What processor can be used in a msi x58m sli motherboard

chrizzo

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012
Hi , just wondering if there is a faster cpu that I can use in my pc. Have intel i7 920 @2.67 with a nvidia GeForce 3600GT and it seems to be a bit slow with some of my games.

Solution
For your information in most games the one component that makes the biggest difference is the video card and if you want to see a big improvement in performance then you should upgrade your video card.
You may have put the wrong model number because I don't know of any 3600 GT , so I would recheck that model number.
Here is a graphics chart with the video cards listed from the top ( best) to the bottom.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

So if I were you I would coonsider a video card upgrade first unless you are playing games that are cpu dependent.
There are a few higher ranked cpus for that 1366 socket and they are the i7-950 , i7-960, i7-970, i7-980x and the i7-990x with the last two being six core unlocked cpus.
Have you tried overclocking the 920 , it's my understanding that it can be overclocked pretty good.

For your information in most games the one component that makes the biggest difference is the video card and if you want to see a big improvement in performance then you should upgrade your video card.
You may have put the wrong model number because I don't know of any 3600 GT , so I would recheck that model number.
Here is a graphics chart with the video cards listed from the top ( best) to the bottom.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

So if I were you I would coonsider a video card upgrade first unless you are playing games that are cpu dependent.

Solution

chrizzo

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012

Thanks , computer was clocked when I bought it but a whlie ago I got a message at start up saying that the clocking had failed. I don't know what its original clocking was and I am unsure if it is a good idea to redo it as there must be a reason why it failed. Also if it fails once would it reset itself the next time you started the computer?

No it wouldn't reset itself you have to do that manualy. Overclocking can at times fail and it's not going to harm your computer to overclock it again. There are from time to time glitches and settings that can cause the overclock to fail and you just set it back. But as I also said the video card is something that would make more of a difference and you wouldn't have to worry avbout overclocking.

chrizzo

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012

My bad typing I have a 9600gt

Thought so I never heard of a 3600GT , so now you would de o well to consider a video card upgrade and looking at the chart I linked for you there are some video cards that could give you a boost in performance in gaming.
The newly released GTX 650 would be a good choice.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127701 $105

You can get this card for $105 after rebate, however you will have to set a budget amount that you want to work with and you don't want to get to high end a video card or it could bottleneck your cpu.

larkspur

Distinguished
Yeah, your GPU is your main problem. My i7-920 has no problem gaming in Crossfire with radeon 5870s. I do notice a nice performance boost when I OC to 3.5ghz, but with your 9600gt your cpu isn't holding you back - get a modern GPU and you'll have a great machine.

OCing your 920 will help a lot especially down the road. But first get a good GPU so it can really make a difference. Then spend some time understanding how to OC your 920. You also need to make sure you have a good CPU cooler in there!

chrizzo

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012

GTX 650 or 650TI, evga or msi? I am not really all that knowledgeable about the hardware side of computers even though I have changed floppy disc drives and dvd roms. I will probabaly have a go at clocking the pc if I find some good instructions somewhere.
thanks for the help.

larkspur

Distinguished
Ok, before a graphics card recommendation, we need to know what resolution your gaming monitor is, what settings you like to use (medium/high/don't care really), and what games you want to play. Obviously a 9600gt isn't playing the latest games with high settings but is that something you want to do with your new card? Also, what is your approximate budget and what country/where do you want to shop for the GPU? And very important, what is your power supply (PSU) make/model/wattage?

chrizzo

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012

hi. no clue as to the power supply. I ran an aida64 report .it says power supply is safe 2431 RPM, cpu core 1.152v etc but no make, model or wattage. I have played Assassin's creed 1 and then downoaded 2 and brotherhood neither of which run very well on the settings selected by the install.Also ac1 now does not play well either. I want to buy ac3 but it probably won't work. Money is not to much of a problem but i don't want to throw it away if the pc is going to die soon. I am inustrala

chrizzo

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012
Hi to everyone who helped. Problem has been solved with a new graphics card, a 660gtx a new 600w power supply and a SSD hard drive.Games are running great now. Thanks for all the good suggestions Chrizzo,
ps cant rate the replies as there is no gold cup above the answers.