Sign in with
Your question

Browsers crashing on release preview

Last response: in Windows 8
June 2, 2012 10:55:23 AM

hi all,
I have installed rp yesterday and since then google chrome and safari are crashing after 5-10 mins,
whatever I do , plz help me , I haven't installed any extension to both of them , I really like google chrome , safari is not a problem for me as well but now I can only use ie .
after the browser crashes(actually it hangs) for 10-15 seconds I can use windows , nothing happens if I take my mouse to top left or right , cant run apps , explorer hangs , no apps can be launched and ultimately it freezes.
plz help
a b * Windows 8
June 2, 2012 2:48:38 PM

Hello helpy;

That's not normal.
I'm using latest Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer, with all my favorite extensions, without a problem.

Is IE running OK?
m
l
a b * Windows 8
June 2, 2012 2:49:56 PM

On the Metro Start page you can right mouse click on IE and choose Pin to Taskbar to have it available on your Desktop.
m
l
Related resources
June 2, 2012 3:13:51 PM

lol I know how to ping to taskbar , anyways this means only I am facing this , idk why this is happening , I can browse for hours on ie but not on chrome or safari , I'll try an reinstall....
m
l
a b * Windows 8
June 2, 2012 3:14:33 PM

How about trying a Chrome re-install first?
m
l
June 2, 2012 3:39:04 PM

I don't think installation was a problem , cuz its happening with both safari and chrome....
m
l
a b * Windows 8
June 2, 2012 3:42:16 PM

Try uninstalling Safari and re-installing Chrome.
Just 'cause its a lot faster and easier than an OS reinstall.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
June 2, 2012 3:44:36 PM

In the Customer Preview I had a strange annoying issue with Live Mail and Yahoo Messenger.
After a reboot, neither one would work right. I ended up needing to re-install Yahoo Messenger to get both working right.
Wasn't more than annoying, luckily I only reboot once every couple of weeks.
m
l
June 2, 2012 4:30:14 PM

i have reinstalled chrome...
it seems to be working just fine.
i'll tell if it crashes again.
Thanks anyway.
m
l
June 2, 2012 5:23:17 PM

i am not sure but seems it solved the problem.
still i didnt understand why safari also crashed windows in the same way :S
m
l
a b * Windows 8
June 2, 2012 5:32:16 PM

Have you rebooted yet?

If you have it running well, with all your extensions working and you avoided an OS reinstall, that's a pretty good day's troubleshhooting.
m
l
June 2, 2012 6:33:19 PM

it crashed again , after that i reset windows 8 (not reinstall) havent installed anything else yet and wont until i am crazy sure that google chrome is stable now.
btw when it crashed i had opened youtube and i didnt do anything on it for about 2 mins . also the video was finished. strange :SS
m
l
June 2, 2012 6:39:23 PM

it has f***ing crashed again.
I am really very annoyed now.
I am off to sleep now.
tomorrow I'll reinstall chrome and I will not sign in that time
m
l
June 2, 2012 7:37:34 PM

Try turning on the task manager, select the "Performance" tab, and then push it over to the side so you can watch this while you're running Chrome. If your problem is the one I and some other folks have seen, you will notice that the freeze happens when your system drive suddenly jumps to 100% busy but no actual read or write is taking place. If you are patient (sometimes several minutes) the drive finally wakes up and moves on.

If this describes you, the "simple" fix is to go to your Advanced Settings, and remove your paging file from all drives. If you have at least 3 gigs of RAM this will probably actually speed up your system, and seems to eliminate the freezes. Current theory is that when the browser requests something from the cache it is causing Windows to try and page the current tab's memory, and that causes some kind of conflict.
m
l
June 3, 2012 10:37:13 AM

I was hoping this would resolve the issue but it hasn't. I have 16gb of RAM and normally run without a page file but had forgotten to turn it off after my clean install of the release preview but as I say all (by which I mean Chrome, Firefox and IE10) browsers are crashing - apparently at random points although it could be download related. Difficult to get more than 10 mins without a freeze of the browser, which then leads to a freeze of Windows (Task Manger) won't load and this can only be sorted by manually powering down.

I'm going to try putting a small Page File on my data disk, but I'm not holding out much hope.

The PC will do anything else, processor intensive or not (encoding video for instance) for hours and never crash - its just when using a browser. Never happened with the Consumer Preview.

Any other suggestions gratefully received - other wise its back to Windows 7, which I really would prefer not to do.
m
l
June 3, 2012 11:03:32 AM

ok disabled pagefile. i'll try again.
m
l
June 3, 2012 1:48:24 PM

i dint its not only the browsers that are crashing.
today vlc media player and dvdvideosoft manager also crashed.
so I think its problem with the windows 8 hardware management.
my hardware is:-
1)Intel i5-2500k
2)MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III PE/OC (it's unlocked but I don't think that matters) without drivers.
3)8 GB 1333mhz RAM
4)Intel DH67BL
5)Seagate 250GB HDD

m
l
June 3, 2012 4:46:59 PM

helpy said:
i dint its not only the browsers that are crashing.
today vlc media player and dvdvideosoft manager also crashed.
so I think its problem with the windows 8 hardware management.
my hardware is:-
1)Intel i5-2500k
2)MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III PE/OC (it's unlocked but I don't think that matters) without drivers.
3)8 GB 1333mhz RAM
4)Intel DH67BL
5)Seagate 250GB HDD

I presume you have downloaded and installed the Intel Chipset drivers:
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=...

which can sometimes help when things turn out to be the other supporting chips having timing or other issues.

On the RAM, I presume from the amount and speed that your motherboard is dual channel and this is two chips or four chips? I've seen odd things happen with even RAM amounts on triple channel...

Beyond those two things, I would suggest looking through the event viewer to see if you have any hardware related warnings or errors to at least narrow down your search.
m
l
June 5, 2012 11:11:06 AM

today ie(desktop) also crashed. so i am back to chrome.
if windows crashes , i'll post the event log .
m
l
June 5, 2012 11:32:36 AM

the system did crash.but there was nothing in event logs except unexpected shutdown
m
l
a b * Windows 8
June 5, 2012 11:37:08 AM

What AV software package do you have installed?

Any other software or apps you carried over, and that are always running, maybe with related proccesses in the background, that might not be one of the mainstream software packages?
m
l
June 5, 2012 12:27:38 PM

I installed Intel chipset device software and Intel management engine 8 thought i think chipset device software solved the issue. I installed drivers cuz i noticed there was no driver for sm bus or something like that.
Now i think that the problem is solved
m
l
June 5, 2012 12:59:54 PM

it seems installing Driver has solved the problem.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
June 5, 2012 1:03:25 PM

Do you know which driver did the trick?
m
l
June 5, 2012 1:06:42 PM

none , it crashed again :( 
m
l
July 4, 2012 10:10:27 AM

Helpy, I have the EXACT same problem as you. When I try to explain it to others they just drone on with a bunch of crap, thinking they have a clue. But none of them have any idea what I'm actually talking about. I looked for ages on the net for another person with this problem, FINALLY I found your post.

PLEASE tell me you found a way to fix this problem? I've reinstalled windows, reinstalled browsers, reinstalled display drivers. NOTHING works.

The problem never happened on Consumer Preview for me. Did Microsoft REALLY package a Release Preview that is less stable than the consumer preview? If so, they're morons.

Anyway if you found a way to fix it please tell me, youll be my hero.
m
l
July 4, 2012 10:10:54 AM

forgot to turn mail notification on
m
l
July 6, 2012 3:31:37 PM

try these :-
adf . ly /AQ3uC
adf . ly /AQ3uD
adf . ly /AQ3uE

remove spaces
m
l
November 20, 2012 5:28:06 PM

Hi I am also having same problem with windows 8 pro 64bit crashing on browser, I have tried chrome and ie10. Have done clean install twice. It's is m17x r1.
m
l
December 3, 2012 7:13:10 AM

I've the same problem as other people here are having : after installing win8 pro (upgrading from 7) the computer started crashing with web browsers,well,more its more like the computer FREEZES,forcing me to press the power button.

as others,i also updated every drivers i could find with no resaults.

whats more frustrating is,again, as others already said,seems like no one is able to understand this problem
Quote:
When I try to explain it to others they just drone on with a bunch of crap, thinking they have a clue. But none of them have any idea what I'm actually talking about.

Using alienware m17x r4
m
l
December 3, 2012 7:15:42 AM

I've the same problem as other people here are having : after installing win8 pro (upgrading from 7) the computer started crashing with web browsers,well,more its more like the computer FREEZES,forcing me to press the power button.

as others,i also updated every drivers i could find with no resaults.

whats more frustrating is,again, as others already said,seems like no one is able to understand this problem
Quote:
When I try to explain it to others they just drone on with a bunch of crap, thinking they have a clue. But none of them have any idea what I'm actually talking about.

Using alienware m17x r4
m
l
April 15, 2013 12:45:02 PM

I am having this exact issue as well! No matter where I look, I get the same advice, "Check your drivers".

I have checked my drivers, I have checked for viruses, rootkits, trojans; I have run memory tests, HDD diagnostics, chkdsk, SFC; I have done registry checks, defrag'd, optimized my startup/disk/registry; I've even disabled SuperFetch and Pagefile. Nothing. Nothing. My laptop, with the exception of a bum battery, is healthy.

I've checked to make sure my RAM was properly seated, thinking maybe my laptop got jostled while I was going to TSA a few weeks ago and a stick got knocked loose; Nothing.

I am using a Dell Inspiron 1545 (DxDiag below) with Windows 8 Pro

Pretty much the same symptoms, I'll be using my laptop for a seemingly random amount of time and then, when I am using a browser (It's happened with Chrome, Firefox and IE), shit will crash. I'll get a system freeze for what feels like forever, forcing me to do a hard restart. Event logs don't say jack about it. It happens in Safe Mode. It's happened to me before, too, this time last year, but with Windows 7 Pro. I cannot remember how I fixed it then.

If anyone has a solution, please, for the love of all that's holy, please post your solution here.

DxDiag: http://pastebin.com/wHF7bX1u
m
l
!