Sign in with
Your question

Computer won't boot up. Fans run at high speed.

Last response: in Computer Brands
September 20, 2012 3:41:53 PM

Hi. I have a Compaq computer (SR2039X) running Windows XP. I use it regularly and when I turned it on to use it (from 'stand by'), the light went on but it didn't show on the monitor and the fans ran at their highest speed. The light was at steady green with no beep sounds (not yellow or any blinking. Also, my pc didn't beep anyway from what I remember). I have my pc set to when I hit the 'power' button, it goes on 'stand by' so it boots up quickly instead of the whole startup process. I also shut the whole pc down from time to time to avoid any glitches, etc. A couple times a day, the pc would start up for a couple of minutes and go on 'stand by' mode again. It's been doing that all along and I was just assuming that's how pc's work on 'stand by'. There wasn't any power outages nor any storms that came through so I know that wasn't the potential problem. I also don't have any virusus or anything else related to it. This just happened out of nowhere and I am wondering what the problem is. I've did some research online and some say it could be the power supply while others say it could be the mother board or perhaps just a better on the mother board that may need to be replaced. I'm not tech savy when it comes to plugging and unplugging things. I have a lot of information on there from work and lots of family pictures.

Does anyone know what the problem could be other than what I have read before? I am wondering if it would be easier to put my hard drive into a similar computer (which I have), or just have this one fixed so I can remove all my information to a newer pc. Any help would be most appreciated. Thank you for your time.

More about : computer boot fans run high speed

September 21, 2012 11:04:00 AM

Most likely this types of issue arise when RAM goes dead the better way to judge it open your CPU box and uninstall your existing ram and plugin again and check if it could work or not? Else if you have a spare ram then install it and then look forward, if still the same problem persists then may be it's the problem with your mother board and you'll have to get it check by any system technician.
m
l
September 28, 2012 12:59:58 AM

Hi. I tried the ram trick and still had the same problem. I've brought it to a computer guy that I've dealt with in the past and after checking everything, he said he was 99% sure my mother board went so I bought a new one and he's installing it very soon. I just hope that was the only problem. I'll keep you posted. Thank you for your reply and help. :-)
m
l
Related resources
September 28, 2012 5:19:20 PM

This is a motherboard issues, probably bad capacitors.
m
l
October 5, 2012 12:22:54 AM

hang-the-9 said:
This is a motherboard issues, probably bad capacitors.

You were both right... It was the motherboard capacitors that went bad and I had a new one installed for $200 (including parts and labor). I am very happy now and I bought a new computer as well to transfer all my information along with buying an external drive so I have a backup of a backup as mentioned by many others. Thank you all for your time and effort.
m
l
!