Sign in with
Your question

1920x1200 monitor 1080p 720p washed out

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
March 11, 2010 11:12:09 AM

Hello,ive got a hp 2408h 16:10 monitor i use for gaming on ps3 and pc. I found going from pc full screen to letterboxed mode on ps3 was annoying me as getting used to one then changing is a bit jarring.I decided to try running my pc games in 16:9 but noticed the colour looked really washed out, the saturation and contrast looked really poor in comparison. Now I wonder if my ps3 games have been looking worse than they should, if hdtv signals generally have worse colour or if the letterboxing somehow drains black levels(is this possible?). Does anyone have any insight on this? Im considering a 16:9 tv but am reluctant if means sacrificing quality by a great deal.Thanks in advance.
a b α HP
a c 195 C Monitor
March 11, 2010 12:22:08 PM

Could be a driver issue so try uninstall then reinstall. Check your cable as well.

Changing aspect ratio / resolution shouldn't have that effect.
March 11, 2010 1:51:00 PM

jaguarskx said:
Could be a driver issue so try uninstall then reinstall. Check your cable as well.

Checked cables, seem fine, updated driver (option to uninstall driver said advanced so was wary as im not) problem still there. It seems to be something to do with black levels on the progressive scan signals.A good reference is the start screen for cod 4 mw.When i use 1440x900 1680x1050 the dark parts look black but if i use 720p 1080p they look grey.
Related resources
March 12, 2010 1:40:50 AM

jaguarskx said:

Just to let you know i solved the problem.I changed the colour setting in my graphics card control panel from rgb to ycbcr 444, proper blacks and more saturation. Thanks for the suggestion
March 13, 2010 8:52:35 AM

PS3 does not support 16:10 LCD monitors. I know this because I ran into a problem with my PS3 running on my Samsung 16:10 LCD and the picture was not sharp as it should, I also encountered other issues running on a 16:10. I even phoned Sony about this and they don't have plans on supporting 16:10 monitors, Sony said PS3's main focus was designed for HD 16:9 as the main market for them. So I went and picked up a LG 23" 16:9 LCD and use it for my computer and PS3. I have no problems running games on my 16:9.

This will be the new push for computer gaming. All my games support 16:9 even the old runs and I have plenty of them. I can go on about this topic and be more technical but figured I will only address the main issue you requested for help.

Also, I recommend you always run your LCD as it's native built-in resolution or colors can be washed out etc. I would look into 16:9 LCDs if you want to take full advantage of your PS3.

Good luck mate
March 14, 2010 1:44:40 AM

zanora said:
PS3 does not support 16:10 LCD monitors. I know this because I ran into a problem with my PS3 running on my Samsung 16:10 LCD and the picture was not sharp as it should, I also encountered other issues running on a 16:10. I even phoned Sony about this and they don't have plans on supporting 16:10 monitors, Sony said PS3's main focus was designed for HD 16:9 as the main market for them. So I went and picked up a LG 23" 16:9 LCD and use it for my computer and PS3. I have no problems running games on my 16:9.

This will be the new push for computer gaming. All my games support 16:9 even the old runs and I have plenty of them. I can go on about this topic and be more technical but figured I will only address the main issue you requested for help.

Also, I recommend you always run your LCD as it's native built-in resolution or colors can be washed out etc. I would look into 16:9 LCDs if you want to take full advantage of your PS3.

Good luck mate

Thanks for the tip but this was not the issue. The fill to aspect ratio setting on my monitor at 1080p provides one to one pixel mapping and with switching the rgb range on my ps3 (which id already set to full) to limited and back gave me the idea of looking for a colour/contrast scale control. On the nvidia control panel for my card there were only two options, rgb and ycbcr 444. Ycbcr 444 seems to be a wider scale from black to white (equivalent to rgb full range). I researched a while ago about the aspect ratio of the ps3 and was a little disappointed to find no 16:10 support. I recently measured my screen in fill to aspect ratio mode at 16:9 and discovered there was just over half an inch corner to corner loss, this doesnt bother me as a 23 and half inch screen suits my setup well, Id prefer full screen but am happy with what ive got for the moment. Might consider a screen capable of hd at 120hz for 3d in the future but for now im content. Thanks for the advice though.
!