HP 842c deskjet

ernemmer

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Hello,
I installed new cartridges and when I do a test page I get greens and yellows in the logo - I have done every part of troubleshooting I know along with cleaning and internal testing. I contacted HP and check for damaged cartridges. What I need to know is the correct settings in the advanced mode - someone else might have changed those settings and I don't know how to get them back.
Thank you in advance.

JayOldridge

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010

Exactly what did you clean? I have used an HP of this kind for years. When I ran into this problem, I knew that my heads were either dirty or damaged. Pure green alcohol is good to use with q-tips with a VERY tightly wound cotton top. Also, with the same method, reclean the bottom of your printer, and the heads of the cartridges, which seem to be contaminated now. Your problem, if I hear you right, is crossover ink smear. Also check your red and blue heads and contacts closely. Clean thoroughly with a lintless, tightly wound q-tip swab dipped in green alcohol and wrung out. Always wear thin plastic gloves when doing this. Good luck. Crossover can mess up the heads and contacts permanently. If this is true and you refill yourself, you might have to flush the cartridges with hot denture cleanser, let them and the heads and contacts dry out thoroughly, then refill your carts. Good luck.
After 12 years of great use, I have switched to an Epson printer, as the old days of good office HP's such as ours are gone. Even Wal-Mart does not want to carry the carts for this printer anymore, and Cartridge World hates the color cart. Let me know if I can help. Jay

ernemmer

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Thank you Jay for your response..I will use your advice and see what happens.

Thank you
Beth
(ernemmer)