NAVL shipping disaster and follow-up

I bought a super nice Strange Science from Todd at TNT, and NAVL had the bad
taste to drop it off of a forklift. Now I specifically had Todd ship me the
game with the legs *on* because NAVL's own rules forbid them from picking up
a pinball with a forklift unless it's on a pallet.

The only real damage they've ever done to a pin of mine in the past (of
about 30 games they've shipped for me) is when a game was on a pallet, they
smashed it with a forklift. It was wrapped, so the damage wasn't apparent
until after they delivered the game and we opened it.

Well the guy moving my legs-on Strange Sci into the truck that day got lazy
and picked it up with the forks anyway -- and then dropped it onto its side.
The cabinet and especially the head are obviously beat up, but I think the
rest of it (except the p/f glass) may have come thru okay -- I don't know
because I couldn't give it a close exam. But I know that it had a great p/f
and great ramps, and I'm sure the boards etc. are probably okay, and the
topper still looks perfect.

To their credit, NAVL fired the guy the next day (my regular driver gave me
the story) and the insurance paid off 100% of what I paid for it within a
week (which was a lot, due to the condition), no questions asked. I made
them an offer on the salvage value and they took me up on that too, so if
the playfield survived and the topper still works etc. at least I've got the
guts to a super nice example.

Anyway time will tell if my salvage offer was smart or not, but in any event
I wanted to pass on the story and let the group know that a) I still think
shipping them via NAVL on their legs is the best bet, because they have to
move them by hand (especially now - they made a big stink about it
internally), and b) if they do damage your game, they pay the insurance
claim quickly and painlessly. They didn't even ask if I'd get a repair
estimate, because I told them I didn't want a repaired game any more than
I'd want a car that had been wrecked and repaired.

I've found Pilot Air and Forward Air to be a huge pain in the butt compared
to NAVL, and you can't beat their customer service.

Randy
17 answers Last reply
More about navl shipping disaster follow

    I have had 2 games shipped ON LEGS

    both got here perfectly

    have not had as much luck with the games when they are packed on their
    backsides

    I really think legs is the way to go oddly enough

    gary

    Randy P. wrote:
    > I bought a super nice Strange Science from Todd at TNT, and NAVL had the bad
    > taste to drop it off of a forklift. Now I specifically had Todd ship me the
    > game with the legs *on* because NAVL's own rules forbid them from picking up
    > a pinball with a forklift unless it's on a pallet.
    >
    > The only real damage they've ever done to a pin of mine in the past (of
    > about 30 games they've shipped for me) is when a game was on a pallet, they
    > smashed it with a forklift. It was wrapped, so the damage wasn't apparent
    > until after they delivered the game and we opened it.
    >
    > Well the guy moving my legs-on Strange Sci into the truck that day got lazy
    > and picked it up with the forks anyway -- and then dropped it onto its side.
    > The cabinet and especially the head are obviously beat up, but I think the
    > rest of it (except the p/f glass) may have come thru okay -- I don't know
    > because I couldn't give it a close exam. But I know that it had a great p/f
    > and great ramps, and I'm sure the boards etc. are probably okay, and the
    > topper still looks perfect.
    >
    > To their credit, NAVL fired the guy the next day (my regular driver gave me
    > the story) and the insurance paid off 100% of what I paid for it within a
    > week (which was a lot, due to the condition), no questions asked. I made
    > them an offer on the salvage value and they took me up on that too, so if
    > the playfield survived and the topper still works etc. at least I've got the
    > guts to a super nice example.
    >
    > Anyway time will tell if my salvage offer was smart or not, but in any event
    > I wanted to pass on the story and let the group know that a) I still think
    > shipping them via NAVL on their legs is the best bet, because they have to
    > move them by hand (especially now - they made a big stink about it
    > internally), and b) if they do damage your game, they pay the insurance
    > claim quickly and painlessly. They didn't even ask if I'd get a repair
    > estimate, because I told them I didn't want a repaired game any more than
    > I'd want a car that had been wrecked and repaired.
    >
    > I've found Pilot Air and Forward Air to be a huge pain in the butt compared
    > to NAVL, and you can't beat their customer service.
    >
    > Randy

    For once I agree with Gary. Legs on is a good way to go. Fold the
    head down. Cover with layers of blankets, plastic and cardboard. NAVL
    puts it in the truck and straps it to the side. No problems. I have a
    forklift hole in the side of my ST*TNG to convince me that I don't want
    any frappin' forklifts near my machines. Pinskates to and from my
    garage with the legs on - from now on.

    John

    >NAVL's own rules forbid them from picking up
    >a pinball with a forklift unless it's on a pallet.

    If I ever ship a pinball again I am going to get a double pallet, cover
    the entire thing in shipping blankets and cling wrap, and lay botom
    down on the double pallet with straps.

    I have also had good luck with the pinball standing upright on a pallet
    with tiedowns totally wrapped. Same thing for an Asteroids.

    Kirb

    Did you guys even read the first post? It FELL OVER. That's the kind of
    thing that can happen to a pin on its legs. Doesn't seem to be a good
    idea to me at all.

    PT wrote:
    > For once I agree with Gary. Legs on is a good way to go. Fold the
    > head down. Cover with layers of blankets, plastic and cardboard. NAVL
    > puts it in the truck and straps it to the side. No problems. I have a
    > forklift hole in the side of my ST*TNG to convince me that I don't want
    > any frappin' forklifts near my machines. Pinskates to and from my
    > garage with the legs on - from now on.
    >
    > John

    It didn't exactly fall over. He had it on the forks and he stopped too fast
    and it slid off and landed on its side.

    Unless they break their own (NAVL) rules, which will get them fired, this
    won't happen.

    Randy

    kirb wrote:
    > >NAVL's own rules forbid them from picking up
    > >a pinball with a forklift unless it's on a pallet.
    >
    > If I ever ship a pinball again I am going to get a double pallet, cover
    > the entire thing in shipping blankets and cling wrap, and lay botom
    > down on the double pallet with straps.
    >
    > I have also had good luck with the pinball standing upright on a pallet
    > with tiedowns totally wrapped. Same thing for an Asteroids.
    >
    > Kirb

    Kirb, Just to let you know, I thought the best way was exactly as
    above. Double pallet , wrapped, more wrapped and on its bottom. Well
    with a game like this now it becomes a "perfect table". It gets loaded
    first into trucks and all else goes on top. I had two games I did this
    with and in both cases smashed lower cabinets because things of larger
    weight went on top. Glass, metal, broken ramps, compressed head,
    smashed corners. Just to let you know I have had terrible luck with
    this method. With a pinball on its bottom, a great lower base for
    stacking on top of.

    Bill

    I used to drive a fork, it is really, really really easy to "spear"
    cargo with the fork. Usually it happend when you are trying to maneuver
    the forklift in tight quarters, and you spear somehting near the object
    you are trying to pick up. Shipping on its legs would be the best idea,
    because they should stay the heck away with the forks after this
    incident.

    Reminds me of the protective equipment debate in football and hockey.
    Does more/better equipment result in fewer, less servere injuries? My
    understanding is that it results in certain, MORE severe injuries.
    Reason being, players now hit harder and acted more aggressively with
    better equipment.

    Picture a forklift driver heading toward a carboard wrapped, palleted
    pin doing 30 MPH screaming YEE-HAW!!

    I can see them being more careful if the pin is set up on it's legs. I
    can also picture them sliding the pin around instead of lifting it.
    Not sure I'd like what that will do to the cabinet.

    Personally, if the pin were mine and of some value, I would request a
    totally enclosed wood crate with the pin on it's bottom instead of
    back.

    Bryan (CARGPB14) http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/bspins

    "Warning! Achtung! Run away, Run away!: BK restorations may emit a
    shower of sparks or flames or both. Keep a safe distance (like four
    city blocks). Never return to a restoration once lit. Hot hot hot!"

    (Sig line compliments of Clive at the Coin-Op Cauldron.)

    Randy P. wrote:
    > It didn't exactly fall over. He had it on the forks and he stopped too fast
    > and it slid off and landed on its side.
    >
    > Unless they break their own (NAVL) rules, which will get them fired, this
    > won't happen.
    >
    > Randy
    >
    > "ldnayman" <ldnayman@aol.com> wrote in message
    > > Did you guys even read the first post? It FELL OVER. That's the kind of
    > > thing that can happen to a pin on its legs. Doesn't seem to be a good
    > > idea to me at all.
    > >

    > > PT wrote:
    > >> For once I agree with Gary. Legs on is a good way to go. Fold the
    > >> head down. Cover with layers of blankets, plastic and cardboard. NAVL
    > >> puts it in the truck and straps it to the side. No problems. I have a
    > >> forklift hole in the side of my ST*TNG to convince me that I don't want
    > >> any frappin' forklifts near my machines. Pinskates to and from my
    > >> garage with the legs on - from now on.
    > >>
    > >> John

    Still I think it's funny that a thread that starts with "I shipped the
    pin on its legs and it got messed up" ends with everyone concluding the
    best way to ship a pin is on its legs.

    Randy P. wrote:
    > It didn't exactly fall over. He had it on the forks and he stopped too fast
    > and it slid off and landed on its side.
    >
    > Unless they break their own (NAVL) rules, which will get them fired, this
    > won't happen.
    >
    > Randy

    On the other hand I think I got REAL lucky with my Star Wars cab. It was
    sitting flat on a pallet, hanging over and not strapped in any way. It
    came from St Louis to California via Pilot Air without a scratch!!!

    --
    Cliffy - CARGPB2
    A passion for pinball!

    NAVL will tell ya' to ship them with the legs on... being they won't
    loose the legs that way. They were built to be moved standing on end,
    the glass is less prone to breaking that way also. I shipp them
    folded, shrink wrapped, with the legs and other small items in another
    box. No major problems yet.

    zTim

    I've shipped some really good games with the Legs on & I've been lucky
    & no problems, Head folded, shrink wraped, Carboarded & shrink wrapped
    again.
    The driver who picks my games up said leaving the legs on was a
    sure-fire way to get it "Forked" as in this case, A Lazy worker used
    the fork-lift & it costed them !!
    Insure the heck out of it & I put signs on mine that say "Do not use
    fork-lift" ,,, UNVLs should buy a few pin-Dollys or skates
    so these games dont get busted,,,But I've also seen
    Dry-Rotted games you couldnt pay me to move on those trucks.

    Pin-Del,

    I just arranged NAVL shipping on an EM Night Rider I'm bringing to
    California from Pennsylvania. The pin is at the home of the seller's
    friend, and as far as I know it's sitting there in a garage with the
    legs on. What would you NAVL vets advise is the best way to have the
    game shipped? What does NAVL typically do in a situation like this? Do
    they take off the legs? Fold the head down and strap it to the body?
    Just wrap it in blankets on the legs and strap it to the side of the
    truck? Should I have the seller's friend tell the driver to put a NO
    FORKLIFT sign on it?

    Any and all advice is greatly appreciated? The pickup date is 7/6, with
    an ETA here of 7/13. Michelle Bianchi was great helping st up the
    arrangements.

    Mike

    In article <1120248410.464349.63190@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    "Bryan Kelly" <bskelly3@aol.com> wrote:

    > Reminds me of the protective equipment debate in football and hockey.
    > Does more/better equipment result in fewer, less servere injuries? My
    > understanding is that it results in certain, MORE severe injuries.
    > Reason being, players now hit harder and acted more aggressively with
    > better equipment.
    >
    > Picture a forklift driver heading toward a carboard wrapped, palleted
    > pin doing 30 MPH screaming YEE-HAW!!
    >
    > I can see them being more careful if the pin is set up on it's legs. I
    > can also picture them sliding the pin around instead of lifting it.
    > Not sure I'd like what that will do to the cabinet.
    >
    > Personally, if the pin were mine and of some value, I would request a
    > totally enclosed wood crate with the pin on it's bottom instead of
    > back.

    I've had EMs shipped with the head up as well as down, but down and strapped
    to the body is probably best (with thick cardboard to protect the rails.)
    NAVL won't remove the legs, and I don't suggest you do either unless it's
    gonna be crated. Others will differ in that opinion, and there is risk no
    matter how you ship it.

    I think the "NO FORKLIFT" sign on each side is a great idea ;-)

    Randy

    "MD" <pilgarlic@MUNGEcomcast.net> wrote in message
    >I just arranged NAVL shipping on an EM Night Rider I'm bringing to
    > California from Pennsylvania. The pin is at the home of the seller's
    > friend, and as far as I know it's sitting there in a garage with the
    > legs on. What would you NAVL vets advise is the best way to have the
    > game shipped? What does NAVL typically do in a situation like this? Do
    > they take off the legs? Fold the head down and strap it to the body?
    > Just wrap it in blankets on the legs and strap it to the side of the
    > truck? Should I have the seller's friend tell the driver to put a NO
    > FORKLIFT sign on it?
    >
    > Any and all advice is greatly appreciated? The pickup date is 7/6, with
    > an ETA here of 7/13. Michelle Bianchi was great helping st up the
    > arrangements.
    >
    > Mike
    >

    > In article <1120248410.464349.63190@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    > "Bryan Kelly" <bskelly3@aol.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Reminds me of the protective equipment debate in football and hockey.
    >> Does more/better equipment result in fewer, less servere injuries? My
    >> understanding is that it results in certain, MORE severe injuries.
    >> Reason being, players now hit harder and acted more aggressively with
    >> better equipment.
    >>
    >> Picture a forklift driver heading toward a carboard wrapped, palleted
    >> pin doing 30 MPH screaming YEE-HAW!!
    >>
    >> I can see them being more careful if the pin is set up on it's legs. I
    >> can also picture them sliding the pin around instead of lifting it.
    >> Not sure I'd like what that will do to the cabinet.
    >>
    >> Personally, if the pin were mine and of some value, I would request a
    >> totally enclosed wood crate with the pin on it's bottom instead of
    >> back.

    Legs on, BAD BAD IDEA!!!!! NAVL has probably shipped at least 50
    machines to my home.I recently have had my 3rd claim with them.ALL
    because of shipping with the legs on.1st one was an Egg Head. The legs
    were colapsed and the machine was on its side when we opened the
    door.2nd The Treasure Cove 60 Baseball Deluxe. Shipped with legs on and
    they colapsed. Not much damage but heart breaking just the same. Just
    ask Allen.He also ships with the legs off now. Than the 3rd was a Rare
    Gottlieb Gold Strike add a ball .Legs on and the machine fell over and
    ripped the wedge head off, broke 1 leg totally off.With the wood still
    attached.They destroyed a 1 of 600 machines made.Fine,they'le pay for
    the machine.So what.Find me another Gold Strike in the same mint
    condition mine was before they fu#%ed it up! All of the other
    machines,on a pallet and wrapped.All delivered PERFECTLY.The moral of
    this story: TAKE OFF THE LEGS! Don't be lazy.Michelle Bianci at NAVL
    will also tell you the same. Good luck,Walt

    waltr@sirus.com wrote:

    > Legs on, BAD BAD IDEA!!!!!
    > I recently have had my 3rd claim with them. ALL
    > because of shipping with the legs on. The legs
    > were colapsed and the machine was on its side

    I just received three blanket-wrapped games yesterday via NAVL. A
    thousand miles on their backs without a nick or a scratch, and the
    shipping came to only $145 per game! I would never have had them
    shipped with the legs on, even though it might have reduced the risk of
    forking. To me, the bigger risk is what Walt described above: losing a
    leg in transit and having the game collapse. I've seen too many
    stripped leg bolts to ignore that possibility, and a three-legged,
    275-lb. pinball machine can't be very stable.

    The games I received were TAF, IJ, ST:TNG. They were route games that
    are going to need some lovin', but they will all clean up nicely. I'm
    stoked! Up until now, my collection hasn't included any Bally/Wms. dmd
    games other than HSII. I only played TAF once -- ten years ago -- and
    I've never played IJ or ST:TNG at all. Somehow, I get the feeling
    these big boys are going to provide a whole different playing
    experience than my skinny, early SS games, or my dumb, pretty EMs.
    Thanks, Dave Wagler!

    - Josh A.

    Agreed, very very bad idea. The game now becomes top heavy and can easily
    get away from the movers in loading off the truck or up steps, whatever.
    Also, most pins with the game's head on will not fit through the door and
    angling a fully assembled pin just begs for trouble. You'll have to remove
    the door most likely in this scenario, making extra work.

    I remember when I bought my Neptune EM from a seller in VT a few years ago.
    I was so glad I called and asked about breaking down the pin. He had no
    idea what I was talking about. He was going to just leave it as is for NAVL
    and as you know, there were less than 300 of these pins, one of the last
    Gottlieb EM's. Good luck finding a backglass for this.

    On the positive side, every pin I received through North American was
    received without a scratch, left in the back yard, covered in a giant tarp I
    have, in case of a stray storm coming through while I was at work. I think
    I've had 4 shipped here through them, and maybe 2 shipped out through North
    American. The key is to make sure the seller wraps the game well and you
    should be fine.

    Pingeek
    http://www.pingeek.com Pinball dvd's for sale

    "Josh A." <josh489@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > waltr@sirus.com wrote:
    >
    >> Legs on, BAD BAD IDEA!!!!!
    >> I recently have had my 3rd claim with them. ALL
    >> because of shipping with the legs on. The legs
    >> were colapsed and the machine was on its side
    >
    > I just received three blanket-wrapped games yesterday via NAVL. A
    > thousand miles on their backs without a nick or a scratch, and the
    > shipping came to only $145 per game! I would never have had them
    > shipped with the legs on, even though it might have reduced the risk of
    > forking. To me, the bigger risk is what Walt described above: losing a
    > leg in transit and having the game collapse. I've seen too many
    > stripped leg bolts to ignore that possibility, and a three-legged,
    > 275-lb. pinball machine can't be very stable.
    >
    > The games I received were TAF, IJ, ST:TNG. They were route games that
    > are going to need some lovin', but they will all clean up nicely. I'm
    > stoked! Up until now, my collection hasn't included any Bally/Wms. dmd
    > games other than HSII. I only played TAF once -- ten years ago -- and
    > I've never played IJ or ST:TNG at all. Somehow, I get the feeling
    > these big boys are going to provide a whole different playing
    > experience than my skinny, early SS games, or my dumb, pretty EMs.
    > Thanks, Dave Wagler!
    >
    > - Josh A.

Games Video Games