Your question

Help! Constant Rebooting Help!

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Powersupply
Last response: in CPUs
May 15, 2003 12:13:06 AM

Hello.

Okay so my comp is continually rebooting or going to a blank screen. I have no clue as to what the hell the problem is as this comes sporadically and is readily fixed by a simple reboot.

Sometimes when I reboot A message comes up saying...

"Hardware moniter found a problem" check power settings for details.

Now I have an asus a7v333 and a 300 watt powersupply and im thinking maybe my generic powersupply is finally coping out on me. I have no way to test this and frankly I dont think its windows. My bios is up to date as well as all my drivers. No major changes to system settings were made prior to the errors occuring.

My system specs are..

Athalon Xp 1800
Geforce 4 4600
80G maxtor HD
768Mb Kingston pc2700 Ram
Asus a7v333 motherboard
3 Internal vanteck stealth fans
300 watt generic powersupply
Moniter... Um cicero I think

Anyways If anyone has a clue as to what the hell that error means or how I can stop the dam rebooting I would seriously appreciate the help.

Thanks guys!

More about : constant rebooting

May 15, 2003 7:01:20 AM

Your powersupply is boarderline for that system I'd suggest at least a 350 watt or better still 400 watt one to be safe.
May 15, 2003 7:47:16 AM

Any idea what your CPU and/or case temperatures are?

Chances are, your computer's hardware monitor is picking up one of the following: a slow fan; high CPU temperatures (possibly caused, also, by slow fan); or, as you mentioned, weird voltages caused by a crap/stressed PSU (Power Supply Unit.

The reboots could be caused by: a hot CPU, hence it restarts often; stressed/aged power-supply - I saved and solved a few problems after getting my Enermax 430W PSU. Admittingly, I bedgrudged paying the premium for it at the time, but I feel it is worth it now.

Let us know what temps/voltages you have. A simple screenshot of a <A HREF="http://mbm.livewiredev.com/" target="_new">Motherboard Monitor</A> screen would help a lot.

Anyhow, I have to rush out now. So let us know your temps and voltages. Goodluck.

<font color=orange><b>Some people don't realise that a mere two hours backing up their data is far quicker than redoing all the work again!</b></font color=orange>