virus or something crazy

BeZ

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
ok i turn on the comp, im chatting, and all the sudden the screen turns like green with lines and the cursor turns into a block and everythings flashing in like 16 colours.
[like someome poured coffee into the monitor] so im scared now.. and im doing experiments ..for instance, when i turn on msn messenger, it seems to be causing this- nothing else so far. i sure hope its not my bloody 9700 being broken cause it put me on welfare. anyway i also changed the fsb to 133 because it went down to 100 for some gay ass reason.

could this be a virus? or hardware? or cpu? im stumped

hellodeadcat

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2003
Have you tried reinstalling your vid card driver? Try that and also check your temps. To rule out temperature: make sure the room is cool, open up the side of the case and blast everything with a housefan to see if still is causeing problems. If your fsb went down by itself, this could be a thermal protection mechanism of your mobo to lower the cpu clock speed and reduce the temperature.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by hellodeadcat on 05/13/03 11:14 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

rcj187

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
if you give us your specs we may be able to help. if you dot give any info about your system its very difficult for us to makean informed suggestion on your problem.
when did this problemstart happening? did you change/upgrade anything just before it started? if you did i would suggest that that was the problem. if not it may be ram graphics card or drivers.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
I had weird green lines while trying to play Medieval Total War on my old Asus A7V333 Based system.

I seem to recall it was fixed by installing the latest VIA 'hyperion'[sp?] 4-in-1 drivers. If you have a VIA chipset, give that a go.

failing that, vid card drivers.

* The Gay-Ass-reason it went down to 100FSB was probably it booted in 'safe' mode.

---
:smile: :tongue: :smile:

BeZ

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
ecs elite group k7s5a board
1800+ xp
256 ddr
radeon 9700
sb live gamer 5.1
princeton ultra 72 monitor 17"
40 gig 7200 ibm

speeduk

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
I have a similar thing happen when i play grand prix 4 for a while, the game crashes and i get coloured lines and a messed up screen, i press ESC and i get the bsod and have to restart. btw i have a 9700 pro.... Just one of those incompatibilities i think

speeduk

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
Its a very rare thing. Most probably a driver problem, i just kinda put up with it coz it hardly ever happens and it only happens with very few games.

I remember lord of the rings and mafia did the same thing and ATI fixed the issue.

BeZ

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
damnit, this really sucks cause it doesn't just happen in games. i formatted and it happened again. the last thing i remember changing to the computer was the fsb setting to 133\133 cause it was at 100 and my computer was running slow. ANYONEEE plzzz

shadus

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2003
Try the cat 3.2 drivers first see if the problem persists, if it does, try the 3.4 drivers and see if those fly... if neither of those fix the problem you may be having an issue with your monitor cable of some kind (short) or your monitor itself may be dying. I've seen weirder things happen when they die.

Shadus

hellodeadcat

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2003
Try updating your moniter driver. I have a viewsonic P95f+ and whenever I update the videocard driver (9500pro... bios modded for overclocking, but did it even before that.. now my computer thinks it has a 9700pro) I have to reinstall the moniter driver or I get horrid screen resizing issues. This is a real longshot, but maybe it will work. Took me a bit to figure out that it was messing up my moniter driver each time I updated the videocard driver.

BeZ

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
ok ive changed nothing for the last year except for the fsb. IT has to be something crapping out on me. I just hope its not my vcard

TRENDING THREADS