Very strange Windows issue (W7 x64)

TotalLamer

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
My home machine has the WEIRDEST issue... it's clean as far as I can tell. It's so weird that honestly I have a hard time describing it. Basically it feels like... I don't know, how to say it. It feels like the "front-end" of the computer is running, but the "back end" or whathaveyou is stuck, just the rest of the machine hasn't realized it yet. For instance I'll click on a program icon in the taskbar, it will open just fine, and as quickly as normal, yet when I go to interact with the program, it will lock up (Not Responding) immediately. Then when I go to Task Manager for force the program to close... TASK MANAGER will show as Not Responding too.

In any case, last night I left Task Manager and Resource Monitor running. Get up this morning, and Task Manager is listed as "Not Responding" while one of my cores is pegged at 100% usage, all others idling. Nothing paticularly interesting in Resource Monitor as far as I can see. Trying to open another program, say, Opera, works fine, until you try to DO something in that program. For instance I could open Firefox, but then the second I type something in and hit the search button, it too will freeze and go to Not Responding. I'm really at a loss on this one.

Thoughts?

isamuelson

Distinguished
Do you have an antivirus program running? If so, which one is it? I'm not saying you have a virus (although that could be the issue or some other malware), but it could also be a service or some other program that has gone astray.

I know with Kaspersky Internet Security Suite 2010, I had serious issues with performance. Once I removed it and replaced it with a different solution, my issues went away.

Also, do you have all the correct drivers running, especially for your hard drive?