Densun

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I just installed a Duron 1300 with a Microflow II fan into my A7V motherboard. The computer will boot up, but it won't start loading of the OS. It stops right before that should happen. I think the part says "PCI list" and gives a table listing several things. Right after it prints that part, it usually makes the noise when checking the 3.5 floppy drive but now it doesn't. I checked the IDE cables and they're fine, and the BIOS detects the floppy drive.

What should I check? Are there known conflicts between certain hardware and Duron's?

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
It's definately not a CPU related problem. The mobo might be guilty here

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new"> My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new"> My Rig</A></b>

confoundicator

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2002
Could be bad memory too. I had a similar problem and ended up re-installing the OS overtop of itself and then reformatting, repartitioning and re-installing the OS again before I tried taking out a DIMM and it fired right up.

<font color=blue>-What if the Hokey-Pokey really <i>is</i> what it's all about?</font color=blue>

Densun

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I forgot to mention that I'm upgrading from an Athlon 800, so I know this system works. I haven't tried reverting to the old CPU yet.

I checked the memory, but it seems to be fine.

I now remember that I reset the BIOS settings to the default, which may be causing problems with finding boot devices. I've had problems with the Promise Ultra ATA-100 before in that it doesn't seem to get detected by the BIOS, but it has worked. I tried making it boot with only the CD drive with W2K inside (the BIOS finds this drive), but it's not doing anything either.

Densun

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I look through all the settings in the BIOS and everything seems to be right, and I made sure the hard drive is has the right jumper setting, but it's still not using any boot device.

What's a multiplier and how do I check that?

I'm thinking about putting the old CPU back in to see if it works again. The new fan I put in had thermal paste on bottom of it. Does it matter if I take it off and put it back on without reapplying anything?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
As I recall, your board offeres both hardware (by jumper) and software (by BIOS) multiplier control. You can check your manual to see what multipliers are available by jumper. You should set it to Auto, where the mutliplier will be adjusted in BIOS. Also, setting the wrong multiplier by jumper can make an AMD system with a "locked" CPU refuse to boot.

The correct multiplier for your Duron is 13x, or "Auto".

<font color=blue>Watts mean squat if you don't have quality!</font color=blue>

Densun

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've now put my old CPU back in and the computer works. Is it normal for a computer to boot part way (like mine does with the new CPU) with a CPU that's too fast for the motherboard? I noticed that the boot stops right before it normally says ESCD updated. I don't know if that has any meaning to the problem.

I'll check those mulitplier controls. Could underclocking help?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There isn't a problem of "CPU too fast for board", but if it's a multiplier problem, the only way underclocking could help is if you unlocked the CPU and changed the multiplier. Of course it could be a more generic problem, like not enough power to the CPU from the power supply.

Densun

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I found out that 12.5 is the highest multiplier supported. Does that mean I'll need a new board? I've never dealt with CPU settings, so sorry if that's a dumb question.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'd try and buy a Duron 1200 or Athlon 1200 with "200" bus for your board. You could sell your Duron 1300. Is there any way for you to return it?

I certainly wouldn't bother buying a new board just to get a 100MHz advantage. Another option is "unlocking" the CPU multiplier on the chip itself and running a 12.5x multiplier, you can find out about that in the Overclocking>CPU forum.

Densun

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I can't return the CPU, and I'm not sure it's worth selling because it cost only $36. I might look into unlocking the CPU multiplier, though.

skligmund

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2002
Sorry dude, you can't unlock the 1300. The 1200 yes, not 1300. It has some sort of built in locking, so even painting/cutting the bridges doesn't effect anything. Believe me, I have spent months on trying to get my 1300 to do something. You can overclock the FSB though, I had it running at 1436 (or something like that) just by increasing the FSB.

So don't waste your time on trying to unlock the DURON 1300, Tom's hardware, nor anybody else in this forum, has accomplished that feat. Sorry bout that.

What are we going to do tonight Brain?
The same thing we do every night Pinky; <b>Try to take over the world!</b>

TRENDING THREADS