thermal compound

okietex

Distinguished
May 1, 2003
since i am new at this (built one pc about 2yrs ago and messed around with them quite a bit) -- but I am building a new system with a P4 2.8/800mhz and am wondering if there is "special" thermal compound or thermal grease that I should try to use or should I just go down to BestBuy and pick up their Antec Silver stuff??

thanks.

Auburn9698

Champion
Artic Silver III is generally considered the most "special" around here, but that stuff should work fine. Heck, it might even be the same stuff, just rebranded. Not sure. Maybe someone who knows for sure will chime in.

<font color=red>Breaking News:</font color=red> God expelled from Netherlands; not good enough. Details to come.
<font color=blue>War</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Eagle</font color=orange><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Auburn9698 on 05/14/03 11:53 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

okietex

Distinguished
May 1, 2003
Just to make me more confused on this matter -- if I have a PENTIUM 4 2.8c Ghz CPU, do I need the "thermal compound" at all? On the bottom of my "retail" heatsink, it has a "black" square and the Intel tech support said that it was my thermal piece and that it would work just fine.

Can someone confirm for me if this is OK?
Or, should i take this black piece of thermal whatever it is off and apply "thermal compound" ??
Or, if I get another Heatsink/Fan -- I guess, I would need to apply the "thermal compound" (maybe?)??

sorry 'bout this .. hadn't done an Intel cpu before -- just an AMD and it wasn't like this.

thanks.

Auburn9698

Champion
Well, you do need one or the other, but not both. Lots of folks around here will tell you that the compounds perform better than the thermal pads.

Your choice may affect your warranty, technically. Of course, <i>if</i> you can get the pad off cleanly and save it in case you have to send the CPU back, who's gonna know. Have you read yours? I haven't seen a retail Intel warranty lately, but I know AMD's talks about this.

Oh, and if you use the compound, don't use much. Just barely enough to cover with a thin layer.

<font color=red>Breaking News:</font color=red> God expelled from Netherlands; not good enough. Details to come.
<font color=blue>War</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Eagle</font color=orange><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Auburn9698 on 05/14/03 02:29 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

okietex

Distinguished
May 1, 2003
hey auburn,
i haven't read the warranty. I'll have to look again but I the little book that came with my retail box isn't a warranty -- but maybe it's just small. I don't know - will have to look again and re-read.
I think I'll just stick with stock for now -- and if I move to a 3rd party heatsink/fan then maybe go with the thermal compound.

and - do you mean a "thin layer" to cover the entire processor or just a "dab" and then it will expand out and cover itself against the heatsink? I know on the AMD you just dab that center piece and all is good ... and don't put too much from what i understand. But the Intel is just flat ...

thanks.

peter21

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
Don't bother getting the Artic Silver just use hte pad that is on your Heatsink already. Unless you overclocking(and even then it doesn't make a huge difference)there is no need to bother with the Artic Silver.

--------
The only thing that i truly know...

is that i know nothing at all.