So... What is in that big black box behind the tweeters/woofers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

p1n3apqlexpr3ss

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
So basically i have some speakers laying around... and a old micro-atx amd duron build rest is pretty obvious...

I ripped the plastic front shield off one of them (got 3, 2 are the same) and it basically revealed all the tweeters and such. Which got me wondering whats the point of the empty area for?? Cant find anyway to get into it...

The speakers are your standard couple tweeters one woofer type thing made out of particle board and such...

SUMMARY: Whats in a standard mini hifi speaker thats ~30cm deep? Google imaged it and cant find any cross-sections...

Thanks
P1n3apqlExpr3ss

Solution
G
The loudspeaker box may not be relevant to tweeters or other sealed drive units but it is very relevant to the performance of a bass driver.

To understand speaker box design you have to go back to when speakers were mounted on a flat board. Called a baffle because it separated the output from the front of the speaker cone (the moving bit) from that of the rear of the cone. Think about it; the air at the front is being positively pressured and that at the rear is being negatively pressured. One cancels out the other if they can connect -- so the bigger the board (baffle) the more bass you got. Someone soon realised that the baffle did not have to be flat but could be folded into a box to take up less space with the same effect. From...
G

The loudspeaker box may not be relevant to tweeters or other sealed drive units but it is very relevant to the performance of a bass driver.

To understand speaker box design you have to go back to when speakers were mounted on a flat board. Called a baffle because it separated the output from the front of the speaker cone (the moving bit) from that of the rear of the cone. Think about it; the air at the front is being positively pressured and that at the rear is being negatively pressured. One cancels out the other if they can connect -- so the bigger the board (baffle) the more bass you got. Someone soon realised that the baffle did not have to be flat but could be folded into a box to take up less space with the same effect. From that was born the sealed box or infinite baffle which is common today. The shape and internal volume of the box is critical to the performance of the bass unit. Damping materials are often added to cut out resonances within the box.

However, just to confuse you, a port and small tunnel let into the box may actually boost efficiency at certain frequencies and are quite common on subwoofers.

Solution

p1n3apqlexpr3ss

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
http://allegro.pl/kolumny-aiwa-sx-n-999-mk-ii-i1162652890.html#gallery

I have two of them, the other one is sony but there is no model numbers on it...

So fihart basically this area at the back is for bass performance? To me it doesnt really matter since these speaker are ancient i think, have hooked them up to my home theatre but i have no real use for them... so actual performance of them doesnt matter to me at all, its either have some fun with them or give them to a mate..
And sorry that last part didnt confuse me, my mini hifi system i have have holes that kinda act like a passive fan at times xD

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
enclosures are to increase loudness, just like horn in a brass instrument.
also its made so that the rear soundwaves, wont travel out, and intract with the front facing waves.
they are out of phase, therefore the box is needed to keep the unwanted sound in without any resonsance.

the spaces in the cabinet are sometimes used to fit in other electronics such as crossovers.

p1n3apqlexpr3ss

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
Well it turned out to be a bit of a fail tbh... Behind that plastic covering is well more plastic... industrially glued to the wood... took a hammer to it... just for fun to see what it would do... particle board splits... oh well at least i still have the cones and woofer and all that in tact :D

Might take more intelligent approach to the other one...

Status
Not open for further replies.