Inspiron 8200 Noisy Fan

Last week I wrote thinking that my hard drive was hurting.
Have now concluded that it is the Fan.

I know that fans make some noise, but, trust me, this is not
its 'normal' noise level. (for the lad thinking about
getting the Insp.6000 - until very recently the noise level
of my fan was totally acceptable)

Have been communicating via email with Dell Support and
since I have extended warranty, they are offering to pick up
machine and check-out/replace the fan.

Before I do that, though, I would like to run diagnostics.
ALthough the email agent gave me 'instructions', can't get
them to run.

I do not appear to have a separate diagnostic cd; all I have
is the one for reinstalling system software. (which
purportedly includes diagnostics and utilities).

Anyone know where I can find them/how I can run them?

Thanks
--

Rex's Mom

"Rex's Mom" <labsrgreat@invalid.com> wrote in message
> Last week I wrote thinking that my hard drive was hurting. Have now
> concluded that it is the Fan.
>
> I know that fans make some noise, but, trust me, this is not its 'normal'
> noise level. (for the lad thinking about getting the Insp.6000 - until
> very recently the noise level of my fan was totally acceptable)
>
> Have been communicating via email with Dell Support and since I have
> extended warranty, they are offering to pick up machine and
> check-out/replace the fan.
>
> Before I do that, though, I would like to run diagnostics. ALthough the
> email agent gave me 'instructions', can't get them to run.
>
> I do not appear to have a separate diagnostic cd; all I have is the one
> for reinstalling system software. (which purportedly includes diagnostics
> and utilities).
>
> Anyone know where I can find them/how I can run them?
>
> Thanks
> --
>
> Rex's Mom

Boot the REsource CD

Tom Scales wrote:
> "Rex's Mom" <labsrgreat@invalid.com> wrote in message
>
>>Last week I wrote thinking that my hard drive was hurting. Have now
>>concluded that it is the Fan.
>>
>>I know that fans make some noise, but, trust me, this is not its 'normal'
>>noise level. (for the lad thinking about getting the Insp.6000 - until
>>very recently the noise level of my fan was totally acceptable)
>>
>>Have been communicating via email with Dell Support and since I have
>>extended warranty, they are offering to pick up machine and
>>check-out/replace the fan.
>>
>>Before I do that, though, I would like to run diagnostics. ALthough the
>>email agent gave me 'instructions', can't get them to run.
>>
>>I do not appear to have a separate diagnostic cd; all I have is the one
>>for reinstalling system software. (which purportedly includes diagnostics
>>and utilities).
>>
>>Anyone know where I can find them/how I can run them?
>>
>>Thanks
>>--
>>
>>Rex's Mom
>>

> Boot the REsource CD

I do not appear to have a Resource CD. The closest I have
is: 'Drivers, Utilities, and Applications' (for reinstalling
Dell System Software). I did try re-booting with the CD in
place and it went through its 'normal' boot.

Isn't there a way to start the machine, hit one of the
Function keys and get to diagnostics. I vaguely recalling
doing this with a Dell tech on the line. Cannot remember
how, cannot find any notes I may have made AND cannot find
it in any of the Dell Support places I have already looked.

Please, please I need an answer - the noise is unacceptable
and I have extensive needs to do things on my computer.

--

Rex's Mom

Rex's Mom wrote:

> Tom Scales wrote:
>
>> "Rex's Mom" <labsrgreat@invalid.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Last week I wrote thinking that my hard drive was hurting. Have now
>>> concluded that it is the Fan.
>>>
>>> I know that fans make some noise, but, trust me, this is not its
>>> 'normal' noise level. (for the lad thinking about getting the
>>> Insp.6000 - until very recently the noise level of my fan was
>>> totally acceptable)
>>>
>>> Have been communicating via email with Dell Support and since I have
>>> extended warranty, they are offering to pick up machine and
>>> check-out/replace the fan.
>>>
>>> Before I do that, though, I would like to run diagnostics. ALthough
>>> the email agent gave me 'instructions', can't get them to run.
>>>
>>> I do not appear to have a separate diagnostic cd; all I have is the
>>> one for reinstalling system software. (which purportedly includes
>>> diagnostics and utilities).
>>>
>>> Anyone know where I can find them/how I can run them?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> --
>>>
>>> Rex's Mom
>>>

>> Boot the REsource CD
>>
> I do not appear to have a Resource CD. The closest I have is:
> 'Drivers, Utilities, and Applications' (for reinstalling Dell System
> Software). I did try re-booting with the CD in place and it went
> through its 'normal' boot.
>
> Isn't there a way to start the machine, hit one of the Function keys
> and get to diagnostics. I vaguely recalling doing this with a Dell
> tech on the line. Cannot remember how, cannot find any notes I may
> have made AND cannot find it in any of the Dell Support places I have
> already looked.
>

> Please, please I need an answer - the noise is unacceptable and I have
> extensive needs to do things on my computer.

You should have received a diagnostic CD and you should have diagnostics
on your hard drive unless you removed them or changed out the drive,
however, here are the diagnostics for the Inspiron 8200:
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/devices.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&SystemID=INS_PNT_P4_8200&category=13&os=WW1&osl=EN

Rex's Mom wrote:

> Tom Scales wrote:
>
>> "Rex's Mom" <labsrgreat@invalid.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Last week I wrote thinking that my hard drive was hurting. Have now
>>> concluded that it is the Fan.
>>>
>>> I know that fans make some noise, but, trust me, this is not its
>>> 'normal' noise level. (for the lad thinking about getting the
>>> Insp.6000 - until very recently the noise level of my fan was totally
>>> acceptable)
>>>
>>> Have been communicating via email with Dell Support and since I have
>>> extended warranty, they are offering to pick up machine and
>>> check-out/replace the fan.
>>>
>>> Before I do that, though, I would like to run diagnostics. ALthough
>>> the email agent gave me 'instructions', can't get them to run.
>>>
>>> I do not appear to have a separate diagnostic cd; all I have is the
>>> one for reinstalling system software. (which purportedly includes
>>> diagnostics and utilities).
>>>
>>> Anyone know where I can find them/how I can run them?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> --
>>>
>>> Rex's Mom
>>>

>> Boot the REsource CD
>>
> I do not appear to have a Resource CD. The closest I have is: 'Drivers,
> Utilities, and Applications' (for reinstalling Dell System Software). I
> did try re-booting with the CD in place and it went through its 'normal'
> boot.
>
> Isn't there a way to start the machine, hit one of the Function keys and
> get to diagnostics. I vaguely recalling doing this with a Dell tech on
> the line. Cannot remember how, cannot find any notes I may have made AND
> cannot find it in any of the Dell Support places I have already looked.
>

> Please, please I need an answer - the noise is unacceptable and I have
> extensive needs to do things on my computer.

Finally got a human being at Dell and go thte answer (turns
out the CD I have does the trick.)

Thanks anyway.

--

Rex's Mom

Jerry Park wrote:

> Rex's Mom wrote:
>
>> Tom Scales wrote:
>>
>>> "Rex's Mom" <labsrgreat@invalid.com> wrote in message

>>> Boot the REsource CD
>>>
>> I do not appear to have a Resource CD. The closest I have is:
>> 'Drivers, Utilities, and Applications' (for reinstalling Dell System
>> Software). I did try re-booting with the CD in place and it went
>> through its 'normal' boot.
>>
>> Isn't there a way to start the machine, hit one of the Function keys
>> and get to diagnostics. I vaguely recalling doing this with a Dell
>> tech on the line. Cannot remember how, cannot find any notes I may
>> have made AND cannot find it in any of the Dell Support places I have
>> already looked.
>>

>> Please, please I need an answer - the noise is unacceptable and I have
>> extensive needs to do things on my computer.
>>
> You should have received a diagnostic CD and you should have diagnostics
> on your hard drive unless you removed them or changed out the drive,
> however, here are the diagnostics for the Inspiron 8200:
> http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/devices.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&SystemID=INS_PNT_P4_8200&category=13&os=WW1&osl=EN

Thanks for that.

You raised a point which raises another question:
Yes, my hard drive was changed, but I used a service to
transfer the data and they assured me that everything was
transferred.

Furthermore, I was (see the thread 'Ignore....) able to run
the diagnostics from my CD (naming problem...everyone was
referring to that cd by a different name, but, it worked in
the end).

So...the question...do you think I have 'lost' my diagnostics?

Thanks

--

Rex's Mom