Must Have PDA Apps

October 29, 2004 12:41:38 AM

It would be nice if everyone would give a quick list of their
must-have PDA application programs. This is very helpful for us
neophytes who need to learn the ropes. If possible, include links.

I have found BackupMan to be a necessity. It allows you to backup
your critical data to an SD disk. I learned how important this is
after losing my data at a convention.
http://www.bitsnbolts.com/backupman.html

More about : pda apps

Anonymous
October 29, 2004 12:41:39 AM

Glenn - USAEyes.org wrote:

> It would be nice if everyone would give a quick list of their
> must-have PDA application programs.

Wordsmith
SplashID
Shadow Plan
DateBk
EasyCalc
iSilo
BackupMan
ZLauncher (device-dependent -- not every Palm needs this)

bblackmoor
2004-10-28
Anonymous
October 29, 2004 12:41:39 AM

My only real must-have is Handyshopper. I use it for so many things
that I'm not sure what I'd do without it.

I also make good use of Plucker, but would call it more of a luxury
than a must-have.
October 29, 2004 2:39:44 AM

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 20:41:38 GMT, Glenn - USAEyes.org
<glenn.hageleSTOPSPAM@USAEyes.org> said:
> It would be nice if everyone would give a quick list of their
> must-have PDA application programs. This is very helpful for us
> neophytes who need to learn the ropes. If possible, include links.

You can have a short list with links or a long list without. :-) I use
palmgear.com for almost everything. Just search there for apps below.

Default Palm OS App replacements
MegaLauncher (Launcher replacement)
- Also includes backup utility and a good file manager
- Alternatives: LauncherX, SilverScreen, ZLauncher (popular but
a hog IMO)
DateMan (Datebook replacement)
- Uses Palm databases
- Can link appts and ToDos to Memos and contacts
- Alternatives: DateBk5, Agendus
Smart Names (Address replacement)
- Great integration with DateMan (same company)

Readers
Plucker
- free
- convert any web site / HTML doc to a Palm DB)
- many free ebooks in Plucker format
Abode PDF reader
eReader
Alternatives: iSilo, Tealdoc, others

Security (Lots of stuff; needs vary. I don't need much.)
SplashID
- Encryption of all personal info (credit cards, app registration
numbers, passwords, etc.
- Includes conduit
- Mac version of desktop software

Media
SplashPhoto (Manage photo library)
Pocket Tunes (mp3 player)

Utilities
BackupMan
- Alternatives: BackupBuddyVFS
FileZ or FileProg (file managers)
- both free, definitely essential if you have an SD card
SlideFree and NewPen
- essential for Tungsten owners -- rarely need to open the slider with these
- NewPen is free
McPhling
- PopUp menu for quick access to favorite and recent apps
- Alternatives: Hi-Launcher, others
Uninstall
- Makes a record of everything an app puts on Palm for clean uninstalls
- "Sandbox" feature lets you safely try out new apps before actually
installing
ZGrab
- Free screengrabber

-cm
Anonymous
October 29, 2004 2:56:48 AM

In article <oul2o01jbvloakak4ac1pvdfh9c4cgqu94@4ax.com>,
Glenn - USAEyes.org <glenn.hageleSTOPSPAM@USAEyes.org> wrote:

> It would be nice if everyone would give a quick list of their
> must-have PDA application programs. This is very helpful for us
> neophytes who need to learn the ropes. If possible, include links.
>
> I have found BackupMan to be a necessity. It allows you to backup
> your critical data to an SD disk. I learned how important this is
> after losing my data at a convention.
> http://www.bitsnbolts.com/backupman.html

DateBK5
TimeCopy
BigClock
Secure It
iSilo
Plucker
eReader
MobiPocket Reader
Bejeweled :-)
SolFree
jpegShow
C4Me
Gratuity
SC-103PC
FileZ (OH YEA!)
ClockPop
Crash
ChangeName
DALauncher
and a host of Desk Accessories to use with DALauncher
Graffiti Anywhere
Singe Button Launcher
Battery Graph
RHMidi
ZLauncher (Absolutely)
IconMgr
CutPaste5
Spell5
ScrollBar5
ShortCut5
Switch5
GeekSounds

Bob Harris
Anonymous
October 29, 2004 3:08:40 AM

In article <oul2o01jbvloakak4ac1pvdfh9c4cgqu94@4ax.com>,
glenn.hageleSTOPSPAM@USAEyes.org wrote:

> It would be nice if everyone would give a quick list of their
> must-have PDA application programs. This is very helpful for us
> neophytes who need to learn the ropes. If possible, include links.
>
> I have found BackupMan to be a necessity.

Necessities:
SplashID
Switch5
Backup Buddy
Documents To Go

Because they make me happy:
WorldMate
Splash Photo
NoviiRemote
PocketTV Browser
PocketTunes

Because they are surprisingly useful, every now and then:
FileZ
ThoughtManager
Anonymous
October 29, 2004 4:52:51 AM

Glenn - USAEyes.org wrote:
> It would be nice if everyone would give a quick list of their
> must-have PDA application programs. This is very helpful for us
> neophytes who need to learn the ropes. If possible, include links.

Readerware (<URL:http://www.readerware.com/&gt;). Catalog program for
books, CDs, and DVDs. Scrapes information from Amazon, et al., so you
can enter an item with the ISBN, LCCN, or UPC only, and they have free
barcode scanners to help. It doesn't run on your PDA, but on your PC
(Windows, MacOS, or Linux); however, it can also export your current
inventory and wish list to a companion PDA program. (The PDA program is
kinda slow and weak, but it gets the job done.) You can even get a
server-client version. Price varies depending on features ordered, but
quite reasonable. A godsend if you have a large library.

Handy Shopper 2 (available from <URL:http://www.palmgear.com/&gt;).
Shopping lists. It remembers everything you put in it, so once you've
entered something, purchased it, and checked it off, you can put it back
onto the "wanted" list to buy again. Remembers, on a per-store basis,
price and aisle, calculates unit price, calculates tax, etc.. Many
people use it for other purposes, as well. Has a mailing list at
YahooGroups. Free. Bad news -- no conduits or desktop support. However,
it comes with a command-line program to convert the backed-up PDB files
to and from a CSV file, and there are some third-party programs that
build on that to make a desktop GUI. The most popular one requires you
to have Excel.

PalmFrotz or Frobnitz (available from <URL:www.ifarchive.org&gt;). Play
interactive fiction for the Z machine, including the classics from
Infocom (assuming that you already have the Infocom *.DAT files).

--
John W. Kennedy
"Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 20:41:38 GMT, Glenn - USAEyes.org
<glenn.hageleSTOPSPAM@USAEyes.org> spewed forth these words of wisdom:

>It would be nice if everyone would give a quick list of their
>must-have PDA application programs. This is very helpful for us
>neophytes who need to learn the ropes. If possible, include links.
>
>I have found BackupMan to be a necessity. It allows you to backup
>your critical data to an SD disk. I learned how important this is
>after losing my data at a convention.
>http://www.bitsnbolts.com/backupman.html

MegaLauncher - launcher, file manager, file compression and backup utility in
one. http://www.megasoft2000.com/

Galley
Anonymous
October 29, 2004 1:41:12 PM

In article <oul2o01jbvloakak4ac1pvdfh9c4cgqu94@4ax.com>,
Glenn - USAEyes.org <glenn.hageleSTOPSPAM@USAEyes.org> wrote:

> It would be nice if everyone would give a quick list of their
> must-have PDA application programs.

DateBk5
Checkbook (free, amazingly)
Tealscript (make Graffiti work your way)
TimeCopy (automatically sync your PDA clock)
MathU Pro (full featured RPN calculator)
Docs-to-Go (Excel and Word on your Palm)
Anonymous
October 29, 2004 3:46:52 PM

Glenn - USAEyes.org <glenn.hageleSTOPSPAM@USAEyes.org> wrote in message news:<oul2o01jbvloakak4ac1pvdfh9c4cgqu94@4ax.com>...
> It would be nice if everyone would give a quick list of their
> must-have PDA application programs. This is very helpful for us
> neophytes who need to learn the ropes. If possible, include links.

Agendus
BigClock
HandyShopper
Tide Tool
AccountsNLoans
Bkgammon
Anonymous
October 29, 2004 4:26:53 PM

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004, Glenn - USAEyes.org wrote:
> It would be nice if everyone would give a quick list of their
> must-have PDA application programs. This is very helpful for us
> neophytes who need to learn the ropes. If possible, include links.

OnBoardC (http://onboardc.sf.net/) is the one true app. From that,
you can create all other apps. It almost sounds religous.

Help me get a free palm: http://www.freepalms.com/index.php?AFFID=711
October 29, 2004 7:23:59 PM

"Glenn - USAEyes.org" <glenn.hageleSTOPSPAM@USAEyes.org> wrote in message
news:o ul2o01jbvloakak4ac1pvdfh9c4cgqu94@4ax.com...
> It would be nice if everyone would give a quick list of their
> must-have PDA application programs. This is very helpful for us
> neophytes who need to learn the ropes. If possible, include links.
>
> I have found BackupMan to be a necessity. It allows you to backup
> your critical data to an SD disk. I learned how important this is
> after losing my data at a convention.
> http://www.bitsnbolts.com/backupman.html

PocketTunes for music
PalmPuke alerts if SD card pops out
SplashID secure database
FileZ just comes in handy
Anonymous
October 29, 2004 7:34:29 PM

Glenn - USAEyes.org <glenn.hageleSTOPSPAM@USAEyes.org> wrote in
news:o ul2o01jbvloakak4ac1pvdfh9c4cgqu94@4ax.com:

> It would be nice if everyone would give a quick list of their
> must-have PDA application programs.

MSMount for OS5!

http://www.geocities.com/nagamatu/MSMount5/index-e.htm

Excellent program. Now OS5 compatible.

s h e h u
Anonymous
October 30, 2004 7:27:08 AM

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 04:36:09 GMT, Galley <Galley@Spam-Jammer.galleytech.com>
spewed forth these words of wisdom:

>MegaLauncher - launcher, file manager, file compression and backup utility in
>one. http://www.megasoft2000.com/

Add MegaClock to that list. Same address.

Galley
Anonymous
October 31, 2004 10:44:07 AM

"Glenn - USAEyes.org" <glenn.hageleSTOPSPAM@USAEyes.org> wrote in message
news:o ul2o01jbvloakak4ac1pvdfh9c4cgqu94@4ax.com...
> It would be nice if everyone would give a quick list of their
> must-have PDA application programs. This is very helpful for us
> neophytes who need to learn the ropes. If possible, include links.
>
> I have found BackupMan to be a necessity. It allows you to backup
> your critical data to an SD disk. I learned how important this is
> after losing my data at a convention.
> http://www.bitsnbolts.com/backupman.html

This may be of interest:
http://trackerdog.a0soft.com/top100.php
Anonymous
October 31, 2004 6:42:03 PM

Glenn - USAEyes.org wrote:

> It would be nice if everyone would give a quick list of their
> must-have PDA application programs. This is very helpful for us
> neophytes who need to learn the ropes. If possible, include links.
>
> I have found BackupMan to be a necessity. It allows you to backup
> your critical data to an SD disk. I learned how important this is
> after losing my data at a convention.
> http://www.bitsnbolts.com/backupman.html

VfsBackup will back up your Palm to an SD card (or memory stick, or whatever
removable media it uses), and it's Free Software! You can find it at:

http://www.planepla.net/vfsbackup.html

I haven't really looked at BackupMan. Most likely BackupMan is a bit more
feature-ful -- but free is nice too. :-)

--
ZZzz |\ _,,,---,,_ Travis S. Casey <efindel@earthlink.net>
/,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ No one agrees with me. Not even me.
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
'---''(_/--' `-'\_)
Anonymous
October 31, 2004 8:31:22 PM

Glenn - USAEyes.org <glenn.hageleSTOPSPAM@USAEyes.org> wrote in message news:<oul2o01jbvloakak4ac1pvdfh9c4cgqu94@4ax.com>...
> It would be nice if everyone would give a quick list of their
> must-have PDA application programs. This is very helpful for us
> neophytes who need to learn the ropes. If possible, include links.
>
> I have found BackupMan to be a necessity. It allows you to backup
> your critical data to an SD disk. I learned how important this is
> after losing my data at a convention.
> http://www.bitsnbolts.com/backupman.html

I like BackupBuddy for the same reason.

Also - PocketMoney (financial tracking), Trip (mileage tracking),
PalmReader (free e-books), Documents To Go (Word + Excel files),
TimeSheet (time tracking). Those are ones I consider necessities.

LM
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 3:29:22 AM

> It would be nice if everyone would give a quick list of their
> must-have PDA application programs. This is very helpful for us
> neophytes who need to learn the ropes. If possible, include links.

Acid Image
Pocket Tunes
Backup Buddy
Handy Finance
iSilo
McFile
Thought Manager

and more.

Links, descriptions, and nice screenshots at:
http://handysolution.com/faq/must_have_software.htm
November 2, 2004 3:19:20 AM

"Glenn - USAEyes.org" <glenn.hageleSTOPSPAM@USAEyes.org> wrote in message
news:o ul2o01jbvloakak4ac1pvdfh9c4cgqu94@4ax.com...
> It would be nice if everyone would give a quick list of their
> must-have PDA application programs. This is very helpful for us
> neophytes who need to learn the ropes. If possible, include links.
>
> I have found BackupMan to be a necessity. It allows you to backup
> your critical data to an SD disk. I learned how important this is
> after losing my data at a convention.
> http://www.bitsnbolts.com/backupman.html

Resco Explorer - file manager with drag and drop, zip file compression and
picture viewer - excellent!
TAKEphONE - phone app wrapper for Treo 600
CardKeeper - prevented me losing my SD card several times
filepc2pda - lets you write directly from the PC to the Palm card (much
faster than using HotSync)
Butler
PocketTunes
BackupMan
Profeo LC - save battery by automatically controlling the display backlight
Anonymous
November 2, 2004 3:37:49 AM

Maybe not what you had in mind but this is my idea of "must have apps".

Dragon Bane II
Warfare Incorporated
MicroQuad
Bike or Die