XP Activation

A friend of mine had some files on their computer corrupted and they couldn't
find their copy of XP that came with their computer, so I used mine to just
do a system repair. I've done repairs before on my own system and it didn't
ask me to activate it, so I thought this would help solve the problem.
Unfortunatly, it is asking for an activation and we still can't find my
friends copy. Is all hope lost? or is there something else I should try
first? Both of us have valid copies of XP, so I didn't expect to have this
many problems by just doing a system repair. Thanks in advance
9 answers Last reply
More about activation

    Only way you are going to solve the problem is to
    contact the manufacturer of your friend's computer
    and order the correct reinstallation or restore CD
    and use it with the Product Key that came with
    the computer.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Jay <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >A friend of mine had some files on their computer corrupted and they couldn't
    >find their copy of XP that came with their computer, so I used mine to just
    >do a system repair. I've done repairs before on my own system and it didn't
    >ask me to activate it, so I thought this would help solve the problem.
    >Unfortunatly, it is asking for an activation and we still can't find my
    >friends copy. Is all hope lost? or is there something else I should try
    >first? Both of us have valid copies of XP, so I didn't expect to have this
    >many problems by just doing a system repair. Thanks in advance

    Were both copies the same version (Home or Pro)?
    Were both copies the same type (OEM, Retail, Volume License,
    Academic)?

    Which product key did you use when doing the Repair Install - yours or
    his?

    If your CD worked with his product key then both were from the same
    version and type of Windows XP. However if your OEM CD was for an SLP
    (BIOS Locked) version that does not require activation when installed
    on a motherboard from that specific OEM then the situation you have
    encountered will result.

    The only fix is to redo the repair install using his product key and
    his CD.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    What happens if you try to activate it online?

    Alias

    "Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

    >A friend of mine had some files on their computer corrupted and they
    >couldn't
    > find their copy of XP that came with their computer, so I used mine to
    > just
    > do a system repair. I've done repairs before on my own system and it
    > didn't
    > ask me to activate it, so I thought this would help solve the problem.
    > Unfortunatly, it is asking for an activation and we still can't find my
    > friends copy. Is all hope lost? or is there something else I should try
    > first? Both of us have valid copies of XP, so I didn't expect to have
    > this
    > many problems by just doing a system repair. Thanks in advance

    The person tells me that it is not a valid activation number.

    "Alias" wrote:

    > What happens if you try to activate it online?
    >
    > Alias
    >
    > "Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    >
    > >A friend of mine had some files on their computer corrupted and they
    > >couldn't
    > > find their copy of XP that came with their computer, so I used mine to
    > > just
    > > do a system repair. I've done repairs before on my own system and it
    > > didn't
    > > ask me to activate it, so I thought this would help solve the problem.
    > > Unfortunatly, it is asking for an activation and we still can't find my
    > > friends copy. Is all hope lost? or is there something else I should try
    > > first? Both of us have valid copies of XP, so I didn't expect to have
    > > this
    > > many problems by just doing a system repair. Thanks in advance

    That's because you used the incorrect CD to reinstall with.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Jay wrote:
    > The person tells me that it is not a valid activation number.

    What person?

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt

    I didn't think that for a simple repair you needed the original disk. I
    thought that since there was a valid copy of XP already on the system that
    the disk that I used didn't matter. I thought you only needed the original
    disk for a fresh install, not a repair of a system with some corrupt files.

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    > That's because you used the incorrect CD to reinstall with.
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Jay" wrote:
    >
    > | The person tells me that it is not a valid activation number.

    There are two versions of XP. XP Home and XP Pro. Each have three
    different sets of CD Keys: OEM, Full Retail and Upgrade Retail. You can
    not use OEM with Retail CD Keys and you can not use Retail software with OEM
    key.

    I know that there is a special file that contain a code where it tells the
    "Setup.exe" process what type of installation (OEM or Retail). If you mix
    this up, you may get what you got now.

    "Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I didn't think that for a simple repair you needed the original disk. I
    > thought that since there was a valid copy of XP already on the system that
    > the disk that I used didn't matter. I thought you only needed the
    > original
    > disk for a fresh install, not a repair of a system with some corrupt
    > files.
    >
    > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> That's because you used the incorrect CD to reinstall with.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Carey Frisch
    >> Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP - Shell/User
    >> Microsoft Newsgroups

    >> "Jay" wrote:
    >>
    >> | The person tells me that it is not a valid activation number.

    That file is Setupp.Ini, located in the i386 folder and uses a Pid string
    with a value that identifies the disk. You'll find a few websites that
    discuss modifying it for Windows 2000. But with XP changing the
    values will cause issues with Key validation and Activation, so it's
    best to leave it alone.

    > There are two versions of XP. XP Home and XP Pro. Each have three
    > different sets of CD Keys: OEM, Full Retail and Upgrade Retail. You can
    > not use OEM with Retail CD Keys and you can not use Retail software with
    > OEM key.
    >
    > I know that there is a special file that contain a code where it tells the
    > "Setup.exe" process what type of installation (OEM or Retail). If you mix
    > this up, you may get what you got now.
    >

    > "Jay" <Jay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>I didn't think that for a simple repair you needed the original disk. I
    >> thought that since there was a valid copy of XP already on the system
    >> that
    >> the disk that I used didn't matter. I thought you only needed the
    >> original
    >> disk for a fresh install, not a repair of a system with some corrupt
    >> files.
    >>
    >> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:
    >>
    >>> That's because you used the incorrect CD to reinstall with.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Carey Frisch
    >>> Microsoft MVP
    >>> Windows XP - Shell/User