madrake linux

clembot

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2002
Hi everyone. I'm new to the linux world, and I was thinking of getting madrake linux 8.2 standard edition. Is this the best for a beginner like me? Or should I think about another distribution, like debian or red hat?

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
the good thing about linux, most of them are free. so if you don't feel comfortable with one, you can always try another.
both redhat and mandrake are good distros for begginers....there is no "best" distro, it all depends upon the user. try them both of them and see which you like better......another choice is SuSE (my personal choice), but like i said, everyone is different.

Disregard my previous post.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Yeah, turn on the "show post threads" to about 50 or so. Your topic will come up first page.

And, the absolute bottom line here is, whichever Linux distro. installs for you without a hitch is the one you want to go with. All the other differences are quite nearly cosmetic.

Mandrake is a good start. I'd tell you differently if you were trying out Slackware or something akin.

And "free" in Linux doesn't mean quite what everyone posts, although it is so close as to be negligable.

"Free" in Linux means you *MUST* distribute the source code. So that others can be "free" to change it as they see fit. It does not, specifically, mean the program must cost you $0.00 as far as money goes.

But, if people can change/distribute the source, that would mean it would be "legal piracy", hence it's free. In the world of Linux, piracy means you are distributing source code with your name on it, but you did not actually code the source program.

Semantics, semantics...

C@lling it like I c it...

rollingrock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2001
You are misinterpreting the GPL. You must distribute the source code *ONLY* if you modifiy it _and_ distribute. You are completely free to do whatever you want with GPLed code if you are not distributing it. If I worked at a company and wanted to use some GPLed code for internal use, but it didnt do something that I needed it to do and I didnt want to tell anybody else about the changes I made, I am well within my rights to make those changes for internal company use. The distinction only comes when I try to turn around and redistribute this.

So, in fact linux is 100% free to end users. (well aside from the negligible cost of a blank cd-r or two and internet access to download the ISOs)

I've taken more good from alcohol than alcohol has taken from me --Twain