Sign in with
Your question

Sound/Modem Driver Problems after Windows 7 upgrade/Gateway MX6421

Last response: in Windows 7
October 26, 2012 12:29:00 PM

After an upgrade from Windows XP to Windows Vista 32 (all drivers, modem, audio, etc. found on Gateway support windows vista 86/64)to Windows Business N 64 I cannot find certain drivers that are compatible with Win 7. I have tried the win vista 64 drivers with no luck. I have searched, for two days, for drivers AC '97 2.3 Compliant Audio (Conexant Audio 6.14.10.0575 from Gateway website), and the PCI Modem (Conexant 7.22.0.0 1.4 MB 08/03/2010) do not work. I searched the Conexant website for drivers, again no luck. I have read different site with computers with similar issues, but no solutions.
Other than that, after a HDD upgrade, 2GB memory upgrade this old machine, supprising, it runs very good. If someone reads this and can offer help, other than what I have tried, Gateway Website, Conexant Website, Realtek etc. Perhaps someone has solved this problem?
At my wits end, literally.

Gateway MX 6421
Windows 7 Business N 64 Bit
Audio_Conexant-Driver Issue
Modem_Conexant-Driver Issue
CardReader_TI_- Driver Issue

a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
October 26, 2012 4:49:04 PM

To get it straight as to what you want , your looking for drivers for the AC-97 sound chip on your motherboard ?
I had a somewhat similar issue with looking for a driver for a sound chip on a motherboard that wasn't listed any more and also the drivers were no where to be found. But I needed the driver for the sound chip so I went to the manufacturer of the board that I had and looked through the list of motherboards that were there untill I found one that had a similar sound chip and I downloaded the driver and it worked.
m
l
October 26, 2012 9:27:50 PM

That maybe the issue, I used the Gateway website to load the audio,modem(Conexant),( Listed as Conexant/TI on Gateway site), card reader(TI) when I upgraded to Vista, worked like a charm. When I upgraded to Win7 64 the Gateway site does not offer drivers for Win7 so I tried the Vista 64 with no luck. I have searched for three days for a "work-around" with no success. Have any ideas?
It's a old Gateway MX6421 works well with Win7 64 but ths sound, modem, card reader drivers. If I could get the sound to work I would be happy.
m
l
Related resources
October 26, 2012 9:51:43 PM

Motherboard
Manufacturer Gateway
Version 3402558
Chipset Vendor ATI
Chipset Model Xpress 200 (RS480)
Chipset Revision 10
Southbridge Vendor ATI
Southbridge Model SB400
Southbridge Revision 00
System Temperature 142 °F
BIOS
Brand Phoenix Technologies LTD
Version 68.05
Date 04/16/07
PCI Data
Slot PCI
Slot Type PCI
Slot Usage Unknown
Bus Width 32 bit
Slot Designation MiniPCI Slot J20
Slot Number 0
Slot UNKNOWN
Slot Type UNKNOWN
Slot Usage Unknown
Bus Width 32 bit
Slot Designation PCMCIA socket 0
Slot Number 1
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
October 26, 2012 10:02:04 PM

If you can find on the Gateway site another motherboard using the same audio as the one you have and it has a windows 7 driver you can try downloading that driver to see if it will work on your computer.
I have done some searching also and came accross this on the Conexant site and you may have seen this as well in your dearch attempts.

PC Audio Support - Windows® 7

Conexant develops audio solutions that are used in a wide range of products including personal computers. We provide customized audio drivers to our customers, which include major computer manufacturers globally. At the request of these manufacturers, Conexant does not provide end-user support or drivers for PC audio products. If you have an issue with the audio configuration in Windows 7, please contact the manufacturer of your computer.

Have you actually contacted Gaeway support or customer service because it appears that may be your only solution.
m
l
October 26, 2012 11:49:40 PM

As per your advise I am searching the Motherboard manufacturer for a suitable driver.
As to the Gateway Support/Customer Service This laptop is a "gimme", someone gave it to me when I set-up his new Asus. It was manufactured in 2005. I'm not sure if gateway would be interested in helping. Perhaps for a substantial price they might be interested, I don't know. I enjoy "restoring" old machines, giving them a new life, as it were. I am a retired telecommunication engineer and I enjoy the challenge.
The machine,as I said, is years old and the posts for this type of problem are years old, I have read many dating back to 2007. I haven't found a solution, yet.I thank you for your time and ideas. If you think of anything else I can try do let me know, I'll be looking at the thread. Again thanks
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
October 26, 2012 11:56:02 PM

It just may be that Gateway has a driver solution and not that they would create one for you but they may be able to say that there is one or there isn't one. It would be helpfull knowing if you should keep looking or not.
If you prefer to keep looking then that's your choice and you may stumble accross a driver that was intended to be used on another motherboard and will work for you.
m
l
October 27, 2012 12:46:42 AM

I'll keep looking. An old motto I use to use " If it doesn't work, I'll make it work", I'm not sure that applies here but..... I think you are on to something, The motherboard cross-reference thing. I am searching for a similar motherboard with Win 7 drivers posted. I have never come across driver issue quite like this one. The machine is old but usually you could find a suitable drivers or "work-around" with a little effort. It's as if Gateway disavows the older machines. Did/Was Gateway sold in that time frame? I don't recall.
I had a (very expensive) Gateway laptop in the 90's, they had great tech support.
With some do diligence I should be able to analyze, adapt, and overcome.
I hope..... Maybe not..... Just enjoy the computer silents perhaps. Thanks again
m
l
October 27, 2012 1:15:51 PM

I did some research and saw that Gateway had indeed been aquired by Acer in that time frame. That could explain, with the introduction of Win7 beta, the laspe or lack of win7 drivers on the model I have. If I remember correctly Win 7 beta was leaked Dec. 08- Jan 09. I download the beta versions myself and "dual-booted" into an older machine I had at the time. Appearantly Gateway had "Bigger Fish to Fry" on or about that time.
Pity, I always had a soft spot for Gateway. Plucky little company with a great marketing gimick, Cow Box! It caught my eye. I feel sure there is some kid,much brighter than I, out there that has found a "work-around" for my problem so I will soldier on. I suppose I can always go back to Windows Vista Business N 64bit.I do appreciate you ideas and input. If you have anything further I'll monitor this thread and If I find a fix I'll post it as well. Much Thanks.
m
l
October 27, 2012 7:19:15 PM

inzone said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gateway,_Inc.

I guess it's been a rocky road for Gateway.

FYI: I changed some lines of code in the Windows Vista 64bit Audio and Modem drivers I found written for for a HP machine and modified the compatibility to Windows 7 64 and loaded the drivers to there respective devices, Conexant AC-Link Audio and AC97 Data Fax SoftModem with SmartCP. As of this writing all is working. I'm as happy as a clam at high tide, I must say. Thanks for your help. Again Thanks for you quick reply.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
October 27, 2012 7:23:38 PM

Wow good deal , maybe Gateway should hire you to make thier Windows 7 drivers , it appears they need someone. You can list me as a reference.
That sure must feel good to have accomplished that.
m
l
October 27, 2012 8:15:56 PM

inzone said:
Wow good deal , maybe Gateway should hire you to make thier Windows 7 drivers , it appears they need someone. You can list me as a reference.
That sure must feel good to have accomplished that.

If thay paid me by the hour I could buy a Ferrari, but I still could not afford to put fuel in it! After three day, and nights, it's a relief to complete the mission.
Now it's.. what next? When I was younger I would say, "I never met a machine I could not beat". It gets tougher and tougher the older I get. That said, It keeps me out of the bar. I can watch College Football in peace. My alma mater, U.of South Carolina, just ended. USC beat Tenn. 38-35, missed most of the game, maybe it will be re-played. Thanks. Talk to you soon.
m
l
May 22, 2013 11:39:17 AM

maxcarson said:
inzone said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gateway,_Inc.

I guess it's been a rocky road for Gateway.

FYI: I changed some lines of code in the Windows Vista 64bit Audio and Modem drivers I found written for for a HP machine and modified the compatibility to Windows 7 64 and loaded the drivers to there respective devices, Conexant AC-Link Audio and AC97 Data Fax SoftModem with SmartCP. As of this writing all is working. I'm as happy as a clam at high tide, I must say. Thanks for your help. Again Thanks for you quick reply.

I have the same issue that you had, however, I have never done anything with code. Is there an easier solution to the problem or do you have instruction on how to accomplish this task? I am trying to fix this for a fellow National Guardsmen.
m
l
May 22, 2013 4:28:30 PM

It's not as hard as it sounds. If your interested I'll gather the info and post, I think I sill have the drivers saved. All you do is ID the Hardware location of the devices. Which devices are Unknown? Audio? Fax modem? Post the info and perhaps I can help.
m
l
!