2k deleted network files??!!

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
i appologize ahead of time for the double pos, but this is extremely important. i added the president of the school i work at to the network on a new machine and now every one of her old files is gone. she was on a win95 machine and i replaced that with a laptop running 2k. does anyone know where her old files are? has anyone heard of this happening before?

....the birds seemed to be calling him, thought caw....

jasen

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2001
We need more info. Added her how? Created an account on an active directory domain and joined her new laptop to that domain?
And more importantly, where were her files before this? On the server? Where on the server? Does her new account have access to where the old files were kept? etc.

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
well, she was on a 95 machine... i physically unplugged it and plugged in the 2k laptop. when it booted up, i went into the admin account and added the machine to the network. then i rebooted and she logged on and everything was gone from her user folder which was on the server. there is nothing left from the old folder.... she still had her mapped drive to the user folder and everything.... just no more files... i just dont get it.

jasen

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2001
I don't think anything was deleted, I think it's mapping a different folder. She was on the domain on the 95 machine? How is this share being mapped, by hand or by a script on the server? If you have admin access to the server, log on to it and verify the exact paths. hell, do a find for a filename that you know used to exist and see where it comes up. I'm positive it's a problem of messsed up drive mappings, W2k server doesn't just delete files. If you have to, plug the old one back in somewhere and see where the files reside exactly.

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
thats a good idea about hooking the old one back up..... i actually did a search for all 30+ individually, of her files and nothing came up.... i searched the entire network, not just the server and her workstation.