Serious performance problems

Archived from groups: comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

Hello there,

I'm having a strange and serious performance problem with Redhat 7.3
running on a HP ML350 G3 dual Xeon server with 1.5 GB of RAM and three
RAID disks on a 641 controller.

Server seems to work all right for three, four, even six days. Then it
becomes absolutely unresponsive but it does not crash. It will not
even display a console screen.

I decided to run via cron the free command each 10 minutes, log this
information and create line graphics to analyze the problem. After
rebooting the server I can see:
1. It takes 2.5 hours for free memory to drop from 1.2 GB to 11 MB.
2. Cached memory grows to almost all free memory and then starts a 45
degree decrease which ends in around 75 MB then it becomes
unresponsive.
3. Between 12 and 24 hours before becoming unresponsive memory buffers
suffer a strong decrease and then a steady decrease, reaching values
of 1120K.

This server runs apache, tomcat, postgres, AWStats and tapeware backup
software.
Any help will be greatly appreciated, since I really do not know were
to start.
Could it be Postgres memory settings?
Kernel memory settings?

I have these graphics and memory value table in Excel, if anyone would
like to see them please let me know and I'll send it via email.

thank you all

On the seventh day, Rodrigo Filgueira Prates wrote...

> [snip, memory disappears]
> I have these graphics and memory value table in Excel, if anyone would
> like to see them please let me know and I'll send it via email.

sounds like you're having a memory leak. My bet: check the web for memory
leak and each of the programs you're running as well as RedHat 7.3. Maybe
you find something. If not, upgrade the software packages one by one. It
may very well be that some of the applications in Tomcat (if you have
programmed them yourself) is causing troubles for you. If it is any
counsellation for you: at work I am facing the same troubles on Fedora Core
2 and some self developed Tomcat apps (not programmed by me, though) and
MySQL, causing NFS to fail.

I wish you luck - such memory leakages are always a pain in the neck to
diagnose.

BTW: You might check for the most recent BIOS as well.

xpost deleted and followup to comp.sys.hp.hardware

100,000 lemmings can't be wrong.