a 4-monitor setup: two regular monitors driven by
    graphics cards, and two laptops driven by MaxiVista. It's a great
    program.

    One tip: In many cases, Windows XP remembers what monitor a window was
    on most recently, and it tries to display it on that same monitor when
    you run the program again. So, move windows back to the main monitor
    before you close them. That way, you can remove the laptop from the
    setup, and XP won't try to open a window on a non-existent monitor,
    which can make the window invisible and inaccessible.
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Laptops Desktops Monitors Windows XP