Unable to read disc data

I have a notebook running XP service pack 2 and EZ Armor anti virus program.
I recently tried to load a cd disc containing some files, but was unable to
open the files because when I clicked on the cd drive to view the files
nothing was showing on screen-there weren't any files on the disc.I proceeded
to view the disc on another pc which did show that the disc contained several
files.
The person that gave me the disc said that the disc was created on a XP
computer so my question is- Is my system faulty or has some command been
enabled that is preventing me from viewing the files on this particular disc,
even though I am able to view files on other discs ok?

Many thanks for your assistance

--
H Brown

Malke

Jinja wrote:

> I have a notebook running XP service pack 2 and EZ Armor anti virus
> program.
> I recently tried to load a cd disc containing some files, but was
> unable to open the files because when I clicked on the cd drive to
> view the files nothing was showing on screen-there weren't any files
> on the disc.I proceeded to view the disc on another pc which did show
> that the disc contained several files.
> The person that gave me the disc said that the disc was created on a
> XP computer so my question is- Is my system faulty or has some command
> been enabled that is preventing me from viewing the files on this
> particular disc, even though I am able to view files on other discs
> ok?
>
> Many thanks for your assistance

If the cd is cd-rw and was created using a packet-writing program like
InCD or DirectCD (or whatever Roxio's packet-writer is called these
days), you would need to have the same program installed on the target
computer or a UDP reader. I believe both Nero and Roxio have free UDP
readers on their sites.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

If they created the CD using one of those programs like InCD that lets you
drag files too the CD and they did not close the CD you won't be able to
read it without the same program.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

"Jinja" <Jinja@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a notebook running XP service pack 2 and EZ Armor anti virus
>program.
> I recently tried to load a cd disc containing some files, but was unable
> open the files because when I clicked on the cd drive to view the files
> nothing was showing on screen-there weren't any files on the disc.I
> proceeded
> to view the disc on another pc which did show that the disc contained
> several
> files.
> The person that gave me the disc said that the disc was created on a XP
> computer so my question is- Is my system faulty or has some command been
> enabled that is preventing me from viewing the files on this particular
> disc,
> even though I am able to view files on other discs ok?
>
> Many thanks for your assistance
>
> --
> H Brown

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

CD drives occasionally may have a problem with a particular brand (or
production run) of CDs, especially on older machines and particularly with
CDRWs. If this is an isolated incident I wouldn't be too concerned about
it.

I respectfully differ with some of the other replies here. Windows XP
(unlike prior versions) has built in support for reading UDF formatted media
and is capable of reading media created with packet drivers like inCD,
Sonic, or Roxio Direct Cd (except for some very old versions of those
programs which were compliant with the UDF standard). When a machine
running XP cannot read such media, it is generally due to a physical problem
reading the media. For older versions of Windows it is necessary to install
a 3rd party UDF reader.