How to use a Laptop as a monitor

a b D Laptop
a b C Monitor
August 16, 2005 6:53:14 AM

Hi there,

I have two Laptops and a desktop Pc, all running Windows XP with SP2
installed.

Is there any way, how I can use the laptops screen as a monitor for my
desktop PC?

Dennis

More about : laptop monitor

August 16, 2005 7:38:05 AM

I know most notebooks are capable of putting out video in many forms , but
not recieving incomming signal.

If you are simply asking because you do not yet have a monitor for the PC ,
I'd recommend purchasing one, however if you are just experimenting, you
could use remot desktop and the likes. Which would allow your notebook to
interact with the PC as if you were using the PC itself.

How to use the Remote Desktop feature of Windows XP Professional
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315328
--
________
NIC

Hi Dennis,

Once you have plugged your monitor cable in try the Function key on the
laptop and hold down and press either F4 or F5 to recive signal, worked for
me!

"Dennis1979TS" wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I have two Laptops and a desktop Pc, all running Windows XP with SP2
> installed.
>
> Is there any way, how I can use the laptops screen as a monitor for my
> desktop PC?
>
> Dennis
a b D Laptop
a b C Monitor
August 16, 2005 9:55:37 AM

In article <F07A7959-1ACD-4AE8-86C9-63C55C6464A9@microsoft.com>,
Dennis1979TS <Dennis1979TS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>Hi there,
>
>I have two Laptops and a desktop Pc, all running Windows XP with SP2
>installed.
>
>Is there any way, how I can use the laptops screen as a monitor for my
>desktop PC?
>
>Dennis

Yes. Get MaxiVista Professional, from http://www.maxivista.com

Connect the three computers in a local area network. Run MaxiVista
Server on the desktop, and run MaxiVista Viewer on each laptop. That
will give you three monitors.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b C Monitor
August 16, 2005 12:27:09 PM

Hi Steve,

thanks for the speedy reply. This Maxivista tool is awesome! I will buy it
immediately. The speed is just amazing and I wonder how they make it this
fast across a WLAN connection.

Dennis

"Steve Winograd [MVP]" wrote:

> In article <F07A7959-1ACD-4AE8-86C9-63C55C6464A9@microsoft.com>,
> Dennis1979TS <Dennis1979TS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >Hi there,
> >
> >I have two Laptops and a desktop Pc, all running Windows XP with SP2
> >installed.
> >
> >Is there any way, how I can use the laptops screen as a monitor for my
> >desktop PC?
> >
> >Dennis
>
> Yes. Get MaxiVista Professional, from http://www.maxivista.com
>
> Connect the three computers in a local area network. Run MaxiVista
> Server on the desktop, and run MaxiVista Viewer on each laptop. That
> will give you three monitors.
> --
> Best Wishes,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b C Monitor
August 16, 2005 3:43:18 PM

In article <2319E1D0-1FA6-4531-B019-5315C6F66962@microsoft.com>,
Dennis1979TS <Dennis1979TS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>> >Hi there,
>> >
>> >I have two Laptops and a desktop Pc, all running Windows XP with SP2
>> >installed.
>> >
>> >Is there any way, how I can use the laptops screen as a monitor for my
>> >desktop PC?
>> >
>> >Dennis
>>
>> Yes. Get MaxiVista Professional, from http://www.maxivista.com
>>
>> Connect the three computers in a local area network. Run MaxiVista
>> Server on the desktop, and run MaxiVista Viewer on each laptop. That
>> will give you three monitors.
>
>Hi Steve,
>
>thanks for the speedy reply. This Maxivista tool is awesome! I will buy it
>immediately. The speed is just amazing and I wonder how they make it this
>fast across a WLAN connection.
>
>Dennis

You're welcome, Dennis. I take it that you've downloaded and used the
free trial version, and I'm glad that you like it. I've used
MaxiVista in a 4-monitor setup: two regular monitors driven by
graphics cards, and two laptops driven by MaxiVista. It's a great
program.

One tip: In many cases, Windows XP remembers what monitor a window was
on most recently, and it tries to display it on that same monitor when
you run the program again. So, move windows back to the main monitor
before you close them. That way, you can remove the laptop from the
setup, and XP won't try to open a window on a non-existent monitor,
which can make the window invisible and inaccessible.
--

!