Cool and Quiet PC (from Information Week)

There's actually a third article in that series.

In his articles, Fred writes about adding an additional case fan to reduce
noise and increase cooling. His ideas make good sense, but I don't see where
I could add another fan to my Dell desktop. Has anyone tried this?

Rocky

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=17701645&pgno=1

> Part II
> http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=18201756
>

> Stew

My 8200 has a total of 6 fans in it now. Factory had 3. 1- factory power
supply 1- factory CPU cooler 1- ATI vid card. I put in a slot fan next
to the video card to draw out as much heat there that I could. Plus I
put another one in the front. It has twin fans one draws in the other
blows out. It is installed with a duct around the front 3 hard drives so
that it cools them. Outside the case I have two fans that draw air
through the CPU area of the desk. Keeps everything cool.
--
Steve Williams

"Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message
> There's actually a third article in that series.
>
> In his articles, Fred writes about adding an additional case fan to
reduce
> noise and increase cooling. His ideas make good sense, but I don't see
where
> I could add another fan to my Dell desktop. Has anyone tried this?
>
> Rocky
>
> "S.Lewis" <stew1960@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > A helpful read for those fighting fan cooling noise.
> >
> > Part I

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=17701645&pgno=1

> > Part II

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=18201756

> > Stew

That's fascinating. Sounds like you could open an ice cream stand inside
your computer. About that fan installed around the front hard 3 hard
drives - how did you attach it to the inside of your case?

Rocky

"Steve W." <me@homer.org> wrote in message
> My 8200 has a total of 6 fans in it now. Factory had 3. 1- factory power
> supply 1- factory CPU cooler 1- ATI vid card. I put in a slot fan next
> to the video card to draw out as much heat there that I could. Plus I
> put another one in the front. It has twin fans one draws in the other
> blows out. It is installed with a duct around the front 3 hard drives so
> that it cools them. Outside the case I have two fans that draw air
> through the CPU area of the desk. Keeps everything cool.
> --
> Steve Williams
>

> "Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message
> > There's actually a third article in that series.
> >
> > In his articles, Fred writes about adding an additional case fan to
> reduce
> > noise and increase cooling. His ideas make good sense, but I don't see
> where
> > I could add another fan to my Dell desktop. Has anyone tried this?
> >
> > Rocky
> >
> > "S.Lewis" <stew1960@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > > A helpful read for those fighting fan cooling noise.
> > >
> > > Part I

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=17701645&pgno=1

> > > Part II
> > >
> http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=18201756
> > >

> > > Stew

It is mounted in the front of the case where the floppy was. I moved the
floppy down to the lower rails and the fans are in the space that a ZIP
or other drive. There is a grill mounted up front with the fans mounted
just behind the panel. It started out as similar to this one
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=370004 but
with two fans. I made the rest of it out of sheet styrene and aluminum.
Overall it looks like a box surrounding the drives with one fan drawing
out and one pushing air in. when you look at the airflow it travels in a
U shape. The drives have heat sinks on them also so they stay cool. I
also put heat spreaders on the memory.
--

> That's fascinating. Sounds like you could open an ice cream stand
inside
> your computer. About that fan installed around the front hard 3 hard
> drives - how did you attach it to the inside of your case?
>
> Rocky
>
> "Steve W." <me@homer.org> wrote in message
> > My 8200 has a total of 6 fans in it now. Factory had 3. 1- factory
power
> > supply 1- factory CPU cooler 1- ATI vid card. I put in a slot fan
next
> > to the video card to draw out as much heat there that I could. Plus
> > put another one in the front. It has twin fans one draws in the
other
> > blows out. It is installed with a duct around the front 3 hard
drives so
> > that it cools them. Outside the case I have two fans that draw air
> > through the CPU area of the desk. Keeps everything cool.
> > --
> > Steve Williams
> >

> > "Rocket J. Squirrel" <rocky@bullwinkle.com> wrote in message
> > > There's actually a third article in that series.
> > >
> > > In his articles, Fred writes about adding an additional case fan
> > reduce
> > > noise and increase cooling. His ideas make good sense, but I don't
see
> > where
> > > I could add another fan to my Dell desktop. Has anyone tried this?
> > >
> > > Rocky
> > >
> > > "S.Lewis" <stew1960@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=17701645&pgno=1

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=18201756

> > -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

That is really interesting and quite original. Thanks for sharing the
information.