Another LCD monitor question

Two LCD monitors, one a 15-inch using its native 1024x768 resolution, and
the other a 17-inch using its native 1280x1024 resolution. Which one would
have the bigger icons, text, and images? If I were to take a ruler and
measure the same desktop icons or webpage images on the two different
monitors, which would have the larger stuff (in other words, easier on my
aging eyes). Thank you all.

--
Have both a nice day and a happy life, Acadia.
15 answers Last reply

    as a way to compare the physical differences you can do this calculation...
    17" lcd is about 13" wide which means about 98dpi horizontally if set to
    1280x1024
    15" lcd is about 9.75" wide which means about 105dpi horizontally if set to
    1024x768
    so, you could say the 15" would have larger icons...
    but that is really not the best way to look at it (no pun intended).
    you can set your monitor to the optimal resolution of the display and then
    adjust fonts in various ways within windows.
    in the display properties you can select the general font size, changing it
    to a standard large font, or create a custom size if necessary. within
    internet explorer you can select view-textsize and change it from
    smaller/smallest/medium/larger/largest. within office applications you can
    adjust the magnification of the document/spreadsheet/whatever. i say get
    the physically largest monitor that you can fit on your desk and afford and
    then adjust the windows settings to make it work best for you.

    Christopher Muto wrote:
    > as a way to compare the physical differences you can do this calculation...
    > 17" lcd is about 13" wide which means about 98dpi horizontally if set to
    > 1280x1024
    > 15" lcd is about 9.75" wide which means about 105dpi horizontally if set to
    > 1024x768
    > so, you could say the 15" would have larger icons...

    Greater dpi means images (which have the same number of dots) will
    appear smaller. So the 17" would have larger icons, but only by 7%.

    Thanks Christopher. Yes, I'm aware of the adjustments that can be made, and
    I have experimented with those many adjustments using my CRT. But I have
    discovered, unless I am missing something, that most websites cannot be
    adjusted, and surfing is my main concern when it comes to my eyes. Am I
    missing something when it comes to adjusting the size of website text and
    images, I'm using IE6? Thank again.

    --
    Have both a nice day and a happy life, Acadia.

    Open IE 6 Right click on an empty space on the toolbar. Select
    customize. Scroll down the list till you find the Size button. Select
    it and click add. Close your way out. The button you added allows you to
    change the text size on web pages if you need to.

    --
    Steve Williams

    > Thanks Christopher. Yes, I'm aware of the adjustments that can be
    made, and
    > I have experimented with those many adjustments using my CRT. But I
    have
    > discovered, unless I am missing something, that most websites cannot
    be
    > adjusted, and surfing is my main concern when it comes to my eyes. Am
    > missing something when it comes to adjusting the size of website text
    and
    > images, I'm using IE6? Thank again.
    >
    > --
    > Have both a nice day and a happy life, Acadia.

    windows xp has a utility called the magnifier that may be of interest to
    you. it takes the top quarter of the screen (you can make the area smaller
    or larger or even put it into a floatable window) to display the area around
    the current position of the mouse pointer in a highly magnified manner. you
    can choose the level of magnification. check it out on an xp machine...
    start-programs-accessories-accessibility-magnifier

    "Acadia" <acadiaNOT@ONyourLIFE.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks Christopher. Yes, I'm aware of the adjustments that can be made,
    and
    > I have experimented with those many adjustments using my CRT. But I have
    > discovered, unless I am missing something, that most websites cannot be
    > adjusted, and surfing is my main concern when it comes to my eyes. Am I
    > missing something when it comes to adjusting the size of website text and
    > images, I'm using IE6? Thank again.
    >
    > --
    > Have both a nice day and a happy life, Acadia.

    Thanks, Steve. Yes, I am familiar with this but unfortunately, this only
    works on certain websites, in fact, it only works on a minority of the sites
    that I visit. Thanks for the suggestion though and I'll take any other
    suggestions anyone can think of.

    --
    Have both a nice day and a happy life, Acadia.

    Try this...
    While in internet explorer select "Tools/Internet Options" and using the
    "General" tab click "accessibility" check "ignore font sizes on web pages"

    This little fix made a world of difference in my browsing comfort. Playing
    around with the settings here, I discovered that you can also get rid of
    some of those horrendous color schemes on some web pages too!

    Rina

    > Thanks, Steve. Yes, I am familiar with this but unfortunately, this only
    > works on certain websites, in fact, it only works on a minority of the
    sites
    > that I visit. Thanks for the suggestion though and I'll take any other
    > suggestions anyone can think of.
    >
    > --
    > Have both a nice day and a happy life, Acadia.

    Whoa, Rina, how did I miss that one? THANK YOU, that is making a world of
    difference ... play time. Thanks again, may your camels always lead you to
    fresh water.

    --
    Have both a nice day and a happy life, Acadia.

    AH... I'm glad it worked for you! I picked this little gem on this newsgroup
    about a month ago. (after a year of tweaking)

    Rina

    > Whoa, Rina, how did I miss that one? THANK YOU, that is making a world of
    > difference ... play time. Thanks again, may your camels always lead you
    > fresh water.

    good catch. nice to know somebody actually reads these things.

    On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 19:38:03 GMT, "Rina" <Grammy_Geek@comcast.net>
    wrote:

    >AH... I'm glad it worked for you! I picked this little gem on this newsgroup
    >about a month ago. (after a year of tweaking)
    >
    >Rina
    >

    >"Acadia" <acadiaNOT@ONyourLIFE.com> wrote in message
    >> Whoa, Rina, how did I miss that one? THANK YOU, that is making a world of
    >> difference ... play time. Thanks again, may your camels always lead you
    >> fresh water.

    While it does work, Java generated pages come out looking rather
    strange. However, those are the ones that give me problems as well
    and are the ones that you can't normally change.

    Mike

    Interesting, thanks for the info.

    --
    Have both a nice day and a happy life, Acadia.

    > Greater dpi means images (which have the same number of dots) will
    > appear smaller. So the 17" would have larger icons, but only by 7%.

    Tom, I posted this question in four different forums, and of all the people
    who responded, you're the only one who said the 17" monitor with the higher
    resolution would have the larger icons. I'm confused by the formulas that
    everyone is using, could you possibly go into further detail, thank you very
    much.

    --

    Acadia wrote:
    >>Greater dpi means images (which have the same number of dots) will
    >>appear smaller. So the 17" would have larger icons, but only by 7%.
    >

    > Tom, I posted this question in four different forums, and of all the people
    > who responded, you're the only one who said the 17" monitor with the higher
    > resolution would have the larger icons. I'm confused by the formulas that
    > everyone is using, could you possibly go into further detail, thank you very
    > much.

    Ironically, I get different results when I mesured my 15 and 17 inch
    Dell LCD monitors than the figures for pixels per inch that Christopher
    Muto posted. It looks like he miscalculated the width of the 15" display
    (I get 12" he got 9.75)

    The icons have a fixed size in terms of their dimension in pixels. My
    1504FP (15" monitor) measures 12" wide, and displays 1024 pixels in
    those 12", or 85 pixels per inch. My 1702FP (17" monitor) measures 13.3"
    wide and displays 1280 pixels, or 96 pixels per inch. So the 17" monitor
    will display icons smaller.

    In any case, almost everything is adjustable so it really doesn't matter.

    On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 10:14:27 -0700, Tom Almy <tomalmy@aracnet.com>
    wrote:

    >Acadia wrote:
    >>>Greater dpi means images (which have the same number of dots) will
    >>>appear smaller. So the 17" would have larger icons, but only by 7%.
    >>

    >> Tom, I posted this question in four different forums, and of all the people
    >> who responded, you're the only one who said the 17" monitor with the higher
    >> resolution would have the larger icons. I'm confused by the formulas that
    >> everyone is using, could you possibly go into further detail, thank you very
    >> much.
    >>

    >Ironically, I get different results when I mesured my 15 and 17 inch
    >Dell LCD monitors than the figures for pixels per inch that Christopher
    >Muto posted. It looks like he miscalculated the width of the 15" display
    >(I get 12" he got 9.75)
    >
    >The icons have a fixed size in terms of their dimension in pixels. My
    >1504FP (15" monitor) measures 12" wide, and displays 1024 pixels in
    >those 12", or 85 pixels per inch. My 1702FP (17" monitor) measures 13.3"
    >wide and displays 1280 pixels, or 96 pixels per inch. So the 17" monitor
    >will display icons smaller.
    >
    >In any case, almost everything is adjustable so it really doesn't matter.

    Adding one more figure to Tom's numbers... My 19" monitor (1900FP) is
    14.75 inches wide, and has a native resolution of 1280x1024, which works
    out to 86 pixels per inch or almost as "big" as the 15" monitor.

    As for web browsing, you might try the Opera web browser
    (http://www.opera.com). It has a magnification widget on the toolbar
    which lets you choose any magnification from 20% to 1000%. It magnifies
    (or shrinks) the entire page; text, pictures and all. If you hold down
    the Ctrl key on the keyboard, the mouse wheel will zoom the page in and
    out -- its very slick.

    Jeff Bean

Dell LCD Monitor Resolution Monitors Computers